Indoor Help With indoor.

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by Freddakeeper, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Freddakeeper

Freddakeeper FHF Newbie

Hi,

I have recently started training as my school was 3rd in the UK internationals and I'm next inline to play.

I'm experienced with outdoor hockey and hopefully should be getting to county this year :)

My question is this:
    How can I get my pads to slide on the indoor floor, every time I go for a slide there is too much friction with my pads and the ground.

Also what should I change a lot for indoor, i.e positioning and tactics, I've had a bit of training with my coach and learnt the basics(guarding the top of the box as if you were a player, and short corner practice)
    what else should I do?

Thanks,

Fred

2. Martindk

Martindk FHF Top Player

No GK´s to help here ?

3. LuluGoalie

LuluGoalie FHF Top Player

Hey Fred, welcome to indoor! I only started a couple of months ago, but the friend who got me to play has a VERY experienced coach for a pop :p (very helpful)

Watch the ball, and nothing but the ball. Make sure you know where the opposition are, then WATCH THE BALL! Also make sure you know where your posts are (either by glancing or a tap with your stick/LHP) and there should be a (figurative) straight line between your back post and the ball, and your back should be right in the middle of that line. Do you run 1 as keeper in PC's?

As for the friction on your pads, DO NOT put talc on your pads! Depending on where you live, it may be banned, and you will be asked to remove it. It also makes your D slippery as hell for the other keeper in the next half, the players, and you when you're running around like Batman. And anyone else who uses the floor (I'm still trying to find the person who uses it where I play:mad:) You can make (never tried it myself) a pair of pad covers out of pillowcases, or if you're pushed for time or can't sew then you can buy a pair online (again, where are you based?)

I find that I play a lot further out for indoor compared to outdoor, and try to prevent the shot being taken in the first place, rather than reacting. Don't worry about deflecting it over the backline (FHD) and take advantage of the sideboards (they are your best friends). There will often be breakaways (I hate them) and there will be multiple oppo players coming for you, and maybe a defender if you're lucky. Make yourself big, keep your pads together, and try and either clear the ball or slow them down until you have help.

Hope this helps :)

#3 LuluGoalie, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    Freddakeeper likes this.
  4. Freddakeeper

Freddakeeper FHF Newbie

This is very useful, and I run 1st 90% of the time, sometimes I will log or just stay in goal.

I will defiantly look into pad covers and avoid the powder;)
    I'm based in the south of England if this helps?

Thanks,
    Fred

5. LuluGoalie

LuluGoalie FHF Top Player

I'm pretty sure most places in England have banned it (anyone from England here to correct me?) and Verbunt Hockey do pad covers if you/anybody can't make them.

As for short corners, I'll generally slide if they haven't done anything, but that's when I'm about a metre away/right on top of them. Any earlier and they can easily flick it over you. If they look like they're going to move/flick/pass then stay upright.

6. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Appreciate the advice given. I didn't do too badly and I'm kinda converted. So enjoyable. Didn't do a bad job, it didn't help that we faced some excellent players (including some international-quality).

Decided I couldn't wear full arm guards, and naturally took one to the bare arm after about 5 minutes....to be expected! :)

7. Doug Turer

Doug Turer FHF Newbie

Arm guards help you slide, I wouldn't suggest pad covers, if you go to ground using your hip and a padded elbow as the points of contact you'll slide in a controlled way.