Goalie kit stolen (UK)

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by bearpaws, Feb 12, 2018.

1. bearpaws

bearpaws FHF Newbie

Just thought to post here in case someone happened upon any goalie gear being offered Arthur Daley-style as I had my car broken into Sunday 2 weeks back in Hackney/Stratford (London) whilst down for the Super 6s at the Olympic Park and amongst other things a full hockey kit bag belonging to my club was taken.
    Talking to some of the local businesses on the phone the following day, it was suggested that it was quite likely to be local gypsies. I presume the market's going to be bit limited to easily offload, at least to bona fide hockey players.

I'm not sure what the branding is (I've only been the 'job' this season) but the kit was relatively basic and getting a bit ragged in places,but the identifiable parts about it were:
    Matching mid-blue, straight-cut, foam legguards and kickers (one of which had a chunk of a back corner broken-off and in the bag); same blue hand protectors (cylindrical stick holder); black and green goalie stick, red helmet (well-worn); black padded shorts; blue (I think), basic body armour; yellow smock which I think has the club logo on (Ludlow). The black roller bag everything was in was probably was in the best nick.

I've taken some cursory looks at some online marketplaces, partly with a view to replacing the gear which unfortunately cannot be claimed on insurance, but I doubt they would use that route.

Well I'm not expecting to see it again, but may be putting the word out might have some effect.

2. The chief

The chief FHF Legend

I very much doubt that it was travelers. They wouldn't steal other people's property, they have too much respect to do that.

3. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

The kit will prob be dumped somewhere might be worth phoning round the police stations in a few days

4. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

did you type that with a straight face? :rolleyes:

The chief and bearpaws like this.
  5. bearpaws

bearpaws FHF Newbie

If nothing else I am getting some entertainment from the incident!

Thanks for the tip nemo... you may well be right!... in fact I phoned the guy that ran the greasy spoon opposite where it happened. He said that he'd 'make some enquiries' and take a look around himself. When I called back he said he'd spoken to the adjacent businesses to see if bags had been dumped; nothing had, I initially thought he was going to covertly find out from the 'gypsies' (he used a sightly different term and suggested that they were probably also 'using') as many of them ate at his cafe and were often trying to offload 'mostly' tools at higher than new prices to him and presumably his other customers!

As I could not give a conclusive location when I initially called the police I called them back when I got back to where I was staying and gave them the full description of items taken etc, by which time they had already sent out text to say that they had had not found anything from their investigations and were a closing the case. I did point out to them that one of the cctv cameras at the Hackney car pound (Google streetview) may have covered the spot but the council would not deal with me only a direct request from the police and they in turn would not look to view any footage outside a 20 min time window (mine was between 10:30 - 18:15) but that the council could call them for me to have permission. I mentioned to them both that I would only need to see a still of the camera footage to see if it even covered it in the first instance... but then I just gave up as I was just carrying messages between them without anything happening..
    That's when I had the hare-brained idea to engage the hockey underworld!:cool: