Hockey Pro League

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by BossFHockey, Jun 11, 2017.

1. John Lee

John Lee FHF Newbie

or are they? England/GB I don't know how this works. Does England just pinch players from Scotland, and Wales when it likes? Will the player be from GB when the team wins but from Scotland when they lose?

2. John Lee

John Lee FHF Newbie

Dont forget both Australia and New Zealand are involved and it is a home and away competition. Cost $250K plus every time an aussie team get on a plane. Same coming the other way.

3. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

Seems like an awful lot of money for some flights, are they all flying business class? Do you have any evidence to back up those figures?

sammzib likes this.
  4. John Lee

John Lee FHF Newbie

On hand, no sorry Craggsy. I will endevour to get something official. And I must admit I should have qualified that remark by including the associated costs, accommodation, food, facility hire etc. I will say though that just a quick estimate will give you a rough idea. So you have at least 16 players. Prolly more like 20 or 22. Then there is the coach and say 3 assistants. Then a doctor, Manager, team liaseon, someone else and another for good measure. So you are looking at 30 - 35 people minimum. The figure I quote is only for a two week tournament. There and back.

From what I have been told I am being conservative. As far as problems go with the Pro League this is an easy one to solve, just throw money at it:)

5. RushMan

RushMan FHF All Time Great

80-120K for a trip to Europe from Aust or NZ... Flights, accomodation, meals

No business class flights ever!

My source is pretty accurate

steve and sammzib like this.
  6. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

....flights; you can add the cost of putting all the equipment in the hold too!

My local cricket team went off to Spain to play a friendly tournament - but they could only afford to go if the "home" team provided all the equipment including bats due to the cost of putting coffins* in Ryanair's hold, which they duly did!!

*Note for non-cricket watchers - don't panic...a "coffin" is a large bag for a cricketer's kit!

7. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

That's low cost airlines that charge for sporting goods. If you fly long haul your baggage allowance insides sports bags.

Obviously the costs are huge and I don't think the pro league helps in any way, unless the FIH have some big sponsors lined up.

BossFHockey likes this.
  8. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    This would be quite a list for all of them....
    what if the sponsor is Thompson/Virgin/Ryan-Air and they are paying for all flights and accommodation?

Ryan air have my favourite story of a friend of mine going over for a weekend tournament in Ireland, sent his stick to the hotel so he only needed hand luggage, he was 3 kg over the allowance so they wanted £20 extra or what ever the charge was. So he took his hockey shoes out and put them on, was still over. so he put on his glove, shinpads, pc mask, box, gumshield and one of his hoodies. Took him under the weight allowance, but he had to walk through all security with his full hockey protection on. he then put it all back into the bag in duty free (along with some alcohol I believe)

Lostaam and sammzib like this.
  9. John Lee

John Lee FHF Newbie

Are you quoting Pounds or $Au?

10. RushMan

RushMan FHF All Time Great

$AU

11. John Lee

John Lee FHF Newbie

Throw in a trip to Argentina as well. International travel will be a killer financially for any model the FIH choose to put forward. Just going to have to find a way to mitigate the cost.

Just as an aside, Qantas was the sponsor of the Hockeyroos at one stage and dumped them at the height of there gold medal run.

12. John Lee

John Lee FHF Newbie

Still working on something that looks official, figures wise. Funnily enough no one seems keen to be quoted on this. One source claimed $3700-4500 depending on the country+airfares+player payment. One said it cost 50k just in airfares for the entire squad and staff. Whatever it is though you were right in your previous post, Pro League won't help.

13. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

Do we have any more info on the fixtures for this yet? I can only assume that they will be in blocks for each part of the world, with groups of teams playing matches (Eg 3 or 4 games in Aus and NZ in one block). Though with this Aus and NZ would play 4 matches whilst the touring teams play 2, so not sure how fair that is.

14. John Lee

John Lee FHF Newbie

As far as I can tell the only things we know for sure are the teams that will be competeing and a statement in the Hindustan Times from the FIH CEO that the financial burden will fall on the individual nations, not the FIH. I have no idea how they will fixture this event and I don't think the FIH does either. They are probably scanning forums such as this hoping one of us genius's will come up with a solution. I have a feeling 'fair' may not come into it. It may be a circuit thing. Say GB travels and plays Au, then across to play NZ, quick jump over the pacific to play Argentina and for the women an extra trip up to play the US, and back to Europe. I can't really see Germany or any other nation being too happy playing a 'home' game in Australia, especially as the financial rewards of home games will be crucial to the success of the league. Craggsy do you think we need another nation based international competition? Does the Pro League mean the end of 11 a side Hockey at the Olympic games? I would love to see a bid document.

15. BlindGoalie613

BlindGoalie613 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    I've heard some talk of Olympic hockey becoming indoor, to cut down on the need to build one use venues for the Olympics.

16. SportBilly44

SportBilly44 FHF Top Player

Pro league fixtures likely to be in blocks as @Craggsy suggested. Working out the maths, this will mean there will be 3 or 4 Games around the world per week during the Feb - May period with (I believe) all games being broadcast (BT Sport in England). So, chance to watch International hockey every week on TV.... (something sponsors and TV broadcasters are a lot more interested in than one off tournaments once per year/two years and then nothing for months on end).

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

17. SportBilly44

And with regards the 'fairness' of this, would think most players would take 4 Games at home in a fortnight, over 2 played abroad living out of hotels, long flights etc.

18. John Lee

John Lee FHF Newbie

I agree a pool system makes most sense. But which countries will be willing to give up home games to allow this? If the FIH were paying for it there would be no problem. http://www.hindustantimes.com/other...-pro-league/story-MdvpcnP4ukYLS9C4hQytSO.html
    And if the FIH media releases relating to broadcast deals are correct they are organizing them as well. So the FIH wants the broadcast money and wants participating nations to carry the costs of the tournament. So the only way a nation can make any money out of this is by hosting games. And it is, according to the FIH, a 'Home and Away' league.
    And I admit, most of my concerns about the pro league would be overcome if Hockey had a huge bucket of money. http://thereversestick.net/EDITORIAL _008.htm

19. SportBilly44

Not sure what you mean by pool system? All nations will play home games in their own country. But the 'season' will be split in 'half'. First part of the season all teams will play in NZ, Oz, China etc. Second 'half' of the season all the European teams will host all the matches. So rather than going H / A / H / A etc teams will go A / A / A / A / H / H etc.