Indoor How would you construct you ideal Indoor Pads?

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by AndyGaut, Jan 14, 2013.

1. AndyGaut

AndyGaut FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    TK GK 1.1, OBO Fatboy, Malik Black Magic
    Was just having a chat about the merits of indoor pad covers in the indoor game, then got onto the subject of the old indoor leg guards that OBO used to do.

With indoor hockey now starting to become more and more popular in the UK and other places around the globe I have a few random thoughts if you’ll indulge me for 2 minutes.
    • Lightweight foam construction, allowing for faster movement.
    • A different kind of skin to minimise friction and negate the need for pad covers entirely
    • Straps being material so they would meet regulations from FIH, Verbunt do some really good ones.
    • Possibly Velcro kicker straps on the back as well as on the leg guards.
    • Colours would have to be the tattoo bright green, pink and the older yellow style like before.
    What does everyone else think that indoor specific pads should have?
    Should they be as wide as the HiRebound or the width of the HiControl?

indoor pads.jpg

sammyhan likes this.
  2. searle

searle FHF Top Player

Whack some teflon non-stick material on the wings and I'd be happy

As people can't hit the ball I guess protection could be reduced (to a point) to allow for lighter pads as you mentioned.

Kicker straps on the bottom that promote grip would be good as well, I've found sometimes my OBO straps are a bit slippery

3. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

Maybe some texturing on the kickers that will limit the ball rising.

4. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Personally I think kickers should stay the same foam because the balls I face hurt sometimes even with Hi-control kickers. If we were to re design the kicker I think a more box shaped kicker would be good.

As for legguards the ideal construction for me would be Hi-rebound shape but not two different foams so the face should be made in one single material, the inner part of the legguard would be thinner the foam should be lighter I think the aim should be to reach as close to 50% of the current weight as possible.

As said in the other thread I think it could be interesting with fabric glued on to the pads straight from the start (if it really does make a difference because I don't suffer from the way they are right now) or just a pair of nice looking and tight fitting pad covers designed for the indoor pads.

I do not think we need different straps I have never been stopped from using my normal straps indoor and have only once been asked to tape the buckles (2008 in Sheffield) but there we had to tape the screw heads on our mask as well before the first game (that the tape came of didn't seem to bother any officials though). I do think some indoor halls might ask the keepers to wear different straps because they think it might scratch the floor.

At first I was a bit sceptical about the whole idea but now I start to like the thought of it more and more.

5. VeteranKeeper

VeteranKeeper FHF Top Player

I agree with Nic on the kickers being more of a box shape as this would help stop the ball from lifting when you stab at the ball with your toe (although I'm sure this could be fixed with a change in technique). Something similar to the old TK ones would do the trick.

Although I use OBO HR/HC combo for outdoor, for indoor I use Gryphon as they are lighter and the kicker is a bit squarer across the toe. I might try gluing some fabric strips down the wings to see if this makes a difference.

6. AndyGaut

Stick/s:
    Where on the pads do you think the most friction is created (see pic below)
    I think it's 1 on the wing as you slide with your hip.

[​IMG]

7. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

I like the idea of a complete fabric skin over the face of the whole pad. I need the whole thing covered though I think, not just the wing because sometimes I stick when dropping one knee to block a player at the top. I don't really slide in indoor - too easy to be dragged around, so I stay up longer and (try to) do a stacked block if i have to (still working on this, it's harder than it looks o_O). I'd just like not sticking if I do a big lunge or drop a knee! Big problem on the multi-sport surfaces we have here.

Like Nic, I like the HR shape, but have considered buying yahoo pads simply because HR foam is a huge overkill protection-wise for indoor and the lighter pads would help a lot moving around....

HR shape with lighter foam would be my ideal. This could be difficult though, as part of the HR advantage is not just the shape, it's the stiffness of the wing too. That stiff wing has save many corner flicks running 1 for me, and I don't want to give it up!!

I don't seem to have an issue with kicker shape. I wouldn't go below cloud level protection on my feet though.

If ever made rep level indoor, I would definitely spend the cash for indoor kit - if it was available!!

8. AndyGaut

Stick/s:
    I think the whole thing would be covered with a skin, but certain areas given extra to aid performance.
    I understand the width of the pad issue, I would suggest the left pad being as wide as the right. Which isn't a massive difference to the HR. Also yes not to go below cloud level kicker protection

9. broadstone

broadstone FHF All Time Great

having watched Fillip Neusser play in the super sixes without pad covers i was wondering if its more about the technique of how to come out that needs to change with indoor because he seemed to manage fine- though i dont know if he had something less obvious on his pads to help him slide

10. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I have met him a few times and I doubt he puts anything on his pads I think for the keepers that have grown up with more indoor hockey than outdoor it is not a problem. With that said if there were a pad that slides better I wouldn't mind using it.