Good umpires

Discussion in 'Development, Skills & Advice' started by nerd_is_the_word, May 18, 2006.

?
  1. make good calls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. look neat and tidy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. strong signals/stance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. be friendly with players

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

Just figured id throw this question into the ring. in Queensland it seems to be a funny thing with most male umpires coaches telling you to worry about your calls and being in the right position. Where as women generally told me more to be neat and tidy and to have 'perfect' signals. thats not being sexist some males tended to prefer neat and tidy and some females worried more about the calls. And yet the best umpire i have seen is good because he tends to talk to the players and develops a good relationship with them on the field (the famous simon cross).

I know you need a bit of all of them but just for arguments sake which would you worry about the most? i think once an umpire has his calls generally going correctly (he doesnt make too many bad mistakes) you need to work on his relationship with the players and also strong signals and posture while he is umpiring. I see lots of umpires who look 'weak' in the calls and stance and they tend to get ridden by players.

2. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

nerd_is_the_word you already know my views, and there is a different culture between the Mens and Womens with regards to umpiring styles and it would not be my place to voice them here.

Suffice to say it is easier to get a badge at a womens event as opposed to a mens event due to different standards. I prefer the umpire to be close to play (much easier to be believed and get the decision right), yes Simon does interact well with players (must be the perm and roller skate shoes) and because of this he has control.

Simply the umpire has to be respected by the players, the only way to have the players respect is to be close to the play so your calls are right, also it does help to talk to the players instead of just blowing the whistle, it helps the players to relax and the umpire as well.

Most people who know me are aware that I do not give cards out that often, but would rather talk to the players instead, this does not imply I will not give cards I am more than happy to do so but they are not my first resort there are other ways to handle conflict.

I'll try and find out who is doing the mens 18s this year, I was thinking about going as an umpire this year just for the experience.

3. garli

garli FHF Staff

Good calls will always be the most important. Or at least just being consistent with your calls for both teams.

I do like when refs are friendly with the players. I'd hang out with most of our regualr refs, or at least chat with them a little bit before matches.

4. Alexei

Alexei FHF Regular Player

How about to consistently make good calls?
    If an umpire makes at least 80% good calls per match, I think he is already a good umpire. Why villify an umpire just for one bad miss?

I also believe rapport with players/coaches is important too. It helps relieves the some tension.

5. David Gillard

David Gillard FHF Regular Player

I do talk to players and try to be proactive before giveing penalties But have had to give cards to players for back talk because they then think they have a right of reply a bit above normal .
    I have not been given games because I talk to players and I have tried not talking to players and I am very uncomfortable doing that as I feel I am there to try and help not be a Hitler.
    I am now trying to get a compromise between the 2

6. Wassie

Wassie FHF Legend

would it make a difference if the umpire was hot and sexy?

7. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Wassie this is hockey is it not, hot and sexy umpires or hot and sweaty GK's is their a diff?

8. Wassie

Wassie FHF Legend

LOL....depends if the GK is you or garli!!!!!!

Sorry about going off topic......Tho the poll should have a ranking. I dont care how good an umpire you are, if you are wearing torn jeans and a tank you shouldnt be on the field. So dress is important. All those factors on the list are important...it is just how you rank the importance, IMHO.

9. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

well i dont know if a poll can do that but if you want to give us your rankings feel free to put them up

10. @@@

@@@ FHF Regular Player

For me its about making good calls followed by rapport with players, i couldn't careless about tidyness or whether your signals aren't text book as long as your intentions are clear

11. zippytime

zippytime FHF Legend

When I voted it was make good calls. But I also believe that making the crucial calls correctly and having a good rapport with the players as @@@ points out are what makes me a welcome umpire at the clubs I have encounted this season and what impresses the players more.

Although I do need to improve on the Bull**** side of my umpiring to impress the watchers if i am to progress at the level i am moving into

12. suzisnail

suzisnail FHF Regular Player

To me its all about the three c's. Communication, confidence and consistencey. you could also chuck in control to but too much control can be a bad thing.
    You also have to look like you want to be there otherwise why bother to show up in the first place.

