EHL 2011/12 - KO 16 : 6th to 9th April 2012 : HC Rotterdam

Discussion in 'General Club Tournaments & Competitions' started by Goalie64, Nov 5, 2011.

1. cly1121989

cly1121989 FHF Newbie

thanks craggsy :)

2. Tongo

Tongo FHF Regular Player

Amsterdam H&BC announced as the host for the Final Four next month. In light of this award, what chance England will be awarded a round next year? Admittedly, facilities are probably lacking at most places but i'd have thought the rehoused Olympic arena would be in the running come Oct / Nov time.

3. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I think any of the 3 English clubs that have qualified for next year's EHL could host a round of the event with the right support from EHB. Beeston & Reading have experience of hosting major events and I'm sure EG would be able to do so.

I don't think the Olympic venue would work as it would be lacking in the right club environment that is such a big part of the EHL "experience". It would also make it difficult for club volunteers to play a full role in the event (it would be expesnive to drag all of (e.g.) Beeston's volunteer base down to the Olympic venue from Nottingham) and from my experience at EHL events you need a HUGE number of volunteers to make it work. Also, clubs have to pay to host the event and it's difficult to see how they'd recover their investment unless their bars and food stalls were taking cash from the spectators. That just wouldn't happen at a 'neutral' venue.

The other thing that would have to be considered is the additional costs that would be involved in bringing all the TV guys and their equipment over the channel. I know they've been down to Spain before, but that was before the recession hit...

4. G

G FHF All Time Great

Another issue at Highfields (home of Beeston) is the state of the pitch (it is now actually thread-bare in one of the goalmouths). The replacement fund is growing - albeit extremely slowly...

5. JoshRobbino

JoshRobbino FHF Top Player

They've (Or are currently) replaced the sand pitch, which used to be called 'The Beach' because it was just so sandy haha.

The thing is that both pitches desperately needed replacing, and with funding barely covering the cost of replacing the sand based pitch (Basically the cheaper one) I guess it will be a while before the water is resurfaced...

Also, the pitches are not owned by Beeston, or Players for that matter, since it is Highfields Sports Centre. So Beeston have to 'rent' the pitches everytime they play on them, which is even worse for the pitch fund.

6. G

G FHF All Time Great

Yep. New Sand is down - looked good yesterday. There are unofficial talks that Nottingham high school might be paying for a 3rd pitch - probably waterbased...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

7. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

That's very generous of my alma mater. Don't suppose they'd be willing to give my late granddad a retrospective reimbursement on the school fees he paid them on my behalf instead of wasting money on a water-based astro...? ;)

8. BB

BB FHF Top Player

When I was a fresher (3 seasons ago now), there were unofficial rumours that the University (UoN) would fund a 3rd pitch at Highfields that would be waterbased. Safe to say that never happened, and we're now instead replacing our pitch at University Park.

9. JoshRobbino

JoshRobbino FHF Top Player

There's still plans to build a third pitch at highfields, albeit after the resurfacing of the current water, and in many years to come. Rumour has it it'll be a sand, but personally I'm putting that one down as a rumour.

10. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

Never got chance to play in Nottingham. was still recovering from Knee surgery when I attended Nottingham Law School for my LPC.

11. G

G FHF All Time Great

There are always plenty of rumours! Also one saying that Nottingham hc are looking to relocate to highfields too! But that its being 'black balled' by the clubs there already (and not the hockey ones)...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2