How to umpire with an inexperienced umpire

Discussion in 'Game Management & Communication' started by Diligent, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

From the 'opinions on calling the umpire?' topic:
    Experienced umpires generally get appointed with partners of similar experience and standard. But every so often a colleague has very little experience, or seems to be not waving but drowning at a new and higher level of hockey.

Beginning umpires in lower club games see their partners missing the same amount and making similar mistakes. But every so often a colleague turns out to be really experienced and maybe this game will go much better - with chances to pick up tips and tricks from a master.

So how should you umpire differently with an inexperienced partner?
    What do beginners, or umpires advancing beyond their comfort zone, really want and need?

And yes, let's hear what senior partners have done, often with best intentions, that really bashed our confidence, made us umpire worse not better, so the only thing we learnt was to never again umpire with them again.

2. controller

controller FHF Legend

I umpire quite a lot with new umpires to give them the confidence and help them along with umpiring.

I always start with a good chat with them before the game and take them for a walk around the pitch if there is enough time and talk about them and on how they would like to umpire. I would also talk through certain situation and make sure that we are trying to work as a team covering:-

• Which side of the pitch
    • whose timing first half
    • ball height
    • advantage
    • Dangerous Ball
    • Enjoyment
    • Stopping the game and asking for assistance
    • looking towards me for assistance
    • Smile and be confident

After that, I will sit down with them afterwards and we will talk about the game and try and help each other.

3. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

whenever I umpire i always approach it as if Im the inexperienced one...

that way I never look at it like Im better than them...I try to watch what they are doing and adjust..Cos I know for sure that very few umpires actually want to adjust so you are calling similar things.

most things are covered in a pre game briefing....and to be honest...I had never had a pre game briefing until I umpired in NY....and I was like..HUH? what are you talking to me for...?

but now I do one every game...and it is absolutly brilliant...wished I had done it for years.

4. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Like many here I have the opportunity to work with a varied level of experienced umpires, from newbies through to National Umpires, what I have always worked on when umpiring with less experinced umpires is to ensure they are relaxed and are ready when we go onto the pitch, our pregame chat covers the usuals bases, support mode, lead/trail roles, where to look for me if they require support, I generally pick out a sign on the side of the pitch as a landmark.

I will have a brief chat about Positioning, Presentation and Player management, timing etc. I keep it brief so as to not overload my co-ump and take the opportunity to find out a little about them as a person and what expereince they have had. Most importantly I will allow them to make the calls in their area, not wanting to overblow their calls. They need to make mistakes and good calls so they will learn.

Many here would also take the dugout side or bench side, I will always ask my co-ump what they would prefer, I find this gives them a confidence boost as they see it as them making the first choice of the game

The last words I will say to them after the toss and we are ready to move into position is " Have Fun and enjoy it"

5. sase-31-19

sase-31-19 FHF Regular Player

Quite simply, try not to make them feel over-shadowed and afraid to call. Tell them if they are unsure they can simply look to you, and you will signal. this was always a great help for me when learning, and I find it works well when i'm working with new Umpires. Make sure they know you're happy to help, and offer to answer any questions they have.
    If something highly obvious and deliberate happens in their circle, however, make sure you let them know. they need to learn to see those things.

6. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

VG points, there is nothing worse than breaking the back of a person starting out on the path to becoming and experienced umpire.

7. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

sase i agree with you that often inexperienced umpires will be afraid to blow because they are being overblown by their more experienced colleague, it has even happened to me a few times when i am with less experienced colleagues that they will blow over me which makes me hesitate slightly before blowing.

The problem comes when you have an umpire with you that is not blowing very much at all, which leads to the players becoming cranky and you being forced to blow things that are in their area simply so that people dont come to punches. And then of course some umpires will feel that every free hit missed by their colleague must be blown and they end up overblowing.

On a side note we brought in headphones for a grade umpries to use this year and we sometimes use them with less experienced umpires. they are a wonder to use because if you see something in your colleagues area you can quickly mention it to them so that you are sure they saw it, makes the calls where you arent sure if they saw it or not a lot easier as you dont have to stand there hoping they look at you