Final version of 2013 rule book published

Discussion in '2013 Official FIH Rules Book' started by Ballingdon, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Ballingdon

Ballingdon FHF Top Player

There's a new release of the FIH Outdoor Rule Book on the FIH site at

http://www.fih.ch/files/Sport/Rules/FIH-Rules of Hockey 2012-interactif.pdf

A quick check reveals that there is an amendment to 9.7 to allow use of a high stick to save a goalbound deflection off a defender ( so I'm happy).

In the rush to correct this (which is good) , sadly there is no change bar on this amendment

No doubt someone else will check the rest of the book over.. :)

I hope this new version is more formally communicated down thie hierarchy to everyone. I havent seen anything yet

2. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

This is the phrase that has been added to the guidance to 9.7:

Ballingdon, I've changed the title of the thread to clarify what it's about. Hope that's OK with you?

3. Ballingdon

Fine by me, Red

Level 2 and trying!

4. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Conversation with England Hockey HQ this morning indicated that the printers will be shipping Rule Books in the next week or so.

5. keely

keely FHF Legend

*sigh* And no footnote acknowledging Ballingdon and FHF for their contribution. ;)

6. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I wonder when the indoor rules will be out and especially the guidance regarding the no hands on the floor rule, indoor season is starting soon over here and it would make sense to make people used to this new rules before the upcoming Euro competitions where this rule will be in use.

7. Ballingdon

Gutted !

Level 2 and trying!

AlanD likes this.
  8. Diligent

FHF Moderator

Just had delivery of the first batch of 2013 Rule Books for next week's umpire course.

The printers appear to have the initially released edition from 31 Aug, since there is no note to 9.7 about "Mandatory Experimental Rule 8" as in the version on the web since 23 Sep (page 22).

9. redumpire

FHF Moderator

You should let FIH know via their website, Diligent.

10. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

Why on earth the ridiculous haste to introduce the new rules?
    I can just imagine someone running on to the pitch, ManU v ManCity, yelling to the ref and waving an updated , updated rule book!

11. redumpire

FHF Moderator

We're five rounds of games into the 2012/13 national league season using the new rules over here. I'm pleased to report that the sky is still very firmly in place despite dire warnings to the contrary...

*sits back and waits for the scorn police to arrive*

Nij likes this.
  12. Cookie

Cookie FHF Legend

Have you seen many/any own goals at that level Red?

13. redumpire

FHF Moderator

One so far, Cookie. Bowdon v Doncaster two weeks ago. The right back shelled a dreadful bouncing pass across the D to left back who was stood about two feet off the left hand post. He did his best to control it, but it bounced up, hit his stick and rolled into the goal, while the GK stood, watched and reacted too late when he remembered that the rules had changed...

There have been a few OGs at MHL level. There were two on 29 Sept; two, including the one described above, on 6 Oct; and three in last Saturday's games. I have to say that's more than I was expecting to see.

14. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

I'd hope the national league would know the rules. :)
    But it appears that lesser leagues haven't even got up to date rule books. Even one with an efficient officer like Diligent, apparently hasn't distributed any
    As for minor associations. ( even lesserer ? :p ......!)
    Or countries which need to translate the books?

15. Diligent

FHF Moderator

Flattery much appreciated. But FIH always said they were publishing on the web so that hockey had the full rule book available, and printed copies are inevitably the last step in the process. England Hockey had them 10 days ago, but dividing up half a ton of Rule Books into packages, with 2 or 3 further levels of distribution before individuals get them, all takes time.

16. jayjay

jayjay FHF Legend

in Austria i doubt most umpires even have a rule book. we have a link to the english version on our website, as well as the presentation for the updates, some info in german, and all the relevant regulations.
    and we've never had a problem with implementing new rules. granted, we have VERY few umpires over here, that makes it very easy.. :)

17. valleyboy

valleyboy FHF Newbie

I had one at the Australian Hockey League between Victoria and Queensland - deflection from the top of the D into the goal ... Made it easy for me as there were three players in the group, one defender and two attackers ... Thankfully I didn't need to worry about which stick it came off(!).

18. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Strange that even down at my level (North West HL, Div 8 South West) everyone, players and umpires, are aware of this rule without a single version of a paper rule book required. Maybe this internet thing will catch on?

19. Diligent

FHF Moderator

Well maybe. But since the latest changes are to the single most applied rule in the book (13.2) and the single most significant (8), it would be a surprise to find any player didn't know them.

But it's worth having a traditional paper rule book to explain (yet again) the rule about approaching a falling raised ball, when a PC is over, and of course how the 'new' goalkeeping options apply to PC, PS and suspension or substitution of GKs. It's my impression that half the players on the planet still don't believe the rule book could say that, and half of those suspect I've 'modified' my copy because surely FIH can't possibly mean it.

Our local association is making the 2013 Rule Book available in its on-line shop, and will see how many members order the free copy to which we are entitled. I'll try to report back in a month or so as to the take-up.

20. RazorRich

RazorRich FHF Starter

"we'll have a look at the rule book after the game" is one of my favourite phrases. especially effective if your hand is heading towards your card pocket at the same time