Germany V Spain, the final

Discussion in '2008 Beijing Olympics' started by Grumpy, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

Germany win Gold
    It was a typical German performance marked by a strong midfield and a stronger defence that choked Spain after Christopher Zeller scored the only goal of the match in the 16th minute.

The super efficient Germans broke Spanish hearts by winning the final and the gold medal by the narrowest of margins. Only Zeller's penalty corner conversion separated the teams, but there was no doubt about Germany's dominance

taken from The Eurosport hockey page, says it all, love the result

2. asrar737

asrar737 FHF Regular Player

Well done. Now they are double champions - World Cup and Olympics!

3. controller

controller FHF Legend

I have just got around to watching the final, very good game, both teams could have won the game but the Germans were that one move ahead and that won the game, congratulations to them.......

4. leaping badger

leaping badger FHF Regular Player

Really did not enjoy that game, but i'm a bit of a child and like lots of goals :(

5. RehanButt

RehanButt Guest

I didn't get to see the match unfortunately. Had to go to the UK for a conference. Anyhow, Spain played brilliantly throughout the tournament. Heard the match could've gone either way. It's a shame they didn't bag the gold. Anyhow, silver isn't bad either. Spain are for me the best team of 2008. Germany on the other hand played very good as well. ;)

6. gerard

gerard FHF Regular Player

the german defence was awesome

7. RehanButt

RehanButt Guest

I've to admit. The German defence is best in the world.

8. John

John FHF Legend

It was dullsville. Matches frequently are when there's a lot riding on them though. The bronze medal games was the one to see.

9. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

But thats international hockey, winning is the aim and nothing else really matters as long as you win.
    I do not mind what it looks like as long as the team gets the result.
    It is no good being the most attractive team if ultimately you do not bring home the big cups.

On the third place play off, knowing the Dutch and having spoken to many players the Bronze is nothing, only Gold is worth fighting for.
    So ity was not really a surprising result.

10. FlashingBlade

FlashingBlade FHF Regular Player

Never right off the Germans lol

11. ausdrexler

ausdrexler FHF Regular Player

I dont necessarily need to see lots of goals, but I like to see lots of attempts atleast. Nothing wrong with a match with end to end action, shots, goalies saving left right and centre and it ends 0-0... generated excitement is what makes a game worth watching. I didnt think this game was a spactacle, but it was as stated elsewhere the gold medal game, and you dont often see open games when a world cup final or olympic gold is on the line, in any sport!

12. digit

digit FHF Regular Player

Makes them sound like sore losers!

13. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

I am a very bad looser and third would not interest me so i understand it. I have never opened my runners up medal for the biggest tournament in Ireland. Loosing is nothing

14. John

John FHF Legend

didn't realise they gave out medals at the easter tournament in Dublin. Still not sure I'v e ever been concious on the last day anyway!

15. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

Irish Senior Cup

16. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I guess that's what Swedish Greco-Roman wrestler Ara Abrahamian thought about his Olympic bronze medal. (He was actually protesting about a refereeing decision in his semi-final, but still...)

17. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

Should not of thrown it away so publically, if he did not want it he should have done what Mohammad Ali did. After the tournament, go home and chuck it in the river.

18. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

Interesting thought... does anyone think that in a sport like hockey (or basketball, volleyball - any of the sports that require a tournament with a final) that the bronze medal might be celebrated more than the silver? If you've got the silver then you've lost the final, fallen at the final hurdle... if you've got the bronze, you've lost your semi, but got a chance of redemption and won the bronze medal match and got something.

19. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

One of the Belgian Judoka's named exactly that reason why she would rather have won bronze than silver lol (btw she didn't win any medal this time). Just because you end with a win, instead of feeling disappointed with the loss :)

20. John

John FHF Legend

No i think its fairly disgraceful to be anything other than happy at being the first, second or third best team in the world after the event. 

I don't see how this stops people from striving to be the best in their approach to an event, especially in a team sport where the two things to concentrate on are playing to the best of your ability and then raising the game of the people around you.

At some stage other people will be better than you for a variety of reasons, its how you learn from that experience to improve your game that counts. Petulant behaviour does no one any favours.