Home-made Smock

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by Cascadia, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

So guess what I did this evening?

Since the women's teams in my club are finally switching back to the actual club colours (maroon/burgundy and white or black (they will be playing in maroon and black) - were playing in yellow and blue until now), I kind of wanted a smock that would reflect that. I took a look at the stuff in the only good fabric/sewing store downtown today, and they had the right colours in clearance!! I was so excited, I went home and 4 1/2 hours later, I had this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Looks kind of funny as I'm wearing body armor, but no other padding, so I'm a little disproportionate! :baffled: )

I basically took my favourite smock (as far as fit goes), did a shite-load of measurements, and as luck would have it, I only screwed up once (and luckily it was the kind of screw-up that can be fixed by a seam-ripper!). Neck is a little wider than I intended, but I kind of did that in a rush, sooo...

Not bad for no pattern, and not having sewn anything more than a pillow case since ninth grade! (and so far it's cost me less than $10 to make!)

At some point I am going to do up a stencil of my club logo and put that on the front with some black fabric paint. At the moment I am too lazy, and lack said paint.

2. Will

Will FHF Regular Player

well done! it looks fantastic. not a bad effort at all. perhaps you can and magpie can team up, go for a bit of globalisation.

3. Ally

Ally FHF Regular Player

Looks really good.

4. sHORNY

sHORNY FHF Starter

think i might just have a crack at that now :D.

no have no idea what colours to use :/ did u invert the colours of your team or is that the actually design they have ?

5. gnarlygk

gnarlygk FHF Regular Player

hey looks awesome!! U sure its that easy? Must be more too it, like how would u do the profesh looking seam around the neck...guess u have a new cottage business there lol

6. TKrobot

TKrobot FHF Legend

looks well good, good job!

7. g9

g9 FHF Legend

arm holes must be the worst part for getting right...and the matching there is spot on! Really good job!

8. killerkeeper

killerkeeper FHF Regular Player

awesome !!!!!

9. garli

garli FHF Staff

Dude, that's pretty damn impressive.

10. hot shot viks

hot shot viks FHF Legend

great stuff cascadia!!

are you taking orders?? lol lol lol

the smock looks really professional!! great work!!!

viks

11. fh4me2000

fh4me2000 FHF Regular Player

That's pretty awesome...You should try different materials, since you now a pro at it.....Make one with spandex or even better jeans :)

12. garli

garli FHF Staff

Or something in black. rofl

13. ExoticShep

ExoticShep FHF Legend

black spandex smock - for the kinky keeper

14. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

Haha, I was actually planning on making an alternate that was black instead of white, but then I thought "Do I *really* need that many smocks?"

Thanks so much for the compliments, guys!! I haven't seen our new uniforms yet, but if they're the same as the juniors (and I think they will be pretty much), it's just a plain maroon top, and maroon socks, with a plain black skirt. White is more traditionally a club colour than black, but I guess they wanted to differentiate themselves from the juniors (who do all maroon, or maroon skirt with white top), and the league wouldn't let us use white tops as about a million teams already have them (although luckily in my division, it's only 2 I think, so I should be OK most of the time!)

Hardest part was getting everything to line up, because I generally cut all of the maroon pieces a bit too small, so getting the seams to align, especially between the sides and the sleeves, was a nightmare. I will certainly NOT be doing this again any time soon! Sewing is too tedious for me, which is why I don't do it often, and I don't think I'll be able to build up the motivation to do it all in one stretch again.

(and if anyone was wondering, the maroon part is like a cool-max/dri-fit/whatever wicking fabric, and the white is just a plain mesh, like the kind you use for pinnies (at least the ones around here, anyway)...I couldn't find both colours in just one fabric. :S)

15. fh4me2000

fh4me2000 FHF Regular Player

I'm sure garli will hit you up for a black spandex version, to compliment her black UA bodysuit. :)

16. garli

garli FHF Staff

That's only for when I'm playing superhero.

17. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

Thanks. :) I did put my club logo on it, but too lazy to take pictures. It didn't turn out quite as well as I thought it would, but still pretty good. :) (especially since it's pretty complicated, and I ended up cutting a stencil out of letter head with an exacto knife).

I am so doing the kinky black spandex smock next time! ;)

18. gk_viper

gk_viper FHF Regular Player

pretty impressive! looks sharp.

19. Cascadia

Cascadia FHF Legend

You'll likely be the only one here to ever see it in person - we'll see if it actually looks that good up close. :p

(on that note, what div are you going to be playing in this upcoming season, if you know? I want to know if I'll ever be playing you instead of just umpiring)

20. Snoody

Snoody FHF All Time Great

Cas,
    I've interrupted my holiday to say - Great job!
    Looks fantastic.
    Snoody