FIH publishes Rulebook for 2013

Discussion in '2013 Official FIH Rules Book' started by keely, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

It's just a clarification so that we're measuring from the important points. However, would it not have reduced even more stacking of errors to have the rule defined such that the nearest point of the penalty spot is to be 6.40 metres from the outside edge of the line -- as this is often where players place the ball, if the circle is not the size it should be, there's an inherent (dis)advantage to the attacker and defender -- with measuring done from the two points that matter most you have only one error to be concerned with, not two (as in the 2013 edition) or three (as currently).

Of course, that's only if we want to get really technical on it :p I'm sure they'll have fixed it by the time we get the next Olympic final to be really freaked out on trivial rules.

2. Justin

Justin FHF Super Star

I wonder why the penalty spot still 150mm in diameter (twice the diameter of the ball) ? We are way past a 3" brush dipped in a can of whitewash for marking; I'd have thought, say, 50mm would be sufficient.
    And surely there is no reason for the spot to be white or yellow (which causes it to be confused with the ball on video and television) why not red or black?

Perhaps a new thread should to be started for this important subject?:rolleyes:

3. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Are you sure it needs a new thread? The main reason why it remains 150mm, and white (or the same as other hockey lines on the pitch) is that altering several thousand spots worldwide might be difficult.
    Personally I think 6 inches is about as right as it could be.

4. Justin

Justin FHF Super Star

Having played on many multi-sports surfaces,where there are/were markings in red, blue, black, etc, I wouldn't have thought this a major difficulty ....just thought it a small change which would improve the game for 'viewers', even if only used (optionally, maybe?) on pitches used for televised/filmed games
    But of course it isn't 'important' (hence the smiley)...there are much more serious things to discuss in the rules.

Incidentally, they still don't seem to have mastered the stick diagram ..... it now appears, I am advised, to outlaw some multi-kinked GK sticks ....but perhaps that was intentional! Again, not that important...except, possibly, to those previously-mentioned hawk-eyed coaches who wish to play mind games with their opponents :rolleyes:

5. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Do I get the impression that FHF is struggling for more barrel scrapings of any sort from 2013 Rules?
    If so, it would suggest FIH/HRB has done a pretty good job.

Nij likes this.
  6. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Yep, and, if my sources are right, and there's to be a clarification of rule 9.7 included in the final version of the rule book to allow defenders to use their sticks above shoulder height when stopping a colleague's deflection that's heading towards the goal, that will show that they do listen to real issues when they are raised.

It would, of course, also imply that they're aware of the other so-called problems raised on here, and which have been brought to their attention, but they just don't see them as issues that need addressing.

Nij and Bambi32619 like this.
  7. Ballingdon

Ballingdon FHF Top Player

As I raised the issue about how the rules are drafted and reviewed prior to publish, I think we have discovered that FIH could use a "crowd review" via , say,. FHF or perhaps some other (more controlled?)mechanism. They can harness the benefit of collective wisdom, rather than have to do it all themselves.

Justin likes this.
  8. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Thread edited to remove off topic conversation.

Can we keep to topic please.

9. ToPpS

ToPpS FHF Regular Player

Presentation of new rules governing USA Field Hockey, FIH, and NFHS competitions. Written by Steve Horgan, Director of Umpiring, USA Field Hockey.

10. ToPpS

ToPpS FHF Regular Player

11. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

All posts relating to the new briefing have now been moved to the separate thread on that topic.