Evolution of the Goalkeeper Kit

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by Amey Khanolkar, Dec 3, 2017.

1. scmods

scmods FHF Regular Player

As best I can remember I didn't get gloves until under 13's, which was my third year of goalkeeping. And I don't think I got any sort of chest protection until two years after that.

2. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

Boys at my school didn't play hockey but i do remember that the girls playing in goal never had gloves. Consequently they tried to use the stick all the time instead of saving with their kickers/pads.

3. scmods

scmods FHF Regular Player

The girls I deal with in the youngest grades still do that, even with all the gear on.

4. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Sorry not noticed this thread before. I have an archive of most Rule Books back to 1984, plus 1968.

In 1968 there was no rule at all concerning clothing or equipment of goalkeepers.

In 1984 Rule 9(b) permitted GK to use: body protectors, pads, kickers, gauntlet gloves (usually cricket WK gloves), headgear (ice hockey helmet), facemasks (also borrowed from other sports - base ball catcher?), and elbow pads. Pads must not be wider than 12 inches (approx 30 cm), and gauntlets no wider than 8 inches (approx 20 cm). Masks are recommended to be moulded plastic.

The 1994 Rule Book added 9(c) requiring GK to wear protective headgear (equipment spec = full face helmet recommended; anything approved for ice hockey likely to be good for GK; eg Coopers mentioned earlier in thread). GK to wear helmet at all times, except when stepping up to take a PS. At that time the spec for GK gloves was still a gauntlet with separate fingers and no webbing - as the GK was allowed to catch the ball at a PS. As it happens, the current 13.9b still allows the GK to catch the ball at a PS. I'd say not many umpires know that, but luckily I did when the PwGKP held the stroke one-handed in his top right corner. No goal!

1995 required the tip of the gauntlet to be no more than 6 inches from the base of the fingers - maybe in response to innovations mentioned in the OP - and then in 1997 they gave up altogether and let it be "hand protectors": maximum 9 inches wide and 14 inches long, providing the stick was held by the GK's hand, not any built-in fixing. With metrication in 1998 these dimensions became 300mm for pads and 228 by 355 for hand protectors. Also in 1998 was added strong recommendation for GKs to wear protection for hand, elbow, thigh, knee, etc., at all times.

In the 2004 re-write, detailed equipment specifications were dropped from the Rule Book, and then almost immediately restored in 2005. Apart from the prohibition of multi-coloured smocks from 2009 to 2017, I don't see any substantial change from 1997.

Pedantic? Moi? :rolleyes:

#24 Diligent, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:45 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 11:57 AM
  5. Hellsbells

Hellsbells FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Mercian Znake (x2; pink and orange) Grays GX5000
    Taken in 1989. No helmet, armour,shorts throat protector etc. Only a 1980s perm to keep my head safe. A helmet did follow not long after this as the face mask I was given gave me a headache.
    Personally my kit evolved as I got hit. Nowadays I wouldn't go anywhere on a pitch without full kit.

Attached Files:

Amey Khanolkar likes this.
  6. Amey Khanolkar

Amey Khanolkar FHF Newbie

Wow, thank you very much, Diligent for the detailed insight into the evolution of hockey rules with respect to goalkeeper's kits. You are very methodical when it comes to archiving the rule books, and also very knowledgeable (I had no idea a player with goalkeeping privileges could catch the ball during a penalty stroke!). Regarding the use of goalkeeper's gauntlets before the arrival of the hand protectors, it's interesting to see that even today, some manufacturers keep the traditional gauntlets in stock - perhaps for junior goalkeepers, gauntlets are a good economic option since there aren't as many aerial shots. Attached are a few images of goalkeeper's gauntlets in the market today from TK, Gray's, and Rakshak.

I wanted to ask why goalkeepers do not hold the stick in their left hand, since there is nothing preventing them from doing so in the rules. As sanabas mentioned, it would be perfectly legal to hold the stick in the left hand if manufacturers like OBO made mirror images of moulds for their hand protectors. Why do left handed goalkeepers not go for this option? Is it to do with the shape of the stick being right handed in hockey?

Attached Files:

#26 Amey Khanolkar, Dec 8, 2017 at 6:40 PM
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 6:46 PM
  7. mbray

mbray FHF Top Player

Regarding the use of goalkeeper's gauntlets before the arrival of the hand protectors, it's interesting to see that even today, some manufacturers keep the traditional gauntlets in stock - perhaps for junior goalkeepers, gauntlets are a good economic option since there aren't as many aerial shots. Attached are a few images of goalkeeper's gauntlets in the market today from TK, Gray's, and Rakshak.

Not sure I would have used any of those even all that time ago. The Slazengers were good as were the SCM ones (anyone remember that company?) and then Monarch did some very nicely made gloves around 1990.

