GB ladies in CT

Discussion in '[ARCHIVE] Tournaments' started by Ravennghorde, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

Am I the only one thinking GB ladies look like a bunch of has been a in the CT?

Lazy, lacking stick skills, tactically weak.

2. Ravennghorde

This game is awful. 2-0 down to the yanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    You are not the only one to think that. Although they got a point in the first match against Argentina they where pretty much outplayed in every corner of the pitch. Upfront they don't look dangerous and if it wasn't for Maddie I think we would have seen a bigger scoreline. Maybe there was too much expectations put on them after the Euros?

Ravennghorde likes this.
  4. sammyhan

sammyhan FHF Top Player

It's upsetting because on paper they look like such a great team, yet when watching they don't seem to have any fight or spark.
    Yet this was similar to what many was saying during the poor performance at the World Cup.
    I hope for the sake of hockey in the UK this is just a blip or a warm up before the olympics!

Ravennghorde likes this.
  5. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

Danny and the players know the 16 who will be named on the 28th. He has only played with 16 players this tournament with the other 2 never getting their tracksuits off (at least that was the plan until Cullen got injured)

Subconsciously taking it a wee bit easy not wanting to get injured? Simply not good enough? Bit of both I reckon. When your goalie is MoM game after game (not tonight!) and you claim to be team of the year thanks to a missed sized 10 foot after being completely dominated ..... I'm sticking with my predictions from a few months ago. 6-8th in Rio with outside chance of 4-5th

The other worrying thing is both the men and women have played their full Rio teams at the CT .....and they have struggled against teams who are not at full strength.

Ravennghorde likes this.
  6. LouisY

LouisY FHF Reserve Player

I think for the men it seems like an under-performance on home territory (which is odd I know!) but also happened at the Eurohockey last summer. Maybe they are more used to tournaments being in India, Malaysia, etc and not used to having the major competition environment in the UK? (Bar the Olympics and Eurohockey last year for example).

With the women I am not sure what is happening. Maybe some complacency/lack of motivation before Rio/lack of confidence for some reason? Maybe some form of stagnation in the team resulting from limited competition? For example, why bring Crista Cullen back from retirement when there could be other options in younger players currently playing National League?

Ravennghorde likes this.
  7. two goal debut

two goal debut FHF Starter

Looking through the squad lists for the Champions Trophy GB seem to have the eldest squad in both men's and women's competition.

Argentina, New Zealand and Australia women average a fair bit younger than GB.
    Belgium, India and Germany men average all younger than GB men.

Ravennghorde likes this.
  8. Ravennghorde

Yep, looking a bit passed it. Some should move on to masters.

9. Stuart Burnside

Stuart Burnside FHF All Time Great

It's undoubtedly a disappointing performance but I'm not so sure I'd put it down to age.

10. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Sorry: late to reply to this one - had a lot on my mind.
    No you're not the only one. My thoughts by the 2nd quarter were "this is 2nd division stuff".
    Too many passes poor weight, misdirected, or simply sent without looking.
    A few flashes of individual brilliance, but otherwise lacklustre, and half a second slower than USA to almost everything.

On the other hand, I was impressed by the progress USA has made since I last saw them - well deserving of their place in this competition.
    And it turned into a fine evening weather-wise.

steve and Ravennghorde like this.
  11. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    Pretty sad to see the host nation doing so bad.

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 11.02.20 AM.png

12. hyau

hyau FHF Starter

Takes the shine off their euro gold doesn't it really. GB hockey level isn't what it use to be/up to the standards of the rest of the world.

13. Stuart Burnside

A bad tournament, but I don't think it necessarily detracts from the euro gold:

1 if you look at the table Steve posted above, 4 of the 6 teams were on low points before yesterday's game & a win for either bottom team could have taken them through to the bronze medal. So not a huge difference between bronze 3rd in the world ooh excitement for Olympics & 6th sigh they're awful.
    2 players from every team, including NED, have made unforced errors in this tournament. I would say it's the weather, but it rained last year & I'm sure I've seen more this time.
    3 every team playing apart from USA was ranked higher than GB, no? So even with the Euro Gold you would expect every team here to be "better" than GB but for GB to be capable of beating them?

My take on the rest based on what I watched live rather than a full tournament review:
    NED a class above as usual but showed some weakness at times. Not indestructible.
    ARG first time I've watched them live. Good skills, but, and I hope this isn't seen as unfair, seemed to have a little higher gamesmanship than other teams.
    AUS not at their best at all. Good individual skills as usual but looked a bit tired & not always clicking (but this is only because I'm used to them being better).
    USA impressive, very determined & looked super fit. Some great individual skill at times. Crowd pleasing.
    NZ love a Kiwi, and they'll always compete, but a bit like Aus, they looked a little off the pace. Great determination as usual & the game against USA showed that - though to me the USA players looked a lot faster to the ball.

The "clicking as a team" looked best for NED, ARG & USA to me.

14. Jammin

Jammin FHF Top Player

I think the likes of Danson and Bray have enough ability to create opportunities but too often they're finding themselves leading the press on the halfway line. And even if they were 30 yards further up the pitch they wouldn't be getting the service required anyway. The midfield engine just hasn't been there this tournament, the side has a serious problem with transferring the ball from defence to attack and I've barely seen any of the trailblazing runs we're used to from Townsend.

I do wonder whether a few players are staying on longer than they should have after the Euros. Perhaps their diminishing ability to cover the ground required is why the team looks so sluggish and ponderous now, they're afraid of losing the ball and not having the defensive shape to withstand the counter attack.

steve and Ravennghorde like this.
  15. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I'd agree with that, and the rest. USA definitely one to watch.

16. James Havlin

James Havlin FHF Top Player

I wonder where GB ladies would be now if Graig Parnham had got the coaching job after 2012 instead of Leeboy.

FatGinge9 and Ravennghorde like this.
  17. Ravennghorde

Not sure which team I'll support. Depends if GB extract the digit from their collective backside in the next 10 minutes. Lunch came from the NZ stand...

18. Stuart Burnside

Think they showed you the digit :D

(Sorry couldn't resist - happy to buy you a beer if you're around)

Ravennghorde likes this.
  19. Ravennghorde

The played their best game since the Argentina match.
    Might take you up on the beer, between matches?

20. Stuart Burnside

Sure - meet in West Stand bar after this game, I'm in shorts & white cap?