Forum Improvement Suggestions

Discussion in 'FHF Community' started by Magpie, May 15, 2008.

1. dannythegoalie

dannythegoalie FHF Regular Player

Yes! Get in!!! :eek:

2. Dalyrimple

Dalyrimple FHF Starter

On the new replies to your posts screen (very good btw)
    have the ability to stop replies bieng posted here from certain posts, i.e i always have "how old are you" there as it is commonly written on but i have only written one short comment on there...

??? :baffled: rofl :eek:oh:

3. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Good question :yes:

We can look into it thank you.

4. gerard

gerard FHF Regular Player

Can we have bigger inboxs etc....

I am trying to send messages to a friend and is inbox is full...

Times like this its really important....coz he is in the country for a hockey tourney and i need to get a stick off him.

Or some sort of page where we put up posts to certain people and they get it via mail...

5. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

gerard if they are your friend and you are getting sticks off them etc, why didnt you just get his email to begin with?

6. gerard

My....bad...coz we only email on FHF...anyways got in contact wif him...aww now gota get ready for games 2moro

7. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Thanks for the suggestion :yes:

However, the problem is people not emptying their inboxes, not the size of them. If we made them bigger people would just store more and in a few weeks the problem would be the same.

Tell your friend to delete his PMs.

8. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

the Notify button for a topic (top and bottom of topic block) is a two way (boolean) switch. If you click it once , it turns on the notify option for that topic. Clicking it again turns it off.

9. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

Clarification about NOTIFY vs SHOW

Notify (watch this topic) is where you get email updating you about new replies on topics that the user selects with the Notify button. Yes it can be turned on and off as I said

However, if a user is just concerned about Show unread / new posts since last visit, then that is a database function linked to a user's UID on the messages on the forum - perhaps the only way (without a forum mod/plugin) is for the user to delete all of their own posts (or get a moderator to do it) in that particular topic - that way there is nothing in the database for the Show unread... / Show new... function to find.

10. gerard

how bout we have a page for JUST tournaments...instead of going to the countries region etc.we just have one page where we list all the tourneys etc.

11. keely

keely FHF Legend

What kind of tournaments? Domestic tournaments will only be of interest to local people, and the few from abroad who are interested will know where to look. If a tournament organizer is soliciting interest from teams abroad to participate, all of those are collected in the Adverts section.

International tournaments are under the FIH Tournaments sub-board.

12. freebird

freebird FHF All Time Great

Was wondering about higher security for people joining - and possibly a closed board?

At the minute there are too many pointless posts - and a few bits of spam.

13. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Hi Freebird, thanks for the feedback. I'll leave it to others better placed than me to answer the questions about security. Not sure what you mean by a 'closed board': closed to whom? It sounds like a way to set up an inner clique to me, which I don't think would be healthy for the Forum. ("You can't join the closed board because we don't like you...")

With regard to the "pointless posts", there's not really much we can do other than to move them to the correct place (usually 'On The Bench') and delete the more egregious ones. If we get too over-protective of the content we're accused of being heavy-handed in our moderation; and we all need to remember that one person's pointlessness is another person's amusing side-track.

As for the spam, we delete it as soon as it's pointed out to us, or when we spot it ourselves. If you - or anyone else - spots spam on the boards, please report it to the mod team (using the "Report to moderator" link in the bottom right-hand corner of every post) and we'll get rid of it as soon as we can (remembering that we all need to sleep, eat and do the work for which we're actually paid!).

Thanks

Red

14. Magpie

Magpie Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Red is correct having a closed forum would not be a good idea. Over the years we have had only a few security issues and the problem was solved by only allowing people who have made 25 posts or more to use the PM ability. This was done to stop people joining and then using the PM to spam members. Further if a person is a constant spammer the BAN option maybe used.

The moderators do a wonderful job keeping the forums clean of spam posts, however members need to understand that Mods and Kilmory give up their personal time to keep the forum as tidy as possible.

15. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Actually all my free time belongs to my wife, so we should be very grateful that my wife gives up my free time for the forum. rofl

GoalieUK likes this.
  16. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

I think that in the fullness of time (about 0.375 nanoseconds) you will regret that comment!

17. Justin

Justin FHF Super Star

Has someone already commented on the apparent restriction on the number of times one can edit a post, even before anyone has made a subsequent post? It is frustrating, as I often have 'supplementary thoughts'!

18. Tremo

Tremo FHF Top Player

I think i can remember before, when replying to a post, if someone else had commented whilst you were typing it would come up and say 'joe bloggs has posted whist you were typing, would you still like to post'... Or something along those lines?
    Could we maybe get that back, and if we didnt have it and im making it up, could we have it anyway :)

19. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    Its something that I noticed that it was missing. Will see how to put it back in

20. nawoo

nawoo FHF Newbie

Hi
    I have been a member for sometime now but but this is my first post. I would like to suggest that we should have a FHF Prediction League. This year we will have the two Champions Trophies plus the Olympic Qualifying tournaments and the Olympics. May be we start one as a trial to see the response from our members, if the response is good then may be we can try to look for a simple prize to award to the winner(s).
    Thank you.