Everyone's season so far (now 2014-15)

Discussion in 'England Hockey' started by FastForward24, Aug 26, 2014.

1. FastForward24

FastForward24 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Low 70, Beikou Pro 10 Indoor
    Anyone got pre-season games coming up this weekend?

First round of games for us. At home against Bowden 2s and Chapeltown 1s.

Very much looking forward to getting back on the pitch and turning around our fortunes from last year! Bring it on!

2. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Umpired my first pre-season match this evening. Ticking over nicely. All 3 goals 2nd half in my circle. All from PCs.

More serious stuff starts on Saturday.

3. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Having had one training session tonight (first time since January 2013) I seem to be on my jollies to Leek this weekend to play in a tournament.

I guess 18 months out has eradicated all the bad habits!

4. PlacidCasual

PlacidCasual FHF Top Player

We are 5 friendlies into the pre-season (I think I went mad booking so many) with our 6th this weekend, it's been a mixed bag so far but its potentially the most prepared we have ever been!

On the down side one of the lads suffered a fractured skull last night after taking a ball to the head

5. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

Oh dear, not good news! I hope he gets better soon with no lasting effects.

My wife panic booked a holiday when she realised the hockey season was coming so I could take her away before the season starts. Then I get the text telling me there is a friendly mini-tournement this weekend.

Gutted!

6. FastForward24

Stick/s:

5 Games into pre-season before the end of August!! Good effort!!

Which league to do you play in?

Ouch!! Is he recovering ok?

7. Jon Rew

Jon Rew FHF Top Player

Still playing intra-clubs every week, both mens and mixed. Its just about keeping the rust off, but sadly not the weight.

8. PlacidCasual

We only play in BSNWHL div 2 so as I said I went crazy with the bookings! All against higher league oppo, so might not get voted back into Fixtures Sec next year! :confused:

He seems fine, I have been in contact with him today and he is already making jokes so it all seems good!!

9. freebird

freebird FHF All Time Great

We've now had two training sessions. First game not until the 6th September.

The pitch at Adel HC is being relaid (finally) so the old sand-based is no more!! We ripped the pitch up ourselves in around 10 days (incl two days we couldn't do any work on it).
    We're training at the local Grammar School with all our friendlies being away from home.

Fingers crossed that the pitch will be ready the weekend before the season starts!!

FastForward24 likes this.
  10. FastForward24

Stick/s:
    I watched the time lapse of you ripping the old turf up - good effort!! What sort of surface are you replacing it with?

11. FastForward24

Stick/s:
    Great start to pre-season this weekend.

Overcame Bowden 2s in the first game 6-4 and very happy to score 4 of the 6 goals. 3-3 at half time and little bit leaky at the back in the first half, but improving greatly in the second half to only concede once and control possession.

Second game was a 3-1 win against a solid Chapeltown 1s side. We controlled the game throughout, but Chapeltown defended well and cut down our scoring opportunities. Our fitness levels made a big difference though and we were able to find space notching up the 3 goals. Scored another 2 in this one so personally a good day in the office for me.

Hoping to keep banging them in this season and making a difference up front - we'll see!!

12. PlacidCasual

:( planned opposition pulled out late! so it was a hockey-less weekend

13. freebird

freebird FHF All Time Great

Time lapse for anyone else who wants to view.

It should be similar to what York have really... The Sand-dressed type surface. Looking forward to it, and the weather's holding up so hopefully there aren't many delays!

Was coaching one of your lads at JRPC yesterday FF - Freddie... Talented kid.

14. FastForward24

Stick/s:
    Ahh good choice. We're very happy with the surface at Huntington School. Little bit sticky when dry, but very quick and smooth when wet (that's what she said! Ha!)

Yeh Freddie's a future star. Should feature for the 1s this year.

freebird likes this.
  15. PlacidCasual

First meaningful game of the season this Saturday with the 1st round of the Cheshire plate and in typical style we are under strength, potentially a game that will make me pull out the remaining bits of my hair!

16. FastForward24

Stick/s:
    These things are sent to try us!

Is it Crewe you're facing? Would love some feedback on them after the game ;-)

We're facing a stern test this weekend too, against Ben Rhydding 1s and Marton Furness 1s with a similarly under strength squad. Missing 3 starting XI midfielders and 2 starting XI defenders. Should give us chance to see how some of the youth players get on against a top side though.

17. PlacidCasual

Oh no we would be ripped apart by anyone playing the standard of Crewe, unfortunately for us we are the "higher league side" so lower oppo (agreed only one league) and in a cup tie with an under strength team I think I see a banana skin! :confused:

18. Meadway

Meadway FHF Newbie

Fast Forward: We play Crewe this weekend in the Cheshire Cup! I'm not around but will let you know what the boys tell me. I really don't know how it's going to go. We're only missing the odd player but still don't seem to have found our feet yet! You'll remember me from my City of York days when I picked up, looked after and returned your brother every week (3rd team captain). We played West Derby and Urmston last week. We were bobbins for the most part but only list by the odd goal in each game in the end. So, overall happy that we we've never played as bad but were still in touch come the end.

PlacidCasual: I missed our game against you too (I'm the coach). Seems like ages ago now. Hope our mutual friend is recovering.

19. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

Last weekend of pre-season friendlies couldn't have gone much worse. Game 1 on Saturday, 2 ambulance jobs mid game, including a GB player. Sunday, captain sustained a suspected broken thumb. Performances were good though!

20. murph

murph FHF All Time Great

Fuming with my performance. 2-2 draw playing seconds. Made worse that seems for non performance reasons I'm playing thirds next weekend.

The saving grace is one of our badgers teams were on after us, a very young side with two girls playing... Against a side fielding a lot of older teens... So I offered to play outfield. Had a great run around and it was good to be a part of pushing younger players to go out there with confidence.