Euro Hockey League 13/14 - teams announced and dates for R1

Discussion in 'General Club Tournaments & Competitions' started by Goalie64, Aug 5, 2013.

1. natoono

natoono FHF Top Player

Because there isn't a Welsh League?

For instance all of South Wales/Mid Wales clubs enter through the Davis Wood hockey league which is an English and Welsh combined structure. Only when you get to the lowest levels of hockey the league becomes Welsh only and thats pretty much down to geography of the teams (3s and 4s players don't want to be traveling down to Wiltshire every weekend) however even this is still part of the Davis Wood structure and if they get promoted from De Cymru 1 then they will be promoted into De Cymru & The Marches 2 which has both teams from England and Wales. They couldnt stay in a just Welsh league even if they wanted to (they could I guess refuse promotion.. but thats not the point I'm making..)

2. BB

BB FHF Top Player

Well if there isn't a Welsh league, then surely there shouldn't be a qualifying spot for a Welsh team?

3. wcbc123

wcbc123 FHF Regular Player

I would argue that the strengths of the Scottish and Welsh leagues wouldn't be that disparate.

You could have an 8 team league (much like Austria, Belarus, or Switzerland do) containing:

Cardiff & Met
    Whitchurch
    Cardiff Uni
    Swansea Uni
    Swansea City
    Northop Hall
    Brigend
    Wrexham

Considering the quality of Welsh hockey, that league would be about equivalent standard.

Whilst I understand the problems with most clubs being in South Wales with 1 or 2 or the north coast, it strikes me that the top 2 on that list are taking liberties and having the best of two worlds. They get national league standard hockey and an easy qualification route to europe.

They are not going to jump. It'll will take a decision from Eurohockey saying that they can only qualify through a Welsh league to puch them.

4. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I'm intrigued by this as the EHL regs are quite clear that:
    So the Welsh Champions must be entered in EHL. So, how did the Welsh HA determine that Cardiff were their champions, especially given that there was a play-off for the second Euro spot...? I'll see what I can find out.

5. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

So, as sort of promised, here's the reasoning behind Cardiff's qualification for the EHL from a Hockey Wales official (quoted with full permission):

6. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

Does it work the same way for the women's side of the game?
    (No knowledge of the way the game runs in Cymru).

7. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I totally agree with this!

8. RichN95

RichN95 FHF Newbie

No, that's completely different. Swansea play in the English National League while the teams in the South play in South Wales leagues. No idea what they do in the North.

9. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

HAhahah I know what's on your mind Nic! :D :D :D
    Yes - 32 teams in groups of 4 would be great - 4 initial tournaments with 2 groups in each - a total of 12 matches are totally fine for 3 days tournaments. They should be hosted in properly prepared stadiums across those smaller hockey nations so they can extract the best possible results - seeing their teams playing against the top players.

After that it would be 16 teams in the knockout stage (as now) and the tournament could proceed with no further revisions of numbers of venues, etc.

About the women's CCC got pretty good internet media coverage this year it would be great to see more development this way also. Before FIH makes hockey played by 3 players per team....

10. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

Wales jumped up rankings thanks to their #1 team winning the trophy, playing against 2 or 3best teams from the countries who had 1/2 teams in EHL. So despite Harvey making it as far as 2 of the English teams, they lost a load of points to Wales and now have no teams in EHL this year.