Frankensteins body armour on George Pinner

Discussion in 'GK Gear Reviews' started by NSW, Jun 17, 2017.

1. NSW

NSW FHF Newbie

Did anyone see the England Hockey pictures of GCP01 from Thursday. On one of the pictures you can see his BA. Looks like a combination of Mercian extreme with a lower portion of TK (?) velcroed to the bottom... almost replicating the TKP1 set up

I'm sure Mr Pinner knows what he is doing, but looks awfully uncomfortable and not sure of the benefit of the lower portion

2. gomac182

gomac182 FHF Regular Player

Where are the pictures posted?

3. LuluGoalie

LuluGoalie FHF Top Player

Comes up pretty easily with a Google search, it does look rather bulky, but each to their own :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

4. Stephen65

Stephen65 FHF Legend

Drinking more beer is a more enjoyable way to get extra stomach padding.

G, nemo and The.Rampage.Rado like this.
  5. NSW

NSW FHF Newbie

I'm with you on that Stephen65 !!! :)

I guess it is each to his (or her) own, but cant see the benefit of the lower section myself

6. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF Super Star

TK have often sold BA with a removable lower section

[​IMG]

7. Grim_D

Grim_D FHF Regular Player

Pinner has been using this setup for ages now; started with a Mercian BA and the extra TK abdomen padding in his days at Beeston and in the Euros with them.

A lot of shorts don't give much protection to the centre, so there is a gap between bottom of chest pad and jock etc. and this is a quick fix. Making standing saves and/or warming up against internationals is more likely to leave you more vulnerable; same idea as wearing a double cup jock. You might think it'll never happen, but the ball always manages to find its way through all the padding anyway!

8. NSW

NSW FHF Newbie

9. NSW

NSW FHF Newbie

Hi Grim,

I totally agree on the short issue. I posted separately about issues I was having trying to find suitable shorts coming back to the sport

I used to wear a cooperall ice hockey girdle (and was delighted to find a new one on eBay for $70) which sits higher all round than any current hockey specific short. It has padding around the sides and the front of the girdle that current products don't. Admittedly it doesn't cover the inside of the thigh in the same way as the Obo Robo or TK, but I'm prepared to sacrifice that for the all round protection elsewhere. I'm backing myself to get in the right position to use the padding I wear.

I'd much rather opt for smaller, tighter fitting shorts and armour ...but as people have said, it's down to personal choice