Grade 3 Umpire Course

Discussion in 'Development, Skills & Advice' started by hockey-legs, Sep 18, 2008.

1. hockey-legs

hockey-legs FHF Regular Player

After wanting to do the Umpire course for a while, I finally got round to doing it this season and just had the first night this week!Quite enjoyed it, and am looking forward to actually becoming qualified.

Just panicking about the first game I will have to umpire, even though I have no idea when that will be!

Anybody have any tips for me, bearing in mind that I have never actually blown a whistle before in the game?

Thanks!€

2. controller

controller FHF Legend

Different people will advise you differently.

Confidence
    Communiactions
    Whistle usage
    Smile
    and look like you know what you are doing.

Your first game should be a low level grass roots game to be honest, I would ask your club to assist and get someone to come and watch you and advise you where you have gone wrong or where they think you ahve gone wrong.

Confidence will come with age - and I don't mean your age either - age of you umpiring and seeing more things, understanding advantage as you see it and not that of a player.
    Confidence is in usage of the whistle, a long blow for a serious foul and not so long for sticks. feet, etc.

Communication talk to other umpire get what you need and keep talking at half time and again after the game, communication with your co-offical is by signalling as well, if your colleague blows a call that you believe was not correct, thumb up accept the call. If you need to ask for colleague to assit you, thumbs up, show the players that you are working as a team

Smile, do what you can even though your briajn is telling you to concentrate, if the players can see you enjoying the game, they will leave you alone.

3. keely

keely FHF Legend

4. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

It's a shame you didn't umpire a few games before the course - many people find the theory makes more sense that way. But never mind... as the others have said: get your club to pick out a few easy games (not too fast); click on Keely's links; put on a confident act as you step onto the pitch. Once you start:
    - You will get most decisions right - that is what builds your confidence.
    - You will make a few mistakes - that is how you learn.
    - The more you umpire, the better you will be.

5. hockey-legs

hockey-legs FHF Regular Player

Thanks very much guys!
    I know it's not great that I havent got the chance to umpire anything yet, but the club will start me off gently - maybe umpire games at the end of a training session and then the more junior teams within the club!

Im really excited about it, just so so nervous aswell!!But as you all say, I guess the confidence will come with experience!