Indoor Indoor arm protection and sliding

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by LuluGoalie, Oct 15, 2014.

1. LuluGoalie

LuluGoalie FHF Top Player

I played my first indoor match two days ago, and have my second tonight, and my arms are getting so hot!! :confused: is full arm protection really necessary for indoor? If not, what should I use, if anything? And I'm also having trouble adjusting to the feel of sliding indoors, and I'm also having a lot of trouble getting up again quickly :oops: can anyone help me with this? I play Div 1 and Mixed Social, and run 1 in PC's.

2. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

try a pair of Ice hockey elbow guards

3. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

I don't think full arm protection is necessary for indoor, but then again, I don't think it's necessary for outdoor either.

For sliding & getting up, more practice is normally the solution, as well as figuring out what to focus on. How are your slides not working? Why are you struggling to get up? Is it because you end up on your back? Is it because you try and push off forwards as you're getting up, making your feet slip & you fall forwards? Something else?

4. LuluGoalie

@Inselaffen I was thinking ice hockey elbows might be a good idea :)
    @sanabas The sliding issues are mostly just getting used to the different feel of the slides (slower, not as far, etc.) but getting up, I think I'm just not getting enough grip, but the point you make about pushing off forwards could have something to do with it. What would you say is the best way off getting up quickly?

5. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

I've chipped bone off both elbows keeping indoor without elbow protection.

6. LuluGoalie

@Inselaffen yeah, that's why I wasn't too keen on going dutch :eek:

7. Grim_D

Grim_D FHF Regular Player

Hard wooden floors are the reason elite level goalies who wear little/no arm protection outdoors 'pad up' for indoor; like Nick Brothers (when he was playing) and David Kettle switching to Reebok elbow pads for indoor competitions at EG. If it works for them, assume there's a reason behind it!

8. LuluGoalie

@Grim_D yeah, the hard floors were the reason I didn't want to go dutch :oops: I can imagine some pretty nasty bruises if I went without and had to drop :eek:

9. Descartes

Descartes FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Monarch GCP01
    Personally, I never wear any arm protection except a neoprene elbow support - and I usually only wear that if I'm playing on an absolute beach. Indoors I don't wear anything as I don't feel I need it, but for sliding look at getting some pad covers, either form @Verbunt Hockey or make your own from a set of old pillowcases, I think @AndyGaut had a tutorial a while ago?

10. LuluGoalie

@Descartes I've got a set of sliding covers, I think I just need to get used to the different feel o_O

11. Dejauv-Again

Dejauv-Again FHF Newbie

what are you the sliding covers made from? you can also add baby powder to help with the slide.

12. Descartes

Descartes FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Monarch GCP01
    @Dejauv-Again a lot of leagues ban talc/baby powder as it can present a danger to players. Covers can be made from pillowcases or sheets, and i think i saw someone on here had made some from a spandex/lycra material.

13. Doug Turer

Doug Turer FHF Newbie

I've alway worn at least a right arm pad for indoor, played for 8 years now. First off, there's them hard wooden floors, they're sticky too. You'll learn as you play that sliding is best done using your hip and elbow as points of contact. I don't rate using covers because you shouldn't slide on your leg pads anyway, they're what you're using to save.
    Wear arm/elbow pads (Obo make some pretty lightweight ones now) and overshorts for your upper leg pads and you'll be fine.