John warring cup.

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Deanoledge, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Deanoledge

Deanoledge FHF Starter

A question for Irish hockey people. Does anyone know about the rumor about the john warring cup becoming a u-14 schools tournament in linsnagarvey for top two schools from each province? If you do please post all the info you know.

2. F1-mania

F1-mania FHF Legend

Well, as far as my schools coach has told me, it's been confirmed.

Reason being that the family that donated the trophy apparently aren't too keen on the competition being competitive, and donated it so that it'd be a fun tournament for the love of the game. However, as I'm sure you know, it was the second sort of high point of the season, and teams that competed did actually take it rather seriously. Because they thought it was over the top, they moved it to U-14 where it probably wouldn't be taken as seriously and actually would just be played for the fun of it. Whether or not that come into fruition is yet to be seen, because I remember being fairly competitive when I was in second year.

It's a pity really, it sounded like good fun, and I was seriously looking forward to playing in it this season. Alas, not to be.

3. Deanoledge

Deanoledge FHF Starter

That's great to know. Thanks. Any dates confirmed yet?

4. F1-mania

F1-mania FHF Legend

I presume it'll be march again. Last few weeks before easter.

5. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

Makes sense to me as John was far more involved at the younger end of schools hockey rather than 1st and 2nd teams and he was a Garvey Stalwart, so playing it there again makes sense. He was the Head of Friends Prep while I was at "the big school" but I never remember him having anything to do with any of the Friends teams. We (my age group) got to know him better through Garvey and his son.

6. Deanoledge

Deanoledge FHF Starter

I heard from lads in school its on wednesday 6th of APRIL. It sounds also like it will be held up north. Which is class as il miss a good part of 2 days of school.
    Got our Semi NEXT WEEK!!!! CANT WAIT!!!
    ( better win couldnt bear losng as id have to listen to all the lads at club trainin)

7. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

John Waring was an excellent schools umpire and organiser and a fantastic person. He worked tirelessly for the sport both at his school, his club and for the Ulster Branch Schools Committie. His emphasis was on fun for the kids, ensuring their safety as well as the developmnet of the sport.
    I knew John for many many years and even when I coached for or against him, his instructions to the teams he had influence was on was fun first.
    I hope this move is a success and that it is a fitting tribute to such a fine gentleman.

8. BrianWaring

BrianWaring FHF Newbie

Just to clarify : the move to change the format/age-group in relation to the John Waring Trophy did not come from the Waring family. As far as I'm aware the desire for change came from somewhere within the IHA. I first heard of a possible change in format for the Trophy at a coaches/managers meeting held during the most recent Irish Schools Competition hosted by Wesley College in Dublin. (October 2010.)
    The family has no strong feelings in terms of who plays for the trophy / when / or where. I was fully informed, by the Chief Executive of the IHA, of the thinking behind the reasons for the change and I understood and agreed fully with the reasoning. The relevant people within the IHA have continued to keep the family informed via the Schools Committee of the Ulster Branch.
    I'll leave it to others to publicise the exact details of the revised format for the Trophy, suffice to say the Waring family is fully supportive of the actions of the IHA.
    I'm fairly confident that Dad wouldn't have been too bothered at all about who was playing for a trophy that was named after him (in fact I think he'd be pretty embarrassed by the whole thing !)
    As long as there was some decent hockey being played somewhere in the right spirit then he'd be quite content.

I hope that clarifies things. If it doesn't, then tough : as it took me about 35 minutes to work out how to 'register' myself on the forum never mind actually typing my message (I.T. was never my strong point), I've no intention of posting again any time soon !!
    Regards to all,
    Brian

9. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

Totally agree with how your father would have felt. Plus knowing you so well I know that you have followed in his footsteps and play and coach for the fun of the game and the enjoyment of the players.

Having know you such a long time, I will tell a short story that brought a smile to your dads face and just epitomised his sense of fun.

It was back when you played in Dublin U16 inter-pro, and they had just allowed players to lift the ball into the circle over a flat stcik. Ulster produced a flowing move that led to you lifting the ball over a flat stick on the edge of the circle and struck a shot about a foot into the circle. A classic goal, everyone clapped, cheered,it was a fantastic goal, disallowed, whan asked by the coach the umpire stated that the rule allowed for lifting into the circle but not for a shot to be performend if the ball bounced.
    Wesley college sand base, never had a bounce on it, but when talking to your dad he just laughed at the decision and said he had seen a perfect goal and that was what he would remember.

10. F1-mania

F1-mania FHF Legend

Just to clarify, the family comment was simply something that I'd been told. As I'm sure you know, there a copious amount of rubbish that get's thrown around between 5th/6th years, and this appears to have been another case of that. Slightly unfortunate, but I'll apologise on my part for bringing it up in case I struck any chords.

Andrews should be up with a strong chance of winning this. Managed to get in another good year in our U14's having won the cup and league comfortably last year, looking solid for a repeat, and having comfortably beaten Friends and Wallace this year. We'll see how it goes, but I wouldn't put it past them winning it.

Still somewhat disappointed it's no longer a senior competition. As great as the All Irelands in October was for me personally, I'd love the Super 6's at the end of the year as a chance for redemption for that defeat in the final. Regardless of how we do in the provincial competition, it's a bit of a shame that we never really get another crack at Banbridge in a competitive game. It also seemed a decent opportunity to for some extra games between the provinces, as that seems to be happening all too rarely at the moment. Sure, we've playing Friends, Wallace and Banbridge this season, but it seems a pity that we haven't been able to match up to the likes of Bandon and Cookstown this year. I know that the Ulster league is slightly more competitive than the one we've seen in Leinster over recent seasons, but I personally feel that the Andrews/Wesley monopoly in Leinster is getting a little boring, and that the super 6's at the end of the year takes away from that a little bit, with teams being able to prepare for another opponent, other than the other school.

I suppose that it's a great opportunity for U14's though. Wish I'd had it back in second year personally. There's quite a few players that dropped out of our team at the end of second year to concentrate on Rugby or another sport. Perhaps a competition like this is just what's needed to keep younger players interested. I don't think playing a mediocre standard of rugby will eclipse playing hockey if there's a national title on the line.

11. Allen harrison

Allen harrison FHF Newbie

Did the John Waring discussed here live at 40, Llewellyn Ave. ?

12. BrianWaring

BrianWaring FHF Newbie

That's going back a few years. Yes, he lived on Llewellyn Avenue in Lisburn.

13. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

Changing subject slightly .... if the rumours on the mainland are true about youself and Mark "retiring" at the end of the season are true Brian, congrats on a great career with Garvey.

14. Malbec

Malbec FHF Newbie

Allen - you are quite right. He lived at no.40. What's your connection/interest?