Hockey news from Poland

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Gocu, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Gocu

Gocu FHF Regular Player

I have decided to start new topic because in my opinion it's unfair that we have got topics only from three countries in the part of forum in which we can talk about hockey in Europe. I'd like to inform U about news from my country, Poland. Of course if U are interested in it;)

Generaly fieldhockey in my country is't very popular - there are 2 cities in which probably everyone about fieldhockey - it's Poznan and Siemianowice Slaskie. We have got two men senior leagues - 10 teams in first, 7 in second. In women competition there are 5 teams only...

The best club team in Poland is at the moment Pocztowiec Poznan who was first in league and won Polish Cup... In those two competitions they won with they big rivals - Grunwald Poznan.
    This year situation is the same - Pocztowiec and Grunwald fight for gold medal in outdorr league, in indoor Grunwald is 3 points better than Pocztowiec after half of indoor season.

If we talk about national team Poland is clasificated at 20th place in world ranking but in my opinion skills of polish team are higher than U could think after seeing our pos. in national ranking. Poland is one of the best indoor hockey teams in the world - we are second team of Europe, and second team of the world.

In the end of weekd men and women from Pocztowiec will compete in Austria in Burlington Cup...
    inf someone has got any questions go on - I belive that I can post news in this topic
    Regards
    Matthew

2. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

hi i would love to hear more about hockey in poland and especially indoor hockey i have tryed to find info about polish hockey before but all sites have been in polish
    i think your world rank is pritty unfair and i think poland is a upcoming nation
    i only hear about polish hockey from my friend who plays for orient lyngby in denmark plays against polish teams in the european indoor cup

3. Gocu

Gocu FHF Regular Player

hi:)
    yes it's possible - polish teams played with Orient...
    www.pocztowiec.poznan.pl they have got english version of their site...

If U have got any questions I will answer of course;)

4. NicfromSweden

FHF Moderator

how many teams plays indoor in poland? and is there any good indoor tournaments held in poland that my club could come to or is there intresst in polish hockey to come to scandinavia? i guess this is up to each club but in general
    our club was contacted by some u21 polish guy last year who wanted to come to sweden to play but he expected money for playing wich we couldnt give him

5. Gocu

Gocu FHF Regular Player

I see...
    we have got six teams in senior indoor league - it's small number but it's caused by... money - teams which are geografical far to Poznan resigned from league in this year because costs are to big - they decided to make their own Silesia Championship with next six teams - if we look on the level of those leagues this Silesia league it's something like second:) so generally we can say that there are 12 teams in league:)

Any tournaments? I havent got info but in Poznan tournaments are every week, my team from Warsaw will make the tournament for the and of the indoor season and it will be on first weekend of march...

6. NicfromSweden

FHF Moderator

okay cool is hockey drawing spectators to the games in poland and is it easy to find sponsors in poland so you could pay players or atleast not force players to pay while on tournaments (like the european championships)

7. Gocu

Gocu FHF Regular Player

it is hard to say, there are regions where fieldhockey is quite popular - the best situation in this "topic" is in my opinion in Siemianowice Slaskie where city goverment gives a lot of money for two teams from this city - they don't have to pay for anything but they also don't get money..
    I know that player from Pocztowiec Poznan and Grunwald Poznan get money for playing in national team, I don't know anything about money for playing , maybe for realising their aims like title of the best team in season:)...

teams in second league in most of cases have to pay for everything:(

It is hard to say about spectators - in Poznan everyone knows about field hockey but we can't say about fan clubs:) In Siemianowice there are more people intersted in hockey - fo example where they have organised U-18 Women Euro Championships there were about 1500-2000 spectators on matches of polish teams - it's not bad in my opinion...

generally I have to say that hockey isn't very popular - people are interested only where our national team plays on Olympic Games (last time in Sydney if i remember)
    the biggest problem is advertisment of our discipline - media don't want to show fieldhockey matches - I don't know why:( we have to make got result on championship to make hockey more popular
    regards:)

8. NicfromSweden

FHF Moderator

hi first of all im very thinkfull for you taking the time to answer my questions
    sounds weird that in poznan where the quality of polishj hockey is there is less intresst in hockey than in Siemianowice Slaskie. its good to know that there is atleast some money involved in polish hockey because its good for the sport in general if more and more pople can become professional hockey players
    i hope hockey will grow in poland ant that it will make hockey grow in your surrounding contries
    so is there allot of intresst in indoor or just in outdoor?

