Hockey specific HiiT training

Discussion in 'Training Tips & Coaching' started by Lawpf2001, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Lawpf2001

Lawpf2001 FHF Starter

Hi all,
    After a 3 year absence from the game, I went for my first training session at a new club. I assumed my fitness levels would be adequate as I can quite happily go out and run 10k+.

But how wrong I was... I really struggled with short sprints and playing mini games etc. I was left very out of breath and off the pace of the others playing.

I assume (correct me if i'm wrong) HiiT training is what I should be focusing before the season fully starts. Could anyone point me to any particular workouts or exercises that would be beneficial for hockey?

2. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    This would be quite a list for all of them....
    shuttles (5-10m), box jumps, hopping lunges, burpees, high knees, heel kicks, jumping squats, plank (even though i hate it), star jumps, mountain climbers, squat thrusts. 30 seconds exercise, 20 seconds rest try and do 3 cycles. also maybe change the order, do that couple of times a week then with hockey training you should get match fit fairly quickly.

If that isn't hard enough, do sudo supersets so pick 3 exercises to do back to back for 30 seconds then do a set of 10 shuttles at the end rest for 30seconds to a minute repeat 3 times then do 3 different exercises with a set of shuttles at the end for 3 cycles. then the final 3 exercises with a set of sprints at the end for 3 cycles. Then do 3 sets of plank for 45 seconds to a minute with 30 seconds rest inbetween.

steve and Lawpf2001 like this.
  3. Lawpf2001

Lawpf2001 FHF Starter

Awesome, that'll be a good start

4. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

Sprintervals are good espcially if you have a park or something near you with lamposts every 10/15 m. Start off by jogging 10m (or 1 lampost), then sprint 20m (2 lamposts) then walk 10m (1 lampost) then repeat till you run out of path. You can do this without any markers and just count in your head, or just use some markers and set you own course up of 40m in the park or something.

Other than that the general strength exercises are always good. If you can run longer distances shorten it a bit and throw in some 10 second sprints every minute or so on a longer run.