Hero Hockey India League

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Sven, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Sven

Sven FHF Regular Player

Didn't see a thread on the current tournament that started a few days ago, anybody been following this? They stream all the matches on StarSports, but being in the states the videos aren't available for me and I have yet to find a proxy service that works (both Stealthy and Proxmate still have the videos coming up as "not working or not available in your region").

Anyway, looks like the new franchise, the Kalinga Lancers, got whooped in their first game today against Punjab. Wish I had more to discuss, but as I said above, I haven't been able to watch any of the matches :mad:

2. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Jamie Dwyer Hockey posted on Facebook that US fans can watch on One World Sports.

I've watched one match so far, rhinos lost by one goal to wizards. Was a good standard, would watch more but the time difference is unkind to me :)

One thing though, is this an FIH tournament? I haven't seen their badge anywhere so I thought it was separate. They seem to have permission to use the rule variations (like stick above shoulder etc) though?

3. ScottishDonald

ScottishDonald FHF Legend

The wave riders keeper, hamish mcgregor, has been outstanding I think!
    I've been watching all of it on starsports :)
    Jamie Dwyer's goal against the lancers, thats all I can say D:

4. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

ScottishDonald I just saw the highlight of that goal...

I don't know what to think! Can anyone find a link to the footage that wouldn't be naughty (one I've seen was someone filming their pay tv at home...)

I'd love to know from the international umpires what they think of it? A lot of people are complaining that it was dangerous. The swing was certainly...extreme...but under the rule variation allowing sticks above shoulder, can we expect this sort of shot to become part of the game?

The skill to actually execute this shot was amazing, don't get me wrong, but the defender seemed a little close for such a swing?

5. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

No direct url, but it's at 2:08 of the warriors-lancers highlights at http://www.starsports.com/hockey/index.html

Looks alright to me, he's allowed to play it there, and his hit was controlled & not dangerous to anyone. Can't penalise someone for executing a legal skill perfectly. Could only have called PC before he got to swing if worried about it leading to danger.

6. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Is this allowed under normal rules, or only under the stick above shoulder variation?

It looked like the defender shied away from the swing was the thing that made me doubt it.

Edit: no, the defender is not as close as I thought and didn't need to evade the swing. Slow motion replay from other angles in the proper highlights (unlike the crappy video I saw earlier) show this. Wow! What reflexes and accuracy!!

Question about the above shoulder rule still stands though, anyone?

7. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

It'd be fine under normal rules, provided the ball was below shoulder height when he made contact. Using 'slow-motion' aka clicking & unclicking pause, it looks slightly above to me, though it'd be a close call. Be a shame to disallow such a beautiful goal.

beautifulgoal.jpg

He's put that between the keeper's shoulder & the post. I would love to face him in a game or training. Would make me look silly, but it'd be great fun.

8. ScottishDonald

ScottishDonald FHF Legend

It was the reflexes to just calmly swing and smash it into such a tight spot between the goalie and the post! I wouldn't call it dangerous, defender wasn't close enough and I don't think the umpire could seriously judge if it was over or under shoulder height as it seems just a bit of a gray area :)

9. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

No it's not an FIH Tournament, but, yes, they do have permission to use the rule variations.

10. Sven

Sven FHF Regular Player

According to the league's Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_India_League) the FIH has sanctioned it, but I may have posted this in the wrong subforum if "FIH sanctioned tournament" and "FIH tournament" are not the same thing. If so, sorry about that!

Re: the One World Sports reply above, figures that the channel would be available on practically every US cable carrier except my own :( I will have to speak to some of the Indian cricketers that train at the field I train on, perhaps one of them will have a hookup for Star Sports somehow!

11. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

It's an FIH sanctioned tournament, but it's being run by Hockey India, not FIH. Just as the Euro Hockey League is an FIH sanctioned event that is run by EHF/EHL. Does that make sense?

I guess that this should really have been posted in the Asia sub-board. You'll need a mod/admin like Kilmory to move it...

12. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Moved, but I've left a redirect to make sure people can find it if they don't check in here.

13. azbedwell

azbedwell FHF Regular Player

Are the matches on tv in England or is it just streamed on the internet? I know last year there were on an obscure foreign tv channel on Sky. I had a quick look but couldn't find them this year.

14. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

Sven JDH implied you could watch on one world sport's website? Perhaps there is a live feed on there?

15. Sven

Sven FHF Regular Player

Looks like they have a "limited trial" period on their website with which I can watch. No idea how long that trial period is, but it was easy enough to register for, so this should work. Thanks! Looking forward to watching!

16. custom coaching

custom coaching FHF Newbie

I've managed to watch 80% live, and enjoyed the standard immensely; the Indian players have upped their contributions significantly this year. This format can only benefit the hockey in India. KL are going to struggle to stay in contact with the original 5 Teams tbh. GO RHINOS!

17. alex.miles

alex.miles FHF Star Player

Full match replays are available for free online through Star Sports. You might need to use a VPN though. They geoblock me in Canada, but using a German IP works fine.

I think as long as you are in a country not listed here you should be fine to watch without VPN.

18. ASP38

ASP38 FHF Starter

Why do big Hockey tournaments get geoblocked in key countries like the UK etc?
    It just doesn't make sense to me.

19. alex.miles

alex.miles FHF Star Player

Because the cable providers pay a lot of money to have the right to broadcast.

If the Hockey India League lets people in (for example) NZL watch it for free, then what incentive does Sky Sports have to pay for the right to broadcast it? If the only way NZLers can watch the HIL is through Sky Sports, now the company can offer consumers something, and then make money off of that asset.

20. Sven

Sven FHF Regular Player

Currently watching a match replay on Star Sports via a GB VPN. Is the video quality this poor for those of you not having to use a VPN, or is it just me? It's bad enough that simply tracking the ball is fairly difficult at times. Certainly is good to be able to watch it at all though, I suppose :)