Good umpires

Discussion in 'Development, Skills & Advice' started by nerd_is_the_word, May 18, 2006.

?
  1. make good calls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. look neat and tidy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. strong signals/stance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. be friendly with players

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

As father-in-law of a London Metropolitan policeman I think we may need to re-think our attitudes to those who 'enforce the laws'.... to some extent they have no scope for flexibility, but for the most part they are there to ensure we are all safe and free to enjoy our lives (games) without interference from the eejits who wish to gain unfair benefit from 'cheating'.
    This can be done in an authoritarian way, or it can be done with a bit of 'humanity and humour'.

But first and foremost they must know the law and its interpretations, and how much scope they have for use of 'common sense'.

[for "policeman" substitute "umpire" :) ]

2. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

your right justin.

today I was discussing with another umpire in between my games that really the umpires are exactly like the players.

they come out...run around...have fun.

they didnt suddenly wake up one saturday and say "wow...wonder what field hockey umpiring is all about"

the umpires are caring members of the hockey community...they love the sport so much that they will come out in the cold and wet to officiate a game.

its high time the players see that too.