Which gear? Elbow Pads for the Larger Armed Gentleman...

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by EllisMPark, Oct 11, 2016.

1. EllisMPark

EllisMPark FHF Newbie

I was wondering if any of the taller (or larger) keepers would have a recommendation for a lighter style of elbow pad.

I just bought OBO Cloud BA in XL with the arm guards, but my arms are too big for the arm guards. I have no problems playing dutch if I have to (we only have water grounds in this bit of Tasmania), but would prefer to have at least something on.

2. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

The Robo elbow guards only come in large - you might get on OK with them

I have them, and they're ok for me (5'8 female, pretty average build, disappointingly small guns...) but there's certainly a lot of room for more arm in there!

3. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

TK do a range of foamy pads which weigh next to nothing but give decent protection.
    May be worth a look.

4. EllisMPark

EllisMPark FHF Newbie

OBO size L is too small for me unfortunately (6'6" male, solid-ish) - I had similar issue with knee pads earlier in the year.

5. EllisMPark

EllisMPark FHF Newbie

How are TK with sizes? I had a look at their website but they don't have dimensions.
    My main problem is that I don't have any where to physically try out gear, and usually have to rely on buying stuff online.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

6. Krebsy

That I cannot answer. But if you are based in the UK you have a right to return any item bought online without reason within 28 days provided they are unused and not damaged. So there is no problem in trying them and sending them back.
    @GilmourSports @2Y Sport
    Any thoughts from you guys?

7. GK13

GK13 FHF Legend

Have you considered ice hockey elbows? They usually come in a large range of sizes and are very adjustable - particularly the three piece designs.

8. EllisMPark

EllisMPark FHF Newbie

@Krebsy
    I'm based in Australia. I often order things online from the UK because postage is often cheaper than from inside Australia, but returning things could be costly!
    @GK13
    I have considered them, but it's a similar problem regards trying them. I was hoping someone with a similar build had a specific recommendation.

9. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

I'm 6'3 and a big unit, I wear the XL robo BA, and I wear the robo elbows ok.

10. Krebsy

Ahh then perhaps not.
    Hockey Action in West Leederville, Perth is the only shop I know in Aus and if you are not in WA it is hard to get to.
    That said if you are, they have (had?) a really good facility for trying stuff out. You may be able to get someone similar where you are?

11. EllisMPark

EllisMPark FHF Newbie

@sanabas
    Is that the light elbows or the arm guards?
    @Krebsy
    Turns out I'll be near just hockey in Hobart for a couple of days, so at least I can try OBO to be sure.

12. LuluGoalie

LuluGoalie FHF Top Player

I don't have large arms at all but I'm pretty sure JH in Hobart has Obo elbows and arms and Mazon elbows and arms (except I don't think you can buy just arms, and the elbows are kinda small I think)

13. sanabas

Neither, I have the slightly older elbows.
    http://f-h-e.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38_127&products_id=1585
    http://www.obo.co.nz/ranges/robo/elbow-guard/features

You can buy the robo arms by themselves, they are in their system as a separate item to the chest guard. Not sure if you can get the mazon arms by themselves, and last I checked, the mazon elbows were out of stock. They also offer a lot less protection than the robos.

14. EllisMPark

EllisMPark FHF Newbie

Man, they look much better than the current arm guards.

15. EllisMPark

EllisMPark FHF Newbie

I'll be watching my mum play Masters tomorrow in Hobart so I'll have a gander then.

16. Noman0013

Noman0013 FHF Newbie

Yeah i have the same Robo Elbows in L as @sanabas, i have remove all the padding and they fit snuggly. Suggest having a look/asking keepers at masters if they have them, if you can try them on...

17. GilmourSports

GilmourSports FHF Legend

As you are in Australia, it may be worth seeing if you can find the OBO Robo "Lite" arm guards. These are the ones that come in single left and right.

You can view these here: http://www.gilmoursports.com/FHF/OBO/OBO-Elbo-Pair.jpg

We haven't been able to get any at all this season in the UK, but as you're a bit closer to NZ you might have more luck? From my memory they were a lot more adjustable than the standard arm guards - and obviously a fair bit lighter.

Failing that I would probably recommend looking at the lower end of the arm guards available - the ones with less coverage, and made of a softer material. While the protection won't be there, they will certainly allow for a larger arm - although some sections may be a bit tight.

18. LuluGoalie

LuluGoalie FHF Top Player

Yeah I meant the mazon arms you couldn't get separately, should have made that clearer

19. EllisMPark

EllisMPark FHF Newbie

Okay, elbow update. Just Hockey had some basic Mazon pads which I couldn't get past my wrists.
    The robo arm guards that match the BA were way Top tight.
    I tried the robo guards ala @sanabas and @Noman0013, however while I could get them on, the Velcro was about at its limit and they restricted my arm movement.
    They didn't have the robo lite guards but I think the dimensions are similar.
    I may have a chance to check out some ice hockey gear in a week or two - convenient cos I need a helmet too!
    Thanks for the help though, forums!

20. sanabas

For me, my elbows also have the velcro close to the limit, especially the slim piece in the middle of the elbow. They feel really restrictive if I'm just standing around in them, can't straighten arm properly for one. They feel much better when I'm actually trying to make saves with them, I hardly notice them then.

The one I gave up on was the robo/gryphon/anyone else's throat guards. They only just do up, and are uncomfortably tight. then the velcro pops off as soon as I start using my game voice.