Interesting Article: Urge all Coaches to read Stop and Think

Discussion in 'Training Tips & Coaching' started by Jerome, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Jerome

Jerome FHF Top Player

2. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

The best kids coaches I have met all agree that it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's about doing it properly and success will come as you get better at doing it properly.

I have often been approached by mums/dads whose offspring are going through the English single system and they are concerned that their 14 year old is not making progress. My response is generally that it doesn't matter how far they go when they are 14/15. Once they discover drink and fornication then we will learn how good they are going to be. You can be the best 14 year old keeper on Earth, but once reality hits and temptations form in your mind away from hockey, then we learn who really has it in them to become a world class player.

I didn't play hockey until I was 16, didn't really take it seriously until I was 22. I still did ok and loved all of it.

Bezinga and GK13 like this.
  3. Jerome

Jerome FHF Top Player

Thats an interesting perspective.

4. careeman

careeman FHF Legend

I've coached up to U12 for many years.
    I don't do any higher as I don't enjoy the competitiveness that it attracts or some of the attitudes and egos that are starting to form.

For me in the early years I try to give the enjoyment and basic grounding that when they reach the older ages and the temptations that @Krebsy so eloquently describes they are best placed to choose their own path.

My mantra for u12s has always been to make so enjoyable that they want to come back each week.
    Not that their parents (pushy or otherwise) want them too.

We still play games. We still score goals and we still compete but we celebrate success and get stronger and better together as a team.
    Win or lose.

5. Jerome

Jerome FHF Top Player

Well said there.

One of the things I constantly do when I talk to coaches out there no matter what the sport is, ask them this very simple question-

Do you think you are a?

a) Development Coach
    b) Competition Coach
    c) Combination of both.

6. Mick Mason

Mick Mason FHF Top Player

What do you believe defines "development coach" or "competition coach"?

7. Jerome

Jerome FHF Top Player

Well everyone has differing views on what defines each but my thoughts are that a-

Development Coach: is a coach that is working together with the players to help them to develop both their skills and their sports brain.

Competition Coach: is a coach who primary focus is on wins and losses and winning the competition.

You know Mick at the end of the day there is never a wrong or a write answer to this question, the question is not designed to trip coaches up its designed to help coaches think about what they see there role as. In reality I think just about all coaches would say they are a combination of both with various weighting of development over competition depending on what level the team they are coaching is at.

Krebsy likes this.