Euro Hockey League 13/14 - teams announced and dates for R1

Discussion in 'General Club Tournaments & Competitions' started by Goalie64, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

Here's the link to the FIH story : http://www.fih.ch/en/news-4647-euro-hockey-league-confirms-2013-14-line

Venues TBC in the next few weeks.
    First Welsh club comes in, but we lose any representative from Ireland.
    1.1 : 11 - 13th Oct
    1.2 : 25 - 27th Oct

Netherlands: HC Rotterdam, MHC Oranje Zwart, SV Kampong
    Germany: Rot-Weiss Köln, Uhlenhorst Mülheim, Harvestehuder THCBelgium: Waterloo Ducks, Racing Club de Bruxelles, KHC DragonsEngland: Beeston HC, Surbiton HC, Reading HC​

Spain: RC Polo de Barcelona, Club de Campo de Madrid
    Russia: Dinamo Kazan, Dinamo ElektrostalPoland: WKS Grunwald Poznan, AZS Politechnika PoznanskaFrance: St Germain HC, Lille MHC​

Scotland: Glynhill Kelburne
    Austria: SV ArminenBelarus: SK Stroitel BrestWales: Cardiff & Met​

2. BB

BB FHF Top Player

I think it's a shame that Bloemendaal won't be involved, especially as they are holders.

Great for Cardiff to get there, but predict they won't last very long!!

3. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

As long as Garvey did this year - reaching 2nd round is as far as most top English teams get? Whether they get through round 1 is most likely to come down to avoiding the "groups of death" that include 2 trams from the top 5 nations.

4. wcbc123

wcbc123 FHF Regular Player

Agree that the holders should be reserved a place the following season, but it has happened before with Uhlenhorster not qualifying last year and HGC not being able to defend their title the year before that.

I think Cardiff's chances of getting out the groups is pretty low but it depends on their group.

The 24 teams are split into three pots and one team from each pot makes up a pool.

Pot A: (National champs) Rotterdam (A) , Rot Weiss (B), Waterloo Ducks (C), Beeston (D), Polo Club (E), Dinamo Kazan (F), St Germain (G), Grunwald Poznan (H)
    Pot B: (2nd & 3rd of the top 4) Oranje Zwart, Kampong, Mulheim, Harvestehuder, Racing, Dragons, Surbiton, Reading
    Pot C: (the rest) Kelburne, SV Arminen, Stroitel Brest, Cardiff, Club de Campo, Dinamo Elektrostal, Lille, Politeknica

So for Cardiff to progress (or Kelburne for that matter) they are hoping to end up in Pools F, G or H and even then those teams are no pushover.

The really tough group is going to be the one that Club de Campo end up in though!

5. Goalie64

Have to say I'm not a fan of letting the holders qualify automatically.

If you did let them in, at whose expense would this be?

The lowest ranked qualifier from the same country (so Kampong)?
    The lowest ranked qualifier overall (so I assume Cardiff)?
    Or some kind of 2 or 3 way playoff?

6. wcbc123

I'd say it's simply taken off that nation's quota.

It's the same as what happens in the Champions League. I think it was two seasons back when Tottenham had to play Europa League football after Chelsea won it the season before.

It is a bit harsh on whoever misses out (especially with no secondary competition) but I think it's preferrable to the holders not being able to defend their title as has been the case the last three years.

7. BB

BB FHF Top Player

Should Cardiff be allowed to achieve entry through a separate nation (Wales), when they play in the English National League system (where they narrowly missed out in the promotion playoffs at the end of last season, having won Conference West). Say Cardiff had gone up to the Prem for this season, you would then have 4 teams from the English Premier League in the EHL - is that fair?

8. Goalie64

With the Champions League (if I remember correctly) I believe that the organisers simply did not contemplate the holders not managing to qualify automatically, hence the issues in 2005/6 when Liverpool (who had won the title in Istambul) only finished 5th in the Premier League, and so were "let in" by playing in the 1st and 2nd qualifying rounds, so allowing 5 English teams into the competition for that year only.
    In the 3rd qualifier they joined 2 other English teams (Man Utd and Everton).
    Had Liverpool been allowed in at the expense of the team who finished 4th in the league (Everton) I think it safe to say there would have been a bit of a fuss.

Rules were changed for the next year so the CL winner would take the place of the team finishing 4th in the premiership.

If I have it right with the EHL, for the first 3 years the winners qualified, and for the next 3 they didn't.
    Is it that the relevant leagues are levelling up or does competing in the EHL have a detrimental effect on league performance?

9. D-Fence

D-Fence FHF Regular Player

In Germany are 4-6 Teams fighting for the top 3 places in the moment quite close. I don´t think that competing in EHL has a bad effect on the performance in the home league. I think Uhlenhorster HC had to struggle with loosing some important Players, but with getting back Mo Fürste, Oliver Korn and adding J.P. Rabente ( all Olympic Champions) for this season, Uhlenhorster HC will be back in EHL next Season.

10. wcbc123

Venues and pools to be announced next week it seems.

11. ironman

ironman FHF Top Player

Fully agree that Cardiff shouldn't qualify if they choose to play in the MHL. If teams want to take a qualification spot via the Welsh route they should remain in Welsh leagues.

What would happen if Cardiff reached the MHL Prem and then went on to gain one of qualifying spots through the MHL playoffs. Would the 4th placed team from MHL take the other English EHL spot or would the team behind Cardiff in Wales take the Welsh spot?

12. RichN95

RichN95 FHF Newbie

If that scenario happened then Cardiff would take the Welsh spot - even if it was in the Trophy. English clubs would be uneffected. They would still get their three spots. It would only change if Cardiff resigned from Welsh Hockey and joined English Hockey - something that's not going to happen.

And Wales do play in the Welsh league - it's the same as the English league - the two are combined. They always have been. Teams represent their federation, not their league.

13. ironman

ironman FHF Top Player

So how do Cardiff qualify? By being the highest ranked Welsh team in the league system?

14. RichN95

RichN95 FHF Newbie

That was last season's system. Top finisher in the league system gets the no.1 spot, then there's a play-off for the no.2 slot.

It changes frequently though. I think it's changing again next year.

15. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

I think it's time for expansion of the league.

8 more teams from the current Trophy won't affect bad on the early stage of the tournament and we'll see the geographical reach of the league is increased by far (teams from SWI, AUT, UKR, POL, ITA and even CZE should be more frequent members of the league).

Obviously we'll see more results like 10-1 but it would be great experience for all teams in those countries to play against the top players of our time.

Also I think it's time for such tournament (with smaller scale of course) for indoors. It would be great to be able to watch indoors with teams from GER, RUS, AUT, ENG, NED, etc with such multimedia coverage.

16. Goalie64

Would you want 3 initial rounds or bigger groups at 1.1 and 1.2

32 teams would suggest to me having 8 groups of 4 teams, with (presumably) 2 from each progressing to R2, to give 16 there as is the case at the moment.

Personally, I'd like to see equal competitions/prominence for the women's game before you look at expanding the EHL as it is at the moment.

17. wcbc123

Didn't they give this a go a few seasons back and then gave up on it due to lack of commercial appeal?

18. MKochar

MKochar FHF Legend

Cardiff should not qualify for Wales, as they play in the English League structure.
    Its a bit of a joke and one that should be rectified.

19. BB

BB FHF Top Player

It's the equivalent of Celtic playing in the premier league, but qualifying for the champions league through Scotland.

The Welsh teams in the premier league (Swansea and Cardiff now) can only qualify for Europe through the English competitions, so why can't Cardiff do the same thing in the hockey?

20. Goalie64