Is it Fair?

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by keeper2234, Mar 17, 2017.

1. keeper2234

keeper2234 FHF Starter

Hi, with my school 1st XI trials coming up next week, I have been told by the Head Coach that "Realistically we will go with Dave (Not his real name) because he was last years goalie and he is pushing for a leadership position in the team" Now I believe this isn't fair because he is basically telling me that I have no chance to be the number 1 goalie for this year. So any advice on what I could do? Cause I don't know if I want to trial if they just going to use the same keeper as last year, and my main issue is that, not being rude to him, there are better options, for example (Not trying to be cocky) myself, and the other keeper who is going for the spot. So I don't really know what to do, Do I trial and give them no reason to not choose me or do I not bother and see where they put me?
    Any help will be appreciated
    Thanks

2. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

I had this issue many many many years ago with under 18 trials , was obvious as soon as turned up the selectors weren't interested in keepers and we were left standing about till near the end when used for shooting drills , a keeper that didn't even attend was picked ahead of the three of us that did.....I refused to go back which I now regret.
    Use it as a learning opportunity and also nail the session and make the coaches stance that bit difficult too maintain. ......

3. Mdevanshk

Mdevanshk FHF Star Player

Go. If you do you have a chance regardless of how slim. If you don't go, no chance at all....

4. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

You, the coach and probably "Dave" themselves probably don't know what "Dave" will be doing next year, including whether they even playing hockey or even attending school at all. Planning player continuity for a school team is largely a craps shoot

If it turns out "Dave" actually won't play this year or breaks their leg halfway through, you will be front of the line to replace them by dint of being the only other goalkeeper to show an interest. You have that much more reason to go and trial. There's even a chance they realise the error of their ways, or that it turns out they're right and you could learn a few things to improve on.

On the other hand, a goalkeeper doesn't push for leadership positions; goalkeeping is a leadership position! If they mean seniority, that's not going to come from anything except time in the team, and time in the team can only reasonably come from being the best selection available.

If they mean captaincy, I would seriously question the honesty of the coach's statement or their sensibility and fitness to work with a hockey team, and probably both based on what you've said.

Finally, leadership is not something you can push for, or be given. It is something you do - leadership is an action and mindset that is recognised, not a title assigned. So: this could be a team that is better avoided anyway. You would have to look at their recent record, as a team and this coach in particular, to know which way it goes, and make your own decision about whether it is worthwhile to you, to fight for a place in this team.

benchy likes this.
  5. bigdave1981

bigdave1981 FHF Top Player

I had exactly the same at when I went for county trials when I was at school, hey had a selection of 4 keepers from different schools and 1 of them played the year before so thought I had no chance.
    I turned up and gave it 100% as I would always do and not only impressed my head teacher (who was there watching) but the selectors and other GKs.
    I was selected to play a friendly county game in which I saved a PS from an under 18 England player at the time and even he said that I played a stormer.
    I would go for the trials and put everything on the plate... as said above "if you don't go, no chance at all".

6. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

If it's close, they'll pick Dave, because he's the incumbent. Whether that's fair or not, it is understandable. If someone else is clearly better than Dave, Dave gets to use his leadership skills and 1st XI experience to make the 2nd XI better. So turn up and be clearly the best option.

Also, let's say you know Fred is clearly a better goalie than you, he'll be picked for 1st XI, the best you can hope for is 2nd XI, maybe 1st XI next year. Would you attend the trials? What's your aim in trialling/playing for the school team? Is it 1st XI or nothing? Or is it representing the school as well as you can at whatever level you're selected for, and ending the season a better keeper than you started it?

7. Peakey

Peakey FHF Regular Player

Still show up. Get your face, name and skills out there for everyone to see.

You have to sell your brand if you want people to buy you.

The more people recognise you, the more chances that one day you'll be the Dave.

GK13 likes this.
  8. JBarron24

JBarron24 FHF Top Player

Turn up, make a good impression of yourself, be coachable. If 'Dave' breaks his leg 1st game of the season you're probably gonna be top of the list to replace him. Show a poor attitude or don't bother to turn up you'll be at the back of the list.

It comes down to whether you want to play as much hockey as possible or just want to be a BNOC...

9. SPetitt

SPetitt FHF All Time Great

Gloucestershire, Buckinghamshire & Costa del Sol
    As has been said, Go, and put on your best show ...what have you got to lose?

At least you are not likely to be asked to play CF which sort-of happened to me, at club trials, all too often, in my later playing years ...I'd say "I'll play anywhere up front" and I'd get "OK, will you try playing at Fullback, please?" :mad: (They were really only looking for 1st/2nd XI players and often had preconceived ideas which were hard to change)
    But that was MANY tears ago, so things have probably improved ... Good Luck.

10. keeper2234

keeper2234 FHF Starter

Just thought I should give a little update on what happened this season. So I trialed, did pretty well, got put in the 3rd XI, which is what I expected, based on what the coach was telling me. However, I trial for my regional team at Under 18 level and make the top team (which is the top level you can play at school age), which at 16 isn't half bad. Now with the school nationals tournament coming up they have the ability to take 2 keepers with them and they have decided to take the the keeper who is in the 2nd XI because "He has been around for 3 years in the 2nd XI and we want to use it as a way of saying thanks for sticking around" So they sending the 2nd XI keeper, who might I add trialed for the Regional team that I made but he didn't make either team. (At under 18 level there is the regional team and an association team, basically development) Now I not trying to be a dick or cocky but to me it seems that my schools selections are screwed up, that they are not taking the keeper who made the regional side, but they are taking 2 keepers that aren't up to the same level. Basically I'm frustrated. Just using this as a blow out. Anyways thanks for all the replies when I first posted this.

11. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

Assuming that's the one in Canberra late in the year, I'm interested to see how many teams show up and what the standard is like.

Mick Mason and keeper2234 like this.
  12. keeper2234

keeper2234 FHF Starter

I'm in New Zealand so it is the Rankin Cup and India Shield tournament

13. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

Which means they've also got your record at Regionals to consider. That may well have been a factor, especially if your team's performance was lower than expected, regardless of how you went personally.

Secondly, pure skill as an individual is not enough. I was far from the best keeper in my previous club - straight shots beat me 90% and 1VGK leaves me on the ground while they dribble into goal. But I performed better because of how I worked with the team, and how I managed myself during a match (when you're 0-0 in 67th and they've got a 3V1 attack, are you going to crack and panic?).

Third, these guys have been in that team for a season and they are likely to know each other from years back. The coach knows they can play as a team, almost exactly what level is expected, and they can plan for it. You? Unknown stranger, and at a pinnacle tournament, that's too much risk.