Is a goalie obliged to move out of the way?

Discussion in 'PS and Goalkeeping' started by cde, Apr 4, 2008.

1. cde

cde FHF Newbie

Please help.

As a keeper - it is well known - we have trouble doing up our shoe laces, let alone knowing the rules of hockey. But I really thought I knew the rule regarding 'logging' and the ball near the keeper - I THOUGHT it went like this ...

If the ball is stuck in clothing or the keeper is ON TOP of the ball - short corner.
    If the keeper is lying in FRONT of the ball but the ball is free and open - play on UNLESS the keeper is getting hit with sticks then 16 hit to keep the keeper safe.

This Saturday we were playing and at the other end, the opposing keeper logged and the ball was free and open for our players to try and pull back to get control - after the game ended, one of my outfield players said it should have been a short, saying the keeper made no effort to get out the way. I was on the side of the opposing keeper - I said he would have been stupid to get out of the way and as long as he just lay there he was well within his rights to do just that - I have done that loads of time.

The player I was talking to was ADAMENT that there had been (to use his words) not a change in the rules but a change in the interpretation such that the keeper MUST make an effort to get out of the way - he said this was supposed to safe guard the keeper because, if play was allowed to continue, the attackers could just WACK the ball into the prone keeper and possibley break his ribs.

Please help so I know what I should be doing, or at least be able to argue my point in the bar with some authority. Many thanks.

2. patpat

patpat FHF Legend

Nope nothing about moving out of the way in the rule book. 10.3 is the closest to what your friend is suggesting but that only states that a goalkeeper must not lie on the ball. As a keeper myself I cannot see why i would move from that position. I trust the umpires to stop play if i'm getting beaten. It should be the players and umpires, and not the keepers, job to make sure that the keeper doesn't get wacked.

Your friend is wrong about this one. :rolleyes:

3. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

Interesting thoughts from a Bangor GK and maybe correct i am not sure but if the keeper is stopping his own defenders from getting at the ball to clear it i have know a few in your own club who would have beaten you, never mind the opposition. If you are not from Bangor NI i am sorry

4. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I agree with patpat. Spot on. :yes:

5. patpat

patpat FHF Legend

I am from that Bangor. And my defenders always tell me that if nessary to go through them to get a ball. I don't however expect the same back. lmao. But yes some guys in my club can get pritty worked up at times. I like to think of myself as a calming influence. :yes:

6. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

You must be good ,do think you have a positive influence on Mc Vic, Toddy, Ab,Keely and a like i have seen them in action. No matter who blocked their way to the ball got it.
    Technically if you go through your own player to get a ball you are guilty of dangerous play and should have a corner given against you and carded.
    Not sure but if you took out one of my defenders you would be in hot water

7. Bodgecampbell

Bodgecampbell FHF Regular Player

Would have to agree with the patpat, as far as I'm aware the keeper, providing not deliberatly covering/obstructing the opposition from getting at the ball, can lie where he likes!!!
    This season I've seen fouls given on more than one occasion against attackers who, with the keeper prone and the ball a short distance away have hit the ball back into the keeper! (One made no attempt to lift it, the other was an attempt at lifting it that failed.) On both occasions the attacker's were highly enraged (especially as in both occasions, the rebound was subsequently tapped in, but disallowed), but I think the umpires got it spot on! (but I'm biased!)

Euan

8. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

No agree it is upto the attacker to bring the ball back and lift it over the gk. No probs with that.
    The other is a bit of by play with patpat.
    Though it does raise an interesting topic discussed before i think
    GK on the ground three defenders go to the line and stand behind the GK, attacker drags ball back and then lifts it over the GK hitting a defender with his shot, free out as the defender has a righht to be on the line and the shot is now dangerous play, or stroke.
    What do you think

9. hobo

hobo FHF Regular Player

@ grumpy: Oh no, not that one again :no:!!! (runs to hide)

10. patpat

patpat FHF Legend

@ grumpy
    They play 4s i play 6s. Well when i did played 4s they didn't. I don't think toddy's that bad anymore. May be something to do with the fact that if he flips out one of his pupils plays on the same team as him so he would get questioned on it the next time he had his year 11 class for add maths. I haven't seen him play in a while though but he wasn't freaking out then. And Ab plays with him but again when i last saw him play he wasn't freaking out or anthing. To be honest its davey shields you need to watch out for on that team him or paul scott. I think paul is the only guy who has been sent off while playing with that team this season.
    I've never taken out any of my defenders. No matter how many times they tell me that if i need to to go through them. Club or school. It just isn't good to take out your own team.

And i would say if they attempted to play the ball then free out. If it was a dangerous ball. If they didn't attempt to play it i would say flick. But i have a feeling this is going to be keely'd

11. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

I would agree. No doubt the umpires will come up with the correct rule but 20 interpretations. I look forward to it with fear

12. hobo

hobo FHF Regular Player

Grumpy,

This issue has been discussed endlessly and is a can of worms best not reopened

13. keely

keely FHF Legend

Grumpy, it will not be reopened.

Check here and here for just the most recent versions why.

14. Snoody

Snoody FHF All Time Great

Nati...
    Now whatever happened to that nice young man... ;) lol

15. geriverstik50

geriverstik50 FHF Regular Player

Great to see this actually in action (keely'ing I mean)

16. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Perhaps it has the same effect as being keely-hauled (sic)...... that was a pretty salutory experience, I'd guess ;)

17. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

i'm coming to this late and drunk

may i say...
    Mojitos and ibuprofen is an excellent cure for broken ribs...

but on topic

keeper can lie where she/he likes so long as not obstructing the ball...

and keelying has happened many many times geriverstik.. don't get yourself keely'd on a post about keelying!

18. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Keely does not have the power (thank the powers that be) to move the post to the Sin Bin for a little cooling off, however I do and lets make sure that it does not need to happen.

And for the lurkers and detractors out there, this is not doing what Keely says this is acting fair and reasonable. Appologies to readers as it appears that I will have to remove the thistle down in my foot, aah thats better [sighs with relief].

19. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

<Native American accent..Warner Bros version> Magpie speak with forked tongue......... what the fork is he saying ? :baffled:

20. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

I never said i wanted it open, i know enough about this forum and especially the umpires bit.
    I have umpired enough to know how to handle the situation.
    I will do what all coaches and players have to do keep quiet.