dragflick training tips/exercises

Discussion in 'Training Tips & Coaching' started by supercrosser, Jan 23, 2008.

1. supercrosser

supercrosser FHF Starter

I know that their are a couple topics about dragflicks

but maybe it is handy since dragflick becomes more popular every day to get a topic that will summarize tips to improve your dragflick

like tips that I got from other coaches are these:

-use a heavier ball

- dry-pratice the drag with an stick with weights on it

these are tips to improve the power behind the drag.

then for people who move their hands during the dragflick, tape the index finger of your right hand to the stick. I know it sounds silly but it works efficiently.

so if somebody has more tips or exercises to improve everbody's dragflick, speak up

2. glover

glover FHF All Time Great

i find that you if you

think about 100000% power before draging (as hard as possible)

you will fluff it and push it down the middle of the goal and look silly

just dont think about power just placement, then power will come from practise

remember the bow hard all the hard work so you dont have too!

3. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

Work out your run up and if you can put some tape marks on the floor at home so you can practice your footwork. Key to power is a smooth run up and ball pick up. Once you have that sorted you can look at over rotation and other things that will give you more power.

4. spinster

spinster FHF Starter

try the following:

Run up - try taping footmarks on the floor - most important steps are the last time your left foot lands behind the ball and the cross step hop so your right foot gets in front of the ball. At full speed you should be able to get your right foot over 2 ft in front of the ball when you pick the ball up.

Hip Rotation - your hips should rotate 180 degrees during your pickup, drag and release. if you are not doing this you are not getting full power.

Head down - dont worry about seeing where the ball goes. When you are flicking well you will know because it feels different.

In terms of coaching aids - Heavy Balls (grays makes a heavy dimple ball) are useful.
    If you are working on aim try taking some string and tying it to a waterbottle in the goal at where you want to aim at. place the other end of the string at the top of the circle so you have target lines to goal.

when I worked with the US team we made a stick that could be attached to a rowing machine so you could practice dragging with some resistance.

Try videoing yourself and watching it back on TV in slow mo - for inexpensive video analysis buy a tivo box off ebay and a small tv. plug the camera into the tivo box and the tivo into the tv. set the tivo on a 10 sec delay so you can flick and then watch etc.

if you need more info please email me at info@dragflicking.com

thanks

andy

BossFHockey likes this.
  5. supercrosser

supercrosser FHF Starter

Thank you very much andy that helps alot!!

and expect to get a email in your inbox in a couple of days, I now need to get back to studying.

yeah student life is not always that easy

6. keely

keely FHF Legend

Fantastic tips, spinster. Thanks for sharing them! :)

7. RussellButt

RussellButt FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Back at the Commonwealths in 2002, Hayden Shaw did drag flick warm-ups from the top of the 'd', in a static position and...
    ...on one knee!!!

Now, I can GUARANTEE you, that when you can still flick into the top corner like this, you are pