fitness tracking sensors

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Just-that-ek, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Just-that-ek

Just-that-ek FHF Newbie

As the title says, does anybody use heart rate monitors/sensors to see how the body is doing during training/matches.

It probably seems a bit OTT in the lower leagues but I'm wanting to see how my body is copping on match days and just a general idea of how many calories I'm burning, heart rate, distance traveled etc.

There's so many on the market and trying to find one that'll be reliable is proving difficult, ideally I want a chest strap as the reviews are saying their better.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Accidental

Accidental FHF Top Player

I currently wear a Fitbit Blaze whilst playing. Gives me steps (and from that an estimated distance), calories, heart rate and heart rate zones (fat burn, cardio, peak). If you link it to your phone's Bluetooth you will also get a GPS map of your activity plus a more accurate distance measurement. I haven't tried it but I think my Bluetooth would only cover half the area I'd need from the side of the pitch. The Fitbit Surge has built in GPS so might be a better bet if that's what your after.

Previously I wore a Garmin Forerunner with a chest strap and this in my opinion is much better for specific activities like a match (the Fitbit being better for all day wear). I'm suspicius that the heart rate monitoring is not as accurate as it could be on the Fitbit.

Just-that-ek likes this.
  3. Stikklebrik

Stikklebrik FHF Regular Player

I play league and wear one as I'm just interested in how I'm doing, distance travelled etc.
    It really comes down to what you want to see and how much you're happy to spend.

You can pick up a Garmin Fenix 2 or 3 for between £100-200 (via ebay etc) and have a heart rate strap. The new Fenix 3 doesn't need one as it's inbuilt too.
    Can measure all sorts of things so mine currently looks at
    Distance, pace, HR as a general 3. you can also get VO2 max, HR zones, recovery time, elevation change (not really good for the game if honest) and a GPS function will also map you on the pitch. At first thought this may not sound like an interesting element but if you're meant to be playing a specific role on the pitch you can see where you go in line (or not) with this.
    Links to an app on android/iphone and also a dedicated site on the internet.

4. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

I have a Polar RCX5 with HR strap, GPS unit and the watch - good for tracking you around the pitch as well as your average HR, calories etc - generally more accurate than the wrist bands. I also have a Polar wrist band which I have started using (steps / HR) but no GPS. Polar gear is good for me anyway, the RCX5 is geared as a tri setup as it has settings for running, swimming and cycling as well as the obligatory "other" for say fixed gym machines or whatever else you do.

5. Minty

Minty FHF Starter

I used to wear a TomTom Runner 2 Watch underneath a sweatband to understand distance ran, speed and a general overview of my movement on the pitch. Surprisingly accurate considering the relatively small dimensions of a hockey pitch and multi directional nature of hockey. Only stopped wearing it because I didn't charge it and keep forgetting to take it out of my hockey bag to charge. Might do it tonight before training tomorrow.

I found the heart rate chest monitor horrendous to wear in the warmer months of pre-season and haven't tried it since. Found it really restrictive to my breathing. The couple of times I did wear it, I found the info as I would expect. Again, I shall try it at training as it has cooled down and it may not cause a horrendous localisation of sweat.

I shall try and put up later a snapshot of the info provided on the dashboard.

Just-that-ek likes this.
  6. Accidental

Accidental FHF Top Player

It interesting that some people have struggled with the chest strap, for what it's worth I've never had a problem. Might be a male/female thing.

7. Gingerbread

Possible or it was a bit tight maybe. I have 2, one for the polar and one for my bike garmin, never had any issue with either despite them being different designs. Rinse the strap after each use and wash the cloth bits every 10 or so and it's fine, if anything might be a bit loose

8. Andy H

Andy H FHF Starter

I started out with the Adidas MiCoach in the Adidas Adipower II shoes. Great little device and plenty of info to use to analyse how much time you are stood still/walking/jogging/sprints. Really useful in terms of analysing full matches. The only cons are that you have to replace the battery every few months, and there is no way of knowing when it will run out.

I am using the Fitbit Surge. everything the Blaze (features stated above) can do and you don't need to sync it to your phone to get the GPS as it is built in. If you are worried about knocking the screen you can get Corning protectors on Amazon for pounds, or on Gearbest for pennies.

the level of detail on the MiCoach tracker was unreal. I'll try and post some screens when I finish work later.

Just-that-ek likes this.
  9. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Adidas DF24, Beikou Drag 90, This would be quite a list for all of them....
    i use a myzone heat rate monitor, links to your phone or you can get a watch that displays it all tells you calories burn etc but also gives you a score for how hard you have worked

10. RussellButt

RussellButt FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I got told by umpires I couldn't wear my TomTom Multisport watch for league matches 'in case I injured another player with it'.
    That thing is largely rubber and plastic so I wouldn't have a hope in hell of playing with a huge chunk of metal on my wrist like a Fenix 3.
    (Really bl**dy want one though!).

11. Gingerbread

Yeah umpires generally don't like stuff like watches on players because you don't know how it might catch someone during the game - maybe cover it with a sweat band

12. RussellButt

RussellButt FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I normally do, but forgot that week!

13. Andy H

Andy H FHF Starter

Never been told not to wear the Surge by umpires, but advised against playing with it by other players mainly because they wouldn't like to destroy such a nice watch

14. Just-that-ek

Just-that-ek FHF Newbie

Right so I bought a polar H7 heart rate sensor which is the chest strap. Used it tonight at training. Worked fine so I'll be using it for Saturday. Just hope it stays in signal with my phone lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Mick Mason

Mick Mason FHF Top Player

Was your phone on the bench while you did that, or with you in a pocket of some sort?

16. Just-that-ek

Just-that-ek FHF Newbie

It was in my pocket for a bit. Then I put my phone behind the goal whilst running down the side line.

17. lewijono

lewijono FHF Starter

Stick/s:
    Gryphon Tour Samurai
    does the gps element then only work when connected to your phone via bluetooth? Very tempted to get one but if it has to be connected for the gps seems a bit counter productive

18. Gingerbread

GPS unit has to be on you to track you around, if the phone is doing the GPS and is behind the goal it'll just record static. You can get separate GPS units though

19. lewijono

lewijono FHF Starter

Stick/s:
    Gryphon Tour Samurai
    Ah right my bad, I thought the heard rate sensor was a GPS unit as well

20. Gingerbread

Possibly but unlikely, most of the setups I have seen are a separate GPS unit or an integrated one in the watch which does HR from your pulse