interesting Youtube stuff

Discussion in 'Interpretation; Advantage; What if?' started by braxer001, Mar 9, 2007.

1. keely

keely FHF Legend

If your stick motion is with the purpose of moving the ball to another location, you're fine. If all you're doing is "blocking the jab and protecting the ball", as you say in your words, absolutely you are obstructing. The key is to watch where the ball goes - if you as an attacker don't move the ball anywhere, but interpose your stick between the ball and the tackler, you are committing an offense.

2. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Not, IMO, if, in moving your stick over the ball you are merely attempting to move it away from the jab, Craggsy. Stick-ball contact and usually some ball-movement is what I look for.

It's really difficult, IMO, to spot some of these when 'expertly' performed, and many an umpire has been conned by a skilful ball-carrier who holds his/her stick in an obstructing position, or even lifts it into the tackler's stick, thereby making it appear he/she's been fouled.

OTOH, many 'jab-tackles' are, IMO, more 'hopeful' than 'skilful' and tend to 'take everything' :eek:

Simultaneous postings here... I hope we are more or less in agreement!

3. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

Ok think that gets me with this is, if im running and i want to keep the ball moving forward, i dont want to have to move the ball to the side, I should be able to move reverse and as long as im in contact with the ball and the defender clatters my stick then he is fouling me ?

4. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Probably, Craggsy, but don't bet on getting the call very time ;)

5. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

Yea I know, just seemed weird to me as there is obvious sticking you stick in the way to stop them getting the ball but if you simply go over to the reverse and the ball continues where it was going originally then its bit unfair to say attacker is stopping the ball being played, as that's what your meant to do when you have the ball keep a hold of it lol

6. keely

keely FHF Legend

Frankly, Craggsy, I have no idea what you're trying to get at with your description. Must be a terminology thing.

It's one of the basic principles of hockey that all players have equal access to the ball, and you can't protect the ball with your stick or body - you just have to move it away. Otherwise, we'd be playing ice hockey on the turf.

Hope that helps.

7. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

The fact is, as I suggested elsewhere, a while ago, when you are in possession of the ball, it is almost inevitable that your body/stick will be between some opposition players and the ball.

However, you are not obstructing/shielding unless you clearly MOVE your body/stick into a position which prevents a legal tackle.

I understand your point, because, by taking your stick over the ball in order to move it away from an intending tackler, you may make such a legal tackle impossible.

It's a matter of critical timing, and the umpire has to decide whether your stick move was intended to move the ball(OK), or to block the tackle(probably obstruction/shielding).

In the video the difference was fairly obvious.... in reality, umpires won't all see it the same way..... you just have to hope you get a good'un, and put up with it if you don't ;)

There are ways to play which make such stick tackles more obvious, and, of course, ways to try to 'disguise' nefarious play on your own part :eek:
    Some players are better at both than others lol

8. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Are you sure it's an active thing justin? Can't you obtruct 'passively'...?!!! rofl :baffled: :angry:

(This is a joke between justin and me - please excuse my self-indulgence!)

9. zippytime

zippytime FHF Legend

Im sure I know what Craggsy is on about, and in my opinion you are not stick blocking as you are moving the ball away from the defender so as to keep control and then move in somewhere else. That is unless your a push and run merchant and your dragging it back to then push through the defender and try to claim obstruction which is a whole different kettle of fish.

Then again you could eb on about doing a V drag to either the left or right which would also not be stick blocking

10. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Aaaaaarrrgh :no:
    You are excused... by me anyway :)

11. Ridge

Ridge FHF Star Player

so is the latest video of Tackles -- Good and Bad correct or not. Is he right in everything he says. From what I know it looks correct but I have no credentials in umpiring yet to say so

12. keely

keely FHF Legend