I'm new to FHF

Discussion in 'Introduction to our hockey forum' started by Michelle McManus, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Michelle McManus

Michelle McManus FHF Newbie

Hello Everyone

I’m a longstanding player and recently elected Chair of North Stafford HC, England, interested in all levels and formats of the game. I’m keen to make connections to improve my own knowledge and to help my club to be the best it can be. For me, the true value of interaction can only be realised from sharing different perspectives, so I’m very much looking forward to many interesting and diverse conversations with forum members in the UK and around the world.

Mac, Stuart Burnside and steve like this.
  2. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    Hi Michelle,

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on being elected as Chair.

Steve

3. Stuart Burnside

Stuart Burnside FHF All Time Great

Welcome. Some of the forum is very useful. Some of what you do as Chair will be appreciated. The rest is what you make of it!

4. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

The rest feels like people standing on you to reach the top shelf?

5. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity; Adidas HS1 XXtreme; Adidas TT10
    Morning Michelle! Good to have you on here too! :)

Michelle McManus likes this.
  6. The chief

The chief FHF Legend

Morning Michelle. Sorry to hear that your music career didn't go so well, however your hockey career seems to have made up for that.

7. Michelle McManus

Thanks for the welcome Stuart. I wonder if I can take advantage with a request if I may...
    I am told that Wapping run an entirely cashless system in terms of membership/ match fees etc. I just wondered how you deal with petrol expenses for your drivers if Captains don't have cash on-the-day? We are looking to introduce something for the start of the new season but haven't quite come up with a solution for this yet.

8. Stuart Burnside

Stuart Burnside FHF All Time Great

That's sort of true at club level but there is still cash admin at team level.

We collect subs for the season via bank transfer into a dedicate collection account. We then set a number that we expect each captain (or treasurer if the team has one) to transfer to the club for each game played. That is mainly to cover pitch & teas.

Match fees are then collected by most captains on the day in cash, who then pay umpires if necessary, buy mom & dod beers & so on. Some captains (a rarity) collect from their team mates via bank transfer but that is less efficient & leads to them complaining about people not paying them when the club collects from them in turn. Whereas when I captained, if someone hadn't brought money I would insist they go to the cashpoint then and there.

NB We set a figure centrally that we expect the match fee to be. For this reason the captains do their transport costs separately, though the club will offer a subsidy for longer distances.

9. Stikklebrik

Stikklebrik FHF Regular Player

Morning and welcome you you too Michelle.
    I'm in a similar boat to you as this is my first year as chair too but the guys on here are a vast source of information and support :)

Michelle McManus likes this.
  10. Michelle McManus

Thanks - that's great to hear. I hope that what I lack in experience as Chair I can make up for in other areas.

11. Michelle McManus

Thanks Stuart, that's really helpful. I was leaning towards some sort of hybrid system. I don't particularly want to get into the complexities of having claim forms and/ or payments made from the club account out to members.

I like the idea that Captains are given a set amount to contribute per game - so there's a greater awareness and ownership of club finances.

I'm sure I'll be posting on here as we find our way through the season...