Evolution of the Goalkeeper Kit

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by Amey Khanolkar, Dec 3, 2017.

1. mbray

mbray FHF Top Player

Looks a lot like him - the other one from that team was Veryan Pappin - they both used the Slazenger/Cooper combination.

2. NSW

NSW FHF Newbie

I think you’re right @mbray, no 9 looks like Veryan Pappin. I don’t recall Taylor wearing Cooper gloves. After the 84 olympics I think he was only Slazenger ... international, Super Pro and then the moon boots he wore in Seoul.

Lots of mixing and matching in the early foam years though across the GK’s as companies quickly jumped on the foam revolution

Ice hockey shorts or girdle, chest and arms went on for much longer before hockey specific came out

Anyone remember the first box type foam pads that sat very narrow on your legs and were symmetrical?

3. mbray

mbray FHF Top Player

Yes - I had a pair of those in 1990/91 from Monarch - they were very good. I remember once flicking a PC strike over the bar with one side one week - "Lucky" said our CF. Two weeks later I did it again - "Fair enough" was the comment.

4. mbray

mbray FHF Top Player

How about Prospec? This is me in the late 80s.... Monarch kickers, SCM gloves, Cooper protection, Prospec pads...stupidly short stick... prospec.jpg

5. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

I remember my first foam pads were Slazenger , they were really thin by today's standards but also the ball didn't travel as quick !!!!

6. Amey Khanolkar

Amey Khanolkar FHF Newbie

Here are some photos of Australian national team goalkeepers Rachael Lynch and George Bazeley in their kits when they started out playing hockey. Interesting that Lynch has been wearing OBO gear since the very beginning.