EHL Final Four 16/17

Discussion in 'General Club Tournaments & Competitions' started by SPactionimages, Jun 1, 2017.

1. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Oh boy. I've really got better things to do on a Saturday night. Thread locked until I've sorted this out after the football.

OK. The thread has been unlocked. The debate about fan behaviour has been left here, but all the unnecessary personal stuff has been removed, either by deleting comments within posts or by moving entire posts to our trash bin. Apologies to those whose perfectly reasonable posts got chopped in the cross-fire. To have left them would have made the thread look really odd.

Folks, this is a forum for discussing all aspects of hockey. A certain degree of civility is required and expected. Personal insults and trash-talking are not acceptable. If you can't behave appropriately we will suspend / ban you.

#41 redumpire, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  2. Ravennghorde

Ravennghorde FHF All Time Great

Thanks. I shouldn't post when irritated after a few [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Normally a good plan...

Ravennghorde likes this.
  4. SPactionimages

SPactionimages FHF Top Player

Great weekend, great atmosphere, even if my legs are slightly red this morning.

What is certain is that the re-jig of the league season in England can't come soon enough. Wimbledon had played one competitive match in six weeks playing against teams who had just finished their domestic season. Who wants to be playing/watching outside in January & February freezing your ***** off when you could be playing/watching in the sun in April & May!

Going to be interesting to see how the EHL fits into the new calendar as well, it's too big and important to be left behind.

Ravennghorde, Craggsy and Theory like this.
  5. Theory

Theory FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Magnum Lolly
    Agreed, it was a fantastic weekend in spite of the results against Wimbledon. Their fans turned out in good numbers and made for a great atmosphere - I hope they're in the Final 4 next season!

The lack of match fitness probably wouldn't have changed the result against OR, although the scoreline could have been something better like 5-3 rather than 8-0. But for the match against Dragons it could have been decisive.

All that free Duvel beer was marvellous too.

6. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

This 100%. Playing outdoors in December January and February is just stupid. Play indoors, get better at that then go back outside when the weather is better. We don't play on cricket pitches anymore and don't need to finish the season before Easter anymore.

MKochar and BossFHockey like this.
  7. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Adidas DF24, Beikou Drag 90, This would be quite a list for all of them....
    I have argued this for years. Lovely warm indoor hockey or playing in the snow/rain/sleet/freezing/awful/terrible/english weather? seems straigh forward to me. Great weekend, I would have liked to see a bit of halftime post game analysis similar to football, etc but its a good start from BT sports, not cutting away to come back 2 minutes into a half/quarter. I would have liked a game to go to ET/PS to see how they coped. Sad about Dons results but I think a little bit of rust had set in compared to they previous round. Very strong final four and excellent games wish I could have been there

8. jamesev

jamesev FHF Top Player

Is the main difference being that the rest of Europe has an actual break until the Euros indoor competition in mid Feb has completed whereas the EH has 4 outdoor games scheduled between the new year and mid Feb. I also suspect that is is partly driven from the days when clubs used to share hockey pitches with cricket pitches and there was time needed to have the grounds ready for the cricket season.

9. Thorney

Thorney FHF Regular Player

The top divisions in Netherlands, Belgium and Germany also have more teams - 12, so 4 more matches to fit in.

Also I expect there has never been a break as football and rugby don't have a break either, so just following convention.
    There aren't really enough facilities to run much indoor for multiple teams/clubs, so if teams didn't play outdoor for January say it would really be something like a 6 week gap of no hockey for most folks (last 2 weeks of December tend to be non playing days now)