EHL 2012/13 KO16

Discussion in 'General Club Tournaments & Competitions' started by John, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

And red said :

14 Make thee an pitch of material acceptable to the FIH; lines shalt thou make on the pitch, and shalt paint it within and without with a nice colour that will show up well on TV.

15 And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of: The length of the pitch shall be 96.24 cubits, the breadth of it 48.12 cubits, and the height of it 0 cubits, for the pitch shall be flat.

16 Two goals shalt thou make for the pitch, and nets shall thou cause to be put in the goals; a staffed technical table shall thou place by the side of the pitch and two umpires will be appointed from on high.

(Sorry - best I could come up with)

peterwins likes this.
  2. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

And further and further off topic... :D

3. Cookie

Cookie FHF Legend

Do you normally measure the pitch....indoors or outdoor??! Or was there something particular about Burton?

4. Descartes

Descartes FHF All Time Great

Terribly sorry to rain on your parade Goalie64, but since a cubit is approximately 46cm (according to the Encyclopedia Britannica), the actual dimensions of the pitch would be 198.7 cubits by 120 cubits.

5. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

It was the first time we'd used the venue; the centre staff - who were all fantastically helpful, but knew nothing about indoor hockey - had marked the pitch themselves; the markings could have been changed if necessary as they were not permanent; and CardHappy just happened to be there to umpire a couple of warm up games. Given all that I asked him to check that all was in order and it pretty much was, subject to a couple of minor issues that we got resolved easily enough.

As for measuring at other venues (indoor and out): it depends. I always do a visual check of the pitch and ensure that the lines look OK. I'll check that the goals are in the centre of the backline and that the PC injection marks and PS spots are right relative to the goals (I usually pace this out, but I do carry a measuring tape just in case).

These checks aren't often necessary at the kind of grounds at which I'm lucky enough to be required to act as TD; but sometimes in countries where hockey is a less well-developed sport they are vital. A colleague of mine was TD at an indoor event in Turkey last year. When he turned up for the venue inspection he very quickly noticed that the Ds were actual semi-circles rather than the correct shape, so that required some over-night line re-marking. It's for things such as this that it is recommended that TDs do their venue inspections as early as possible!

6. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

The hall that the Singapore federation (in their wisdom) chose to hold the indoor league a year ago was so small that players on the half way line could get back quickly enough at PCs to prevent a shot.

7. John

John FHF Legend

Frankly I cannot believe we have allowed the Umpiring forum to spill out like this.

8. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

Descartes - I was using a cubit as equivalent to 45.72cm - and as red was talking about an indoor pitch, them's the dimensions I was basing my figures on.

9. Descartes

Descartes FHF All Time Great

Goalie64 fair enough, I just had the wrong sort of pitch... :oops:

10. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

This discussion of Umpiring outside of the designated area of the Umpiring Corner has been drawn to the attention of the UC moderator.

It has been suggested that the last 2 or 3 pages be moved to the UC. Having taken a look through... No thanks. We think it has as much relevance to EHL as it has to umpiring (that is: not a lot).

11. jaduong

jaduong FHF Legend

perhaps opening a sub forum for ecclesiastical umpiring might be in order.

12. Stretch

Stretch FHF Legend

I'm sure the conversation will move back to EHL when the finals start!

Honestly, who is a bit of friendly banter in between the two parts of the tournament really hurting? o_O

13. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

14. John

John FHF Legend

No! You don't understand, the nit picking and intense discussion over minutae is insidious and will spread and permeate like a virus through the forum if left unchecked ;)

Stretch likes this.
  15. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

yes it will. no it won't. yes it will. I think it's very dangerous. no it isn't. I think you need another term to use instead of nitpicking, as who really picks nits these days. (is led away slowly and carefully by nice men...)

usual programming will be resumed shortly.