How often do you get hit in the head?

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by Scooby, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Scooby

Scooby FHF Starter

Now this may seem strange question to ask, but i do seem to get hit in the head hard quite reguarly and there doesnt seem to be much i can do to change it!!

I think i probably get a hard hit to the head at least once a week and have already had to change my grill on my helmet after half a season.

I think it must be partly due to us having a new pitch which has a bit of a bounce to it, meaning in training, players like to flick the ball up and hit the ball on its bounce, meaning it flies like a rocket. We also do a drill where the ball is aerialed from one half of the pitch to the d where the player takes the ball down and hits 1st time, meaning again the ball can really fly.

Is there anything that i can actually do about this? The fact its uni students playing, they only like to hit the ball as hard as they can, so there is no way that i can stop them doing it. Plus with quite a bouncy pitch when dry the ball is easier to hit on the volley/half-volley :(

2. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

Tell the coach that those shots are only a danger to you and not an asset to train your skills...maybe he'll have more influence on his players than you have appearantly ;)

and about the getting hit, I personnaly get hit in the helmet like 4-5 times a season, in general only 1 of them is hard, which is not bad given that I play hockey at least 4 times a week :) I need to get a new helmet for next season, but that's just because it's old (and the paint came of after copping a hard shot at pc-training). How do you get hit? usually when you are standing up? or more when you are lying down/diving/sliding,...? maybe you have to put your hands a bit higher in your basic ready position, so you can put a glove to it faster ...

3. geevo

geevo FHF Regular Player

Don't know what advice I can give you??
    Maybe keep your hands higher/improve your reactions by either using tennis balls in a shooting drill or buying a reaction "ball"........think barrington or moarrant sell them?! :nerd:

I've only been hit hard on the head about 3-4 times.....I've been playing 15 years now (started at 8!)
    I do get the odd glance/rebound.....eg. off glove and onto helmet, but even that is only maybe 3 times a season. :p :)

4. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

if i get a avrage i get hit in the head 50% of the trainings but this is while playing indoor outdoor its about 3-5 times per season

5. Scooby

Scooby FHF Starter

Sadly we dont really have a coach, we kind of just coach ourselves most of the time :eek:

Am normally am gettin hit standing, dont think ive ever been hit whilst on the floor. Last time i got hit was a reverse shot from about 8 yards away which smashed into bottom right of helmet, so guess partly fact am not getting glove across fast enough? Maybe my reactions are still a little bit slow since returning from christmas :baffled:

6. garli

garli FHF Staff

I can't remember the last time it happened.

7. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

as a coach all i can advise is whilst the muppet forwards are doing their kill the keeper routine, walk out of the goal and refuse to enter it until they do an exercise that will be of your benefit as well as their own. There is no sense in them attempting to kill their own keeper in practice or any other time. >: :growl:

8. snap

snap FHF Starter

I did exactly that at a club i used to play for. The practice seemed to consist of everyone hitting the ball as hard as they could directly at me.
    There are 2 ways to deal with it. move out of the way and wait for them to calm down, or toe punt the ball back at them gettin g a good bit of lift on the ball.

9. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

10. Yazzy

Yazzy FHF Starter

Because you haven't been hit in so long? Or because it hit you so hard :eek:

11. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

lol nice one Yazzy :)

Well, do as people say, get out of the goal when your own forwards are hitting 8yard backhand shots at you...

12. Stuchers

Stuchers FHF Regular Player

first training with my schools 1st team last monday and the captain undercut a ball straight into my head, was shocked but saved it :D

only other time i can remember is when it got flicked straight into the middle of my forehead from about 3 yards, didnt hurt much tho

had one straight at my head today but ducked underneath it >: it went in :( but was flicked from about 5 yards from an ex england international :O

13. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

So an ex international still cant miss a keeper from 5 yards away? Come on, take the hint, these bastards are trying to hurt you! As "Comrade Hero Father of the Whole Team" if one of my children says "Sorry, it was an akident" (happening right now in the background) retribution is swift and terrible. Hit another in the head with a toy expect one to bounce off yours as well! Even the slow witted learn after a while (that description fits most forwards).

Every one of the previous comments are correct. Get your hands up, stand asside, complain to your coach, and mine, Hurt an expendable one of them real bad! Your own team have got to have some respect for you as a keeper and as a person. Respect means that they are interested in YOU getting some worthwhile training. Respect for you as a person means that they know you have school/work tomorrow and you actually want to be whole to go there. Every now and again forwards nead to be reminded that not only are they too vulnerable to a bit of keeper administered pain but that you can get upset and do them damage.

Go forth and hurt a few forwards
    Earn some respect

ANIMAL

14. Stuchers

Stuchers FHF Regular Player

You got a point. it was a good drill and ive never done it before, most of the other shots were easy so i was a little shocked when one came flying at my head, explaining the duck! he reckons ill b able to save them easy by the end of training in march but im not so sure :baffled:

15. koytoy

koytoy FHF Regular Player

Too often

16. Wassie

Wassie FHF Legend

Animal beat me to it....my suggestion was going to be get out and take them on early....close enough to smother the shot with your pads and then you can take a few down as they try to drag around you. Tactics I have used...and this first one was back in the no helmet days....pick the ball out of the back of the net and throw it at them, if you do make a save kick the ball down the far end of the practice area so they have to chase it!, like I said earlier tackle them around the ankles, hurl abuse their way....they will get the idea eventually!

17. pilgrimdb

pilgrimdb FHF Newbie

I've been back in goals for two seasons now after a 7 year lay off. After my first season back I hadn't been hit at all. However, I have started playing with some State League players and I've been hit in the face about five times. I think it's a good thing as I know I keep my eye on the ball and I know I can trust my wonderfull Mazon helmet.

18. cynick

cynick FHF Regular Player

I've been hit only once really HARD by the ball( at practice, why do all these things happen at pratice :baffled:) . Also been hit/kicked couple of times by people, as I slide them and they try to take evasive action.

19. Philippe

Philippe FHF Starter

I have no big problems with getting hit by a ball on my helmet. Buy a good helmet and you won't have a problem with saving balls with your head.
    Sometimes it might be hard of hearing anything after you got hit - but who cares. :)

But in any case I usually kick the ball very hard back and try to hit the players. :p

20. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

pilgrim
    welcome to the forum
    hmm someone who likes mazon