Goalkeeper substitution for a field player

Discussion in 'PS and Goalkeeping' started by Hokkie Bokkie, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Hokkie Bokkie

Hokkie Bokkie FHF Newbie

PLease can someone clarify the rules when a GK is replaced with field player. Are there any special requirements for that player?

2. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

I am sure the forum has plenty of threads on this matter. Did you use the search area. I think it will provide you with all the answers and the links.

3. Hokkie Bokkie

Hokkie Bokkie FHF Newbie

Thanks Grumpy
    I have got a few windows open at present and I think I'm getting close.

4. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

ok Ill post.

the goalie can be subbed with a field player.

the PC rules still apply.

IF a goalie is subbed the player may not have goalkeeping privlages unless they wear a helmet.

they may NOT put on a helmet during a PC. but can for a PS.

if they wear a helmet they are considered goalkeepers. if they are not wearing a helmet they are a field player...

easy.

5. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Hokkie Bokkie

The rules of Hockey can be found at this link Rules of Hockey

Umpire Briefing 2008

These two documents will assist you in the full rules regarding the GK.

Foozbear has posted a good summary

AU

6. foozbear

thanks aussie ump.

I was tired after umpiring to find the post.

7. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

@foozbear - there's no rule forbidding the kicking back (player with different colour shirt) from putting the helmet on PC and PS...

Or at least I think so...

8. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

foozbear and The.Rampage.Rado posts are somewhat misleading, so perhaps it is worth summarising the Rules and all those other threads:

There are two alternatives to a fully equipped goalkeeper.

- A field player with the same shirt as other field players has no GK privileges, and may wear a face mask for PC and PC, but is not allowed to wear any GK kit, such as helmet, GK hand protectors.

- A player in a different coloured shirt from either team does have GK privileges, and must wear a helmet to defend PC or PS. This player may, or may not, wear a helmet in open play in the 23m area, but must not take part in play wearing a helmet outside the 23m area.

Time is stopped for substitution only when a fully equipped GK is involved, and the fully equipped GK may enter or leave near the goal. Field players and players in a different shirt must sub on and off near half-way.

The only substition allowed at a PC is when the previous GK has been injured or suspended, with a field player going off to bring on a replacement GK, of the same type as the injured or suspended GK.

There are some other wrinkles, but this covers most of what the umpire needs to remember.

9. foozbear

how is mine misleading?

the answer is in the rules...that was stated and i summarised it. its very basic but the point is there.

10. Diligent

FHF Moderator

Some rules were summarised, but not the FIH Rules of Hockey 2007-08.
    Ok as far as it goes. But the goalie might instead be subbed with a kicking back - which the Rules call a 'player wearing only a helmet', but more important are the Rules about the 'different coloured shirt' - which foozbear never mentioned.

The PC 'no substitution' Rule still applies, except when the GK is injured or suspended - the Umpire Briefing confirms that the replacement for the PC must be the same type of GK - full kit for full kit, or kicking back for kicking back. A field player injured at the award of a PC may leave the field but not be substituted.
    Not exactly. It's the different colour shirt, not the helmet. The player may not have GK privileges unless they wear a different colour shirt. If they wear a different colour shirt they are considered GKs, and from that we know when/where they can/can't/must wear a GK helmet; field players all wear the same colour shirts.
    Not at all what the Rules say. A field player (same shirt as other field players) may NOT put on a GK helmet, even for PC or PS. A kicking back (different colour shirt) MUST wear a GK helmet for PC and PS.

11. keely

keely FHF Legend

Diligent is absolutely correct.

12. Diligent

FHF Moderator

Thanks Keely :)

Just one question. When a GK (full kit GK or kicking back) is injured or suspended at the award of a PC then, instead of kitting up the same type of GK, five field players can defend the PC - right?

13. keely

keely FHF Legend

I certainly believe so but also I would allow a kicking back to substitute in as well - as I said here in a previous discussion you an I had.

14. Diligent

FHF Moderator

Oh yeah :sorry: Still it's good to see my thinking remains consistent with that of 18 months ago :rolleyes:

But what a shame that it all remains a theoretical discussion? Level 1 Umpire courses waste precious time on 'new' GK Rules that candidates will never practise. Keely couldn't report on how different GK options were handled in FIH tournaments, because they weren't used. Sod's Law says it will all change again from July 2009 >: