hand/wrist/arm injuries

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by fhgoalie9552, Jun 12, 2011.

1. fhgoalie9552

fhgoalie9552 FHF Starter

has anyone had any hand/wrist/arm injuries? i have broken my wrist twice and arm once, one time in the fall, that was my wrist, and then again 3 or 4 months later which was my wrist and my arm. Both times during a game. it was dumb and i hated it. my season is starting again soon and im nervous about playing again cause i havent played since march. i love playing and its my life but am nervous because i dont to brake it again. :no:

has anyone had any hand/wrist/arm injuries?

2. Grucha16

Grucha16 FHF Regular Player

Had one wrist injury quite painfull during a traning session dived incorectly full force onto wrist and couldnt move it at all i had to support it with the other one couldnt play correctly for a month so what i did everytime iv played or trained i tried not to use my right hand and i also bandaged it so it was stiff so it would not hurt during move but oh well... it always happens

3. homegrownhippo

homegrownhippo FHF Regular Player

try using a wrist support i know its not much but it could help to make you feel a bit safer while playing

4. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

More gym time concentrating on wrist/arm strength/flexibility

5. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

only had bone chips from playing indoor.

6. fhgoalie9552

fhgoalie9552 FHF Starter

Hey thanks a lot everyone,thanks for the support and ideas :)

7. Henry Quick

Henry Quick FHF Newbie

sorry to cut in on your topic but i too always seem to have a problem with injuries on my stick hand where i drop down onto it to make a save or stretch with i i wreck my wrist for weeks and tonight i went down after a dive tried to get back up but had lots of pain in my arm not quite sure what it is if there is any advice would be most welcome again sorry to cut in just thought was a similar question :) !!!

8. scahvenger

scahvenger FHF Starter

m8 i just realized something...we need to work on our arms and feett...go to the gym and do some exercise on the muscles you dont normally workout...resisitance training is a good one..to workout the muscles youl actually be using...trust me after youre doing them exercises youl fill strong enuff to trust your body ....this muscle wont increase muscle mass..it will just tone your body and actually strengthen the muscle which tend to usually give up during game situations...prevents injuries for the wrists,and shoulders..

9. johnnyboy507

johnnyboy507 FHF Top Player

Ive had wrist injuries in the past, now i use one of the "powerball" things just as a distraction while at work but it does build up alot of strengh in the wrist, imo anyway. And when i had trouble i used a boxers hand wrap which i wrapped round my hand/ wrist/ forearm which you can adjust the tension to suit, very cheap and adjustable tension if you are a little limp wristed (apologies, couldnt help myself) lol

10. freebird

freebird FHF All Time Great

When you get an injury you weaken the muscles and ligaments around the joint.
    Therefore, when you're able to (as Animal has said) you need to strengthen the muscles again.

The Powerball is ok for this, otherwise do wrist curls with any weights, and wrist rotations.
    This will strengthen the joint and muscles, and as such it is less likely to happen again.

11. AndyGaut

AndyGaut FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    TK GK 1.1, OBO Fatboy, Malik Black Magic
    @Henry Quick

Sounds like your landing on the hand your dive with with all your weight and momentum (that and have you adapted the way you land as your now using a TK glove), get Moncur or Bob to watch you in a diving practice at the next sessions you go to.

12. fhgoalie9552

fhgoalie9552 FHF Starter

I had similar issue never broke anything just became sore, it was on my stick hand too. but i would just give it a few days of rest and if it still hurts then possible go see a doctor. I know i had just fell on my that hand with most of my weight. Thats how i broke my left wrist twice, falling on it with all of my weight, dumb mistake

13. Jedi

Jedi FHF Starter

Tough one - I've had back surgery and surgery for a ruptured Achilles! Took too much time off - got fat(ter) and then back in shape and back in a lid! Blah Blah

I had a real think about these injuries and getting back on the field.

I belive there are 3 things here -

Firstly, you can have wrist injuries without bony injuries that can niggle on, affect your function and really need a review by an orthopaedic surgeon and probalbe plain X rays and a possible MRI scan

Secondly - if you have had your injury and have been treated appropriately when you get back out into the recovery phase with the best treatment and best will in the world that part will never be quite the same again - but I don't think it really matters. As goalies we are all about adapting, onn pitch with different surfaces, in training and matches with differnt oppo, tactics, drills, especially kit etc! In injury that has healed is also about adapting - this starts with understanding what has happened to you, understanding what you have had done to fix it - op or plaster and listening to your body to push though ache and stretch but not pain till you're back to good and you've gorgotten about the injury.....this brings me nicely onto

Thirdly - I belive with any injury you have a physical scar and a mental one! The later takes a lot of programming of yourself to get over - but as the old addage says time does heal all wounds and as the pros have shown us (mainly due to proper back up with physios etc) with a strong will you can get over most hurdles and back blocking, sliding, diving and cleaning out with precision and confidence!

Hope that ramble helped, all the best with your recovery!