EHL 2012/13 KO16

Discussion in 'General Club Tournaments & Competitions' started by John, Jan 29, 2013.

1. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

Reading well and truely thumped. Dragons goalie a bit dodgy, let in every single shot on goal he faced...

2. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I didn't see any of the hockey today as I was driving round the country on family visits, but I can absolutely guarantee that the UMs would not have told the umpires to umpire to a different brief today to the one that was given to the teams at the start of the weekend. They may have said that the umpires weren't quite applying the briefing as they had asked them to and requested them to tighten up in a couple of areas, but they wouldn't have changed the fundamental approach. That would be unfair on the teams and the umpires...

3. JoshRobbino

JoshRobbino FHF Top Player

I didn't get to see the German game, but with 4 greens 5 yellows and a red it seemed a fiesty? :p

4. jaduong

jaduong FHF Legend

the umpires are really vocal today. i like this.

5. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

Should have stuck with the head on my predictions.

For me, flick for Stockman lying on the ball though (making the ice hockey save and putting his glove on the ball).

DoD for Pinner? Not saying he hasn't made some cracking saves, but...

6. JoshRobbino

JoshRobbino FHF Top Player

Personally agreed with both these points!

7. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

4 out of 4 predictions right ...disappointed Ducks lost to Berliner (if they played 10 times, Ducks would win about 8/10 ...lost the one thaat mattered though!) as I think they would have (or could have!!) beaten Amsterdam.

Also disappointed to see its Dragons vs Koln in semi as that would have been the final for me if they are been separated in the draw.

Only saw first half of first game today, but that really has been 3/4 days of excellent entertainment.

How did Dan do in the Amsterdam game today?

8. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

Great game to finish! On way home now but great weekend much better than last years ko16!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

9. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

Craggsy - and drier than the Final Four 2 years ago!

10. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

Bit of snow but that was it! Nothing compared to the monsoon in wassanear!

11. John

John FHF Legend

They were pretty woefull from pitchside. Nothing happening once they got the ball into their midfield and due to the truly dire marking every time the dragons got the ball anywhere past the 25 it looked like they would score.

Have to say the Dragons fans were pretty good value. Chanting at the Reading guys in English to put the points home would have been more entertaining if I hadn't wanted Reading to win.

I would guess that any issues the Dragons goalie really had were down to boredom.

12. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

Side note when did taking a 16 become at 20 with people taking hit outs from the dotted line most of the time!

13. redumpire

FHF Moderator

When it was of no consequence because the team not taking the hit weren't pressing, at a guess?

14. John

John FHF Legend

Now you have made me get my Deegum on.

7.4 When the ball is played over the back-line and no goal is
    scored :
    a if played by an attacker, play is re-started with the ball
    up to 15 metres from and in line with where it crossed
    the back-

Think its tough to argue that a 30% gain shouldn't be called back in this instance. After all it is a rule.

15. jaduong

jaduong FHF Legend

oh noes. those umpires should be sacked! what a flagrant misdemeanour

16. redumpire

FHF Moderator

If the team taking the 15m hit disadvantages their opponents by taking it from 18m then, yes, they should be penalised. If their opponents are defending in a half-court press and are all 20+m away let it go.

17. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

Last game I played, we are pressing high as 1-0 down with 5mins to go. I'm at top of circle just outside the dashed line. Defender comes to take the hit out and near enough hits me with his follow through. THe umpire then gives another FHD, and up 10m. When pointed out we were all in legal positions, his very words were "I'm the umpire and I'll let the defence take the hit out anywhere I want"

Anybody remember ....Hamish????? ...at the London prepares games in May. Aussie pressing high, loud blow from umpire, Aussie refuses to back off any further, and umpire paces out 5m to clearly show Aussie forward was more than 5m back.

It's a simple rule, it should be applied appropriately, and if there are any forwards around the 23m line or thereabouts, an advantage is gained by taking it forward.

18. jaduong

jaduong FHF Legend

kind of echoing what redumpire is saying there...but i do sympathise with you about the ump and his obtuse behaviour.

19. John

John FHF Legend

I'm only being facetious really. I'm still sulking about a thread a couple of years back where I suggested that umpires who measured sticks were jobsworths. Red was not happy with this assessment and pointed out that umpires are required to apply the rules and in doing so were not in fact jobsworths. I recall biting my tongue about asking the umpire to measure the pitch to ensure that it was also compliant with the rules.

Or something like that anyway.

20. redumpire

FHF Moderator

wdyw - totally agree. If opponents are pressing then the hit should be taken from the 15m mark. If not, get on with it.

John - don't remember the conversation at all!! Can you point us to it?