Germany V Spain, the final

Discussion in '2008 Beijing Olympics' started by Grumpy, Aug 23, 2008.

1. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

Of course afterwards they will be pleased with silver (they should be!). But not just 5min after the lost final I reckon, not if you were striving for gold!

2. Wassie

Wassie FHF Legend

the spirit of the games is to be happy to compete!

3. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

The spirit is long gone, especially when they let professionals compete.
    But also funding is based in a lot of countries on success, no success less funding.

Plus if competing is all you want to do and not winning, you will not win more than likely.

4. iceravenVI

iceravenVI FHF Starter

The dutch story is an exact mirror of my team's performance this year. We got into the semis with least goals conceeded, same as the dutch. Semis ended 1-1, with our opponent scoring in the last 2 minutes to level the game, same as the dutch, came down to strokes, and we lost by 1 stroke, our top flicker missing his, exactly the way the dutch bowed out. and in the third fourth everyone didn't have the heart to play any more, and we lost the bronze medal playoff.

5. Wassie

Wassie FHF Legend

Germany and Holland seem to be good for blow out losses in the 3/4 playoff games. Have seen that happen a number of times in the past. I will let you all form your opinions on why. Tho it is a mentality I wouldnt want to be a part of my team.

6. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

Not sure i would like it either in a team.
    But if all you are geared for is Gold only and being number 1 is the only acceptable outcome of a tournament, this i feel will always be the outcome when failure has occured. They probably also know that with failure the team will be changed very quickly and a good number of the players will be axed weather they win or loose the Bronze medal match.

7. Wassie

Wassie FHF Legend

So why do they have a different approach to their opponents?

8. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

You will have to ask them i can only surmise.

By the way how is the sc practice going Wassie?

9. Wassie

Wassie FHF Legend

Pretty good thanks. We scored both our goals over the weekend from corners.

10. johncoxon

johncoxon FHF Legend

Well GB did OK in the Olympics and even better in the Paralympics and the games were littered with people who got bronze and silver and it just wouldn't do for them , for example our BMX girl who took the risk and fell off her bike as silver was not good enough. Our cyclists have rocked the world as the performance manager wasn't interested in anyone who didn't want to win and take gold. This is a big improvemnent on that English " after you George " thing and the particiapting is the thing idea . The spiirit of the games is to do your very, very best and at least do a PB or more. You don't want to go home thinking you didn't give it your very best.