9. Gocu

Gocu FHF Regular Player

Indoor is also popular - most of people are of course interested in derby matches between Pocztowiec and Grunwald and teams from Silesia (SiemianowicE Slaskie and terrains not far from)
    no problem - I would like to make hockey in Poland more popular for people abroad - when I have heart that trainer of one of english division north teams didn't know that people play fieldhockey for the moment when one polish player came to his club I was shocked...;]

I also don't know to much about swedish hockey:(

oh I'd like to add something maybe funny , maybe tragical about fieldhockey in my city - capital of Poland Warsaw - after 50 years of brake we started to play hockey in Warsaw five years ago but noone here knows fieldhockey... I'm back from training at the moment and probrablytoday it was our last training in this object because the chief of it told... that we have wrecked floor;/ sad;(

10. NicfromSweden

FHF Moderator

well the reson for you not knowing much about swedish hockey is because we got major problems right now because many teams dont got junior teams and there isnt much intresst in the sport especially not outdoor
    but there was a time when swedish teams played againt teams from poznan in the european championships and sweden have played with the national team in poznan a few years ago

11. Alexei

Alexei FHF Regular Player

HI Gocu,

Nice to hear some stories from Poland.

I was actually surprised to know you're playing hockey in Warsaw. As far as I know, the capital of Polish Hockey is Poznan.

I guess, your Government is starting to recognize the importance of Hockey now. keep it up!

8)

12. Gocu

Gocu FHF Regular Player

Hi Alexei - nothing has changed - poznan is still a capital of polish hockey...;]

13. Gocu

Gocu FHF Regular Player

Ok, time to refresh...

Pocztowiec Poznan (man team) won in Burlington Cup in Vienna. In the final match they have won after penalties with team from Munchen
    In the group stage they won with Slavia, Austria and Haburg...
    regards

14. NicfromSweden

FHF Moderator

yeah i heard it from a friend i hope i will get to play with out national team in that tournament some time

15. Gocu

Gocu FHF Regular Player

ok time for new news in the pictures...

Polish U-21 team was clasificated 6th in European Indoor Championship in Zagreb. They will play with best teams in next competition...
    [​IMG]

Pollish senior team played in indoor tournament which was a part of prerparation for Indoor Wolrld Championship in Vienna, they won with Ukraine, Pomorzanin Torun (club team) and team with all players from Poznan...
    [​IMG]

They were also on the opening ceremony of international tournament for players born in 1993 and younger in Lubianka. [​IMG] .

Pomorzanin Torun won those tournament...
    [​IMG]

THere were also many spectators...
    [​IMG]

Polish U-21 women team prepares for European Indoor Championship in Vienna. They played with second league men team - Mustangi Michalkowice [​IMG]

I think that I have written everything...
    regards:)

16. NicfromSweden

FHF Moderator

do you know why poland ended 6th place? i thought they would end top 3 isnt the junior hockey as good as the senior in poland?

17. Gocu

Gocu FHF Regular Player

no it isn't:(
    but in a few years those guys who have got sixth place in Croatia will fight for medals in senior competition...
    they train hockey like professionalist and they will change the distance between the best teams and Poland, I'm sure...

generally there are no money for enought camps to prepare for junior competitions, many people criticise also trainer Witczak who trains U-21 but I won't comment it because I don't know him well...

18. NicfromSweden

FHF Moderator

okay well i bet we got even less money than you do but we have decided to use allmost as much money on the u21 hockey like the senior hockey because otherwise you wont have as many skillfull players for the future

19. Gocu

Gocu FHF Regular Player

I understand it but people from PHA don't:(

20. Gocu

Gocu FHF Regular Player

ok:)
    time for next part of newss...

Grunwald Poznan won first round of polish indoor league but was defeat by Pocztowiec in last match 5-9. Final match will be player in next weekend. Start Gniezno and Pomorzanin Torun will fight for bronze medal....

Women U-21 team are new European Indoor Champions after win in the final match with Belarus - 3-1. It's a huge suprise because they went to Austria without two players who are important members of first six but they managed to become the best:)))

Mateusz Kmita scored two goals for Leek HC in english division north in match with Noothingam. Polish 19 years old player helped them to win with notthingam 4-2.