Hockey Factory Shop

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Johnny Heath, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Johnny Heath

Johnny Heath FHF Starter

Hi..has anyone else experienced poor service from them? Demanding my money back for order I placed on 15th August. Was due to be delivered yesterday but couldn't find address. Amended the address to parents for delivery today and it never arrived. And tracking says it's being sent back to Hockey Factory Shop. o_O

2. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Is that the shops fault or the courier - once the parcel leaves the store its in the hands of the courier, the store maybe trying to do all they can to get it delivered for you.

3. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity; Adidas HS1 XXtreme; Adidas TT10
    We don't talk about Hockey Factory Shop here.

Legal Notice.

4. F1-mania

F1-mania FHF Legend

That's since been rescinded I am fairly sure?

5. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    THIS was the most recent admin notice. To be honest, and given the precedent for issuing legal notices, if we can't say anything nice (and I'm yet to find people who can) it's probably best to say nothing at all...

BossFHockey likes this.
  6. Johnny Heath

Johnny Heath FHF Starter

7. Johnny Heath

Johnny Heath FHF Starter

Sorry..didn't see the legal notice. Please remove thread.

8. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

It says a lot in this day and age that you can send a letter proposing legal action for a thread because of criticism - saying false things is one thing, a factual report of events is another. With many review sites available, preventing bad news getting out is harder and harder fortunately.

Ravennghorde likes this.
  9. jonberg

jonberg FHF Top Player

That legal notice is from 2012 and I'm pretty sure things have changed since then. It's also funny that when I google Hockey Factory Shop, the Legal Notice post comes right after the company website. #marketingfail

Hockeygear and TheHockeyFamily like this.
  10. jamesev

jamesev FHF Top Player

If it was factual without opinion I can't see how they would have a leg to stand on

11. Gingerbread

The problem is that if you have money you can send a warning letter from your lawyers and a volunteer run site like this simply can't afford to run the risk of losing a defamation case (UK internet laws makes the site liable for comments) so agree to take the post down rather than trying to defend it. In many ways it's better to use review sites like Google or Reevoo

12. Willowsacorns

Willowsacorns FHF Legend

And in doing so perpetuate the problem of caving to completely spurious actions by those who send out ridiculous letters threatening things they cannot follow through on.

13. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Cost is always a prime driver in litigation. And bullies only pick on people smaller than themselves.

As an adjunct, the English law of defamation* requires a Defendant to prove they didn't defame, rather than, say the US system where the Claimant is (as I understand it generally) required to prove they were defamed. This is one of the reasons, e.g Deborah Lipstadt & Penguin were sued (thankfully unsuccessfully) by David Irving in the English Courts.

*Which I use as a catch all, knowing full well there are technical differences between libel, slander, malicious falsehood etc.

ArbyJames likes this.
  14. Gingerbread

Hence the beauty of Arkell vs Pressdram ;)

Goalie64 and Krebsy like this.
  15. Gingerbread

Yeah but Irving was always onto a hiding to nothing given he IS a Holocause denier as the judge ruled* and so claiming it was defamation to call him that was obviously going to fail

The judge in 2000 ruled Irving was "an active Holocaust denier; that he was anti-Semitic and racist and that he associated with right-wing extremists who promoted neo-Nazism"

Mac likes this.
  16. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Have you listened to Lipstadt's TED Talk on the court case? Incredibly powerful and one of my favourite TEDs. I highly recommend it, so have a LINK.
    [/offtopic]

EDIT: Sppeleng woz rong

#16 Mac, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  17. Gingerbread

As we're going OT, one of the great WW2 American generals (might have been Eisenhower) even predicted it, he ordered crews to come and photograph and film the camps so that deniers would always be on the back foot vs the genuine evidence from the time proving it. Move on 70 years and still the anti-Semites bang on about it - most of them ignore or unaware of the fact that it was also Slavs, disabled, gay people etc etc all ended up in the camps, not just some sort of Jewish conspiracy

Krebsy and Mac like this.
  18. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

Providing facts which you can prove have happened is not a problem. Provided you can prove they happened.
    Providing opinion on those happenings can have problems if the plaintiff is a litigious **** and thinks your opinion is unreasonable. However the British Courts have a history of understanding "fair comment" even if said comment is less than polite

Further to the reference to Arkell vs Pressdram earlier, I would like to draw your attention to Allason vs BBC Worldwide & Hat Trick Productions.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/but-you-can-still-be-funny-about-allason-1140054.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/49430.stm

(Both links should point to the same place as the text of the link)

19. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

You could almost say that those rather unfortunate conspiracy theorists inspired this:

20. Gingerbread

The Americans have the right idea on free speech, it's very hard for US people to sue for libel due to the protection of the first amendment unless the statement is false and stated knowingly.