England Hockey: proposed national league restructuring

Discussion in 'England' started by Willowsacorns, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Those numbers aren't far from my earlier post, which was also from the national (England) perspective:
    In the decade before 2013 course numbers were 2000 to 2200 per year, and from my contacts with EH at the time, assessments also consistent around 700 to 800 per year - almost 40%, not 20%. Whatever... there was a hole in the umpire pipeline. Maybe it spilled just 1000 to 2000 potential umpires, and 3000 to 4000 was exaggerating.

Back on topic: I guess it's going to happen. Maybe I'll be drawn into it: participating at a notionally higher level, but with the same teams, playing much the same standards of hockey. As for paying gate money and TV subs to be 'entertained', I'm not a fan. That's all.

#41 Diligent, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Ravennghorde likes this.
  2. wcbc123

wcbc123 FHF Regular Player

Will actually if you read the proposal in full, yes. (On the condition, of course, your club makes a good go of it)

"robustly run clubs with paid employees ensuring consistent progress" [page 3]

3. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

Wouldn't do it as a paid job. It's a HOBBY.

Feel sorry for the hundreds of clubs that will be excluded. Dream of reaching conference or prem? We don't want you, you're not the 'right' kind of club.

Never been a fan of the super club idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DLW

DLW FHF Newbie

I don't like the idea that EH mandates the 'type' of club either, but surely, this is a protection against a possible future scenario where people with deep pockets create single sex professional clubs, with no commitment to juniors etc., and buying in its players from 'normal' clubs that produced them with hard work. And while you can argue that SOME of that is already happening, we don't have this type of 'breakaway' club yet. On balance, it seems a good opportunity for EH to put its foot down on behalf of good clubs, to make sure this doesn't happen.

JBarron24 likes this.
  5. Jay Be Are

Jay Be Are FHF Starter

Ultra confusing. No idea when leagues would be finalised at the end of the season, half season, pre-playoffs?
    Player movement encouraged, not good for clubs that rely on regular home grown 16/17 year olds 9before losing them to to Uni), more talented youngsters encouraged to go elsewhere, making current National League clubs in a position to get stronger weakening local competition.
    What happens to a club like Durham Uni? What if they can't enter an U14 Boys side to an EHB competition? Not allowed in Top 24 (which they would be). Do they merge with a local club...who currently are about Durham Uni 4th team level?
    This is a bit of a strange one!

RenneRs, Craig Boyne and Ravennghorde like this.
  6. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

No idea what will happen but the irony is that Durham uni do a lot of work with local juniors and players already. Forcing clubs to merge to fit a criteria simply makes no sense at all. Same goes for join gender clubs, as long as there are other clubs in the area offering hockey to the other gender then why must they be joint?

It would make more sense if they put out some guidelines saying how they would like clubs to be i.e strong junior sections, mixed gender, promoting young talent etc. Enforcing it on clubs is just going to cause problems, and thats before you get to the actual league format. Looking at clubs with 18 year olds or uni teams with final year players, they compete in stage 1 of the league then leave (to uni or in to the real world) and the team is completely different in the finals stage vs the first part of the season.

Ravennghorde and Craig Boyne like this.
  7. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

The consultation smacks of a veneer of process over a fait accompi: circulated mainly among those set to benefit. What about market research: any attempt to get a handle on whether those who will pay for all this professionalism are actually inclined to shell out.

Craggsy, Ravennghorde and Craig Boyne like this.
  8. freebird

freebird FHF All Time Great

Would love to do my L2, but the hoops you have to jump through in the North put me off. Seems you either play/coach or umpire.

9. MKochar

MKochar FHF Legend

I shall be writing a small article for WHN on the restructure - and its interesting to see people's take on it in here.
    Most helpful.

10. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

Hi Mani, do you know the publication date? I'd be very interested in your take on it.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. MKochar

MKochar FHF Legend

It'll be towards the end of October.
    I just hope @ironman doesnt think its too out of touch....you know! :rolleyes:

Trig likes this.