8. NSW

NSW FHF Newbie

SCM brings back memories!! Changing from the leather and cane square toes to SCM wedge kickers (and on to the “shoe” design) was like taking a step into the future

Talking about old brands, does anyone remember DJ hockey who made hybrid foam/cane leg guards for indoors in the 80’s? Surely the first use of foam in leg guards

Going back to gauntlets, I see that Verbunt still have a couple of pairs of the Bauer version of the Cooper gloves at the start of this thread. Whilst a convert to the modern foam pads, I still have a question as to whether there would be a place for the RH glove is penalty shuttles. The movement and flexibility would (in my opinion) be more than you can get, even by changing to the tube type RHP’s

9. halsnobordrgrl

halsnobordrgrl FHF Newbie

I actually used those TK gauntlet gloves up until about three years ago, when the goalkeeping coach at a club I was playing indoor at said that he wouldn't train me unless I wore solid foam blockers. He was nervous that I would get hurt, and probably rightfully so. They were the pair I bought when I first got my own kit, as they were similar to the ones I had played with in middle school, which were probably older than I was. I still keep them in my bag when I have extra space, as more than a few times I have run into keepers with poorly made blockers that fell apart during training. Not great, especially above the middle school level, but useful nonetheless.

10. Hellsbells

Hellsbells FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Mercian Znake (x2; pink and orange) Grays GX5000
    I had a pair of these. The left hand was rigid and the right had just enough bend in the fingers to hold my stick
    https://goo.gl/images/ammR9w

11. MunchkinGK

MunchkinGK FHF All Time Great

I used leather gauntlets at school and playing colts (really flimsy, moldy and smelly ones) until I stopped in 2000. Luckily it wasn’t a very high standard otherwise I would have broken fingers. When I started playing hockey again in 2011, it was all very, very weird with foam on both hands.

12. Scary001

Scary001 FHF Reserve Player

I stopped using these when a ball hit my right hand trapping it against the stick. The rubber thimbles in the ends of the fingers only provided minimal protection. Took glove off to find that the end of my finger had exploded. Lots of blood and broken bits of finger..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. RushMan

RushMan FHF All Time Great

That sounds like Lachlan Dreher, he was always adjusting his body armour. I think it was more of a habit rather than an extra pad.

In the early 80's the Dita gloves were the bee's knees.

Mick Mason likes this.
  14. mbray

mbray FHF Top Player

I had a full set of SCM kit in1986 or so - nicely made kit and the wedge kickers were good - then the more shaped ones were even better, except the leather tended to wear out on the shale pitches we played on. Cooper shorts, bought after a season without padded shorts with a permanent graze on my right hip, Cooper body and shoulders/arms, Cooper helmet. Bits of Karrimat added here and there....

15. Amey Khanolkar

Amey Khanolkar FHF Newbie

Attached are a few more images of goalkeepers from the early to mid 90s wearing the gauntlet style gloves. I have taken these mostly from screenshots from archived matches uploaded to Youtube.

1. Ronald Jansen (Netherlands, 1995): Dutch goalkeeper wearing a half-sleeve jersey and opting for no arm protection. He's wearing Brabo pads with Cooper gauntlets (I think?).

2. Lachlan Dreher (Australia, 1996): Aussie goalkeeper wearing Slazenger gauntlets and pads.

3. Christopher Reitz (Germany, 1996): He's wearing the smock with the Opel sponsorship - I remember even the German football team and the Bayern Munich FC were sponsored by Opel during this time. It looks like the right hand (stick) gauntlet has been modified to have a curved thumb. Perhaps this lead the way moving towards hand protectors.

4. Ashish Ballal (India, 1995): Wearing gauntlets, and a bright orange smock!

5. Canadian women's goalkeeper (1992 Olympics): Wearing Cooper gauntlets and Mercian pads.

6. German women's goalkeeper (1992 Olympics): Wearing TK gloves and pads.

7. Damon Diletti (Australia, 1994 World Cup): Wearing black colored gauntlets.

8. Unknown goalkeeper (perhaps Germany or team GB?) - wearing gauntlets.

9. Unknown goalkeeper from 1990 - wearing Cooper gauntlets.

Attached Files:

#35 Amey Khanolkar, Dec 11, 2017 at 8:18 AM
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 8:25 AM
    Snoody likes this.
  16. Inselaffen

No8 is Germany. that's Carsten Fischer on the post

17. RushMan

No 9 Ian Taylor ?

18. Inselaffen

don't think he wore Cooper Gaunlets

19. RushMan

Hmmm you might be right

The smock isn't the blue white and red Slazenger one either

20. mbray

mbray FHF Top Player

Not sure about some of those early foam pads....they look very thin!