13. Tarquin

Tarquin FHF Newbie

So often I have played in mixed or men's games where the umpire has failed to control the game from an early stage. When the game gets fiesty I don't see any harm in poor decisions, as long as a whistle is blown. Yes obviously it helps if the umpire has an idea about the rules, but even if they are clueless it is their responsibility to keep the game safe!
    The other c that is KEY to a good umpire is COMMON SENSE

14. johnreiss

johnreiss FHF Top Player

A misture of all these things, but the most important is "good calls"/ raport with players.

15. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Tarquin in response to your post, while I agree that it is an umpires responsibility to get control of the game early, how this control is achieved will very with the level being umpired. If I am doing a senior mens game I will jump in early and deal with the crap harshly, if I am doing a lower mens game I will umpire in the spirt it is being played. That is if it starts out as a freindly type game I will umpire that way, but I will change my style if the game drops below an acceptable standard.

I find lower skilled players the hardest to deal with because if you umpire them at a high standard they get very emotional and make your life difficult, then if you umpire the game as a freindly they want you to pick up the technical breaches as well but only when it suits them.

16. David Gillard

David Gillard FHF Regular Player

magpie that is the hard part knowing when it suits them so u can make the most appropiate call

17. ElCapitan

ElCapitan FHF Regular Player

I hav emore respect for an umpire if they make strong signals - it's shows that, even if the decision is wrong in your eyes, that they have made their decision and they are sticking to it. I hate upms who make fluffy signals cos what happens is both teams go "what's that for? which way? OI! BLIND BOY!!" etc etc

If I umpire I'll give a strong signal and stay that way until everyone has thought "right - it's pointless arguing with this bloke" :)

El Capitan

18. keely

keely FHF Legend

There's some interesting ... hmmm, how do I say this? ... opposing schools of thought in international circles that I have been exposed to so far. It's not so much one extreme or the other, that accuracy or presentation (selling the call) is paramount, but there are big variations between the two extremes. Lately, I've had more feedback stressing the need to "show yourself" in the game, using "style" and presentation to .

I still land squarely in the camp of "accuracy first". It doesn't matter how good your uniform looks or how flashy your signals are, the players will lose respect for you if you don't show a high standard of correctness (corresponding to the level of play). After that is established, you need the rest of the package - rapport, presentation, looking good.

On the point of looking neat and tidy, I wouldn't downplay it's importance in the overall package either. When I was younger I wanted to be able to wear what I want and still to this date hate the bloody boxy, heavy, huge cotton polo shirts I'm usually forced to wear. Now I've seen that players treat me quite differently if I'm in full kit (moreso when they don't know who I am, of course ;) as opposed to shorts, short socks and a casual T. We're heavily socialized to respect a uniform - military, professional or athletic. Why do teams spend so much money on having identical warm-ups, bags, off-pitch clothes, etc.... there's profound power in the unity of the form.

19. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

sorry I am resurrecting an old thread.

I did a keely search for my answer and saw this.

Garli has indeed hung out with me and when I had to umpire her we both left the field laughing. Now unfortunatly garli didnt have the same experiences with other umpires.

so it goes to show a long way that being human is more important than being a robot.

Keely makes some great points about uniforms and packages...but I think people are disrespecting uniforms more now. maybe its about using personality when making the calls.

example.... I player was trying to tell me they didnt kick it in the circle....I saw it completley...5 metres in front of me. I looked at him...smiled and said..."I know the sun is shining and its pretty hot out here....but Im not that far gone that I couldnt see that." he lokked and I was laughing..and he said "it was worth a try"
    we both had a chuckle and got on with it...not another questioned call from him for the rest of the game.

like im trying to deal with right now....
    policeman vs friend.....somewhere in the middle is my goal.

20. garli

garli FHF Staff

Yeah, well at least you didn't puke in my car. Unlike some refs this weekend. :eek:

Naw, there was only one tragically bad call this weekend. Unless you're referring to one particular .... there's no word for him from 2 years ago at calcup.