Getting stated in umpiring

Discussion in 'Development, Skills & Advice' started by Ridgester, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Ridgester

Ridgester FHF Regular Player

Well I'm 17 now and my coach, Tee Goh from the DC Dragons, wants me to start umpiring to make money and learn the game better. I feel I could very easily umpire and do well at it but I need somewhere to start. Any ideas?

2. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

best to do local competitions.

do you know of any junior programs in your area?

ask your coach as they also have suggested it.

I will contact some people I know in the PA area (yeah yeah I know its huge) and see if they know anything.

3. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Re: Getting started in umpiring

"Make money" from umpiring?....:eek: :eek: :eek:

Good luck...you might even enjoy it :)

(Edited to correct thread title!)

4. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

Make "beer money" possibly (though obviously not at Ridgester's tender age).

5. keely

keely FHF Legend

He's American. Trust me, they make coin.

Ridgester, if you need some US umpiring contacts who can send you in the right direction, PM me.

6. Goalie64

Please may I have a Green Card?

7. g9

g9 FHF Legend

Re: Getting started in umpiring

...what did I tell you Ridgester??? ;)

But also told you that umpires are a good bunch on whole and will help mentor a newbie coming into the ranks...so you see that too! Good luck!

8. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

Green, Yellow, Red lol

9. Goalie64

Knew someone would take the bait :p

10. foozbear

OH hey...I know that photo....you played in festival this year...and I unpired your team..twice.

some good hockey from you boys.

Im still waiting for a reply.

Its good to see you wanting to take a bigger intrest in hockey. doing anything in hockey is like a giant family...we all know each other, we catch up once maybe twice a year and talk about anything...(high shots on goal...feet in d....the usual can of worms deal.

Ill talk to jeanne too as she is the umpire co-ordinator for festival...maybe see about getting a mentor next festival for you.

NOW I have more to go with...Ill pm you the results

11. g9

g9 FHF Legend

So Foozbear, which one were YOU???? You know, those yellow shirts make you all look the same!! You'll have to introduce yourself next year!

12. garli

garli FHF Staff

I should be able to figure it out, since I'm pretty sure he stayed in the hotel with us.

13. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

Contact USA Field Hockey and find out who is the Regional Umpire Coordinator for PA. Among that person's responsibilities is to help young umpires get started.

Visit UmpireHockey.com, there's a bit of an online course (see link in upper right of each page). It's not actually a formal course but there is information there and video clips designed for beginners.

Wherever there is field hockey played in high schools in the USA there is typically a local umpire organization. Go to the PIAA website (www.piaa.org) and look for the one that is close by (they have as large list of associations covering the state of PA.

In NJ most local associations say you have to be 18 to do high school games but that is NOT a state rule. Point is, ask the PIAA, not the local contact, if there is a state rule that would prevent you from officiating until your 18.

If the PIAA says yes, you have to wait, you'll start at USA Field Hockey events -- which, frankly, is (IMHO) the best way to start. You'll be officiating the Rules of Hockey, not the "special" high school rules.

If the PIAA says no, when you contact the local association and they tell you you can't start until you're 18, ask your coach for help getting them to change their association's rules and regulations. All they have to do is take a vote to change their by-laws.

Once you start, if you enjoy umpiring and think you're doing well and will get better, I recommend that you set your goals higher than only officiating high school games (i.e. don't stop there). At 17, and as an active player in touch with the modern game, you should consider setting a very high goal....like representing the USA at the Olympics some day.

Try to get some indoor experience and see if you can get your indoor rating. Perhaps you'll be able to officiate some games at some regional qualifiers. Perhaps you'll get to go to the NITs!

Good whistles...Cris

14. Ridgester

thanks guys i left my computer on last night and forgot to log out. but yeah that is all great. yeah g9 you were right. i didn't actually play for the dc dragons at festival but i watched most of their games. when i am able to i play with them but since most of them are u16 i don't get to play a lot. festival was one of the occasions where i could not. i played for the eagles blue team made by mim chappel-eber. bob was the ref i got to know well but i never did get his last name. so you guys are saying local? i know a ref locally very well and ill ask her what our rules are for around here and see if she knows of any camps.

15. foozbear

o'brien is the name you were looking for.

and you must have played on the mixed side. and I did them too.

what area of PA...I have someone saying they could get you started in indoor if your interested. they also sugessted the Pia...something website.

16. Ridgester

Central PA. Selinsgrove is the closest school that is known for hockey. My school is East Juniata and were in disctrict IV.