FIFA World Cup

Discussion in 'On the bench' started by RobJ, Dec 2, 2010.

1. RobJ

RobJ FHF Top Player

SO - Russia got the 2018 event and Qatar got the 2022: any comments or thoughts?

Russian President Putin seems to have promised a number of things which will make traveling to and around Russia a lot more attractive to supporters

2. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I was lucky enough to go to Ekaterinburg as an umpire at an European Indoor competition back in 2004. They were fabulous hosts: nothing was too much trouble. Getting into the country was interesting and they may have to relax their visa requirements for the world cup, but there's no reason why it won't be a success in Russia.

3. Alex-willoz

Alex-willoz FHF Regular Player

I think fifas decision is the opposite of what the hockey world cup host decision was based on. I feel that fifa are trying to expand football more and give countries a chances to host it and build as they call it a legacy. This is a great idea. I feel that the british public are very ignorant about russia and they seem to thin that it will be snowing in the middle of summer throughout the whole of russia. :S

Hosting one in qatar is also a very good and interesting idea as the middle east is a very powerful and influential part of the world that has never hosted a world cup despite having vast wealth and a football league that seems to cope with the conditions. Admittedly the seasons are probably different but I don't see why air conditioned stadiums are such a bad thing?!? At least they can't blame it on the heat like some did in south africa :p despite it being their winter.

Did I miss anything??.... :p. Lol

4. Dave30

Dave30 FHF Legend

ROBBED absoutely robbed!

obviously not fifa board members are ever paying for petrol again

5. RobJ

RobJ FHF Top Player

Yeah - the safety issues the British press raised about South Africa will probably be repeated for Brazil in 2014 and for Russia in 2018 rofl

6. RushMan

RushMan FHF All Time Great

Does the host nation automatically qualify ?

7. amb217

amb217 FHF Starter

The Qatar seemed very odd, especially as the USA growing strength and popularity of US "soccer"! And Australia not having hosted a world cup before?

Is Qatar really big enough to host it? And besides what has Qatar ever done in world football! Drubbing boys of 2022 like people thought North Korea and T&T!

IMO no complaints about Russia, would be a good place to go!

8. Dave30

Dave30 FHF Legend

yes, can't wait for mighty qatar to play brazil when australia easily beats them 5-0

9. amb217

amb217 FHF Starter

Yes rushman, South Africa probably wouldn't have qualified for 2010 without being hosts!

10. Dave30

Dave30 FHF Legend

at least south africa have a few class players, qatar are all naturalised south americans

11. Alex-willoz

Qatar will probably do what loads of European nations do and help south american footballers qualify for citizenship. Those who haven't had international caps for their own country. I'm sure qatar would make it very worth their while :p

I'm sure the facilities will be top notch at both of these events. Think about the formula 1 in qatar and other arab nations. The money is there. There technology is there to be able to host it well with the summer temperatures.

With the US bid you have to feel that they hosted a world cup to recently to host another despite the up and coming popularity with the sport. australia also had a good bid and It could have easily gone to them. But I think they wanted to move away from "western" society(in a very liberal meaning of it... :p) this is unfortunate for australia.

We can pretty safely say that the 2026 world cup is going to be in europe. Looking at the recent trends.. Lol.

12. Alex-willoz

Don't get me started on the supposed lack of safety precaution allegations. I just think its the british press stirring things up that they are so good at going. Sure there are going to be security issues. BUT there are at every single major sporting event as there, Whatever country it is hosted in.

I think russia will host a very unique world cup. Can u imagine the world cup in england? Well wouldn't be a great cultural display from us as from what our bid seemed to show that all our culture is is football.

Another thing is look at the other sporting events we have to host around and before the 2018 world cup would have been, the olympics, the rugby world cup, the cricket world cup, the list goes on. There are even speculation that a super bowl will be held at wembley, not that I feel this is likely soon because of the already uncertainty about a lockout and there are many fans against this idea already. All these factors could have pushed the hockey world cup away from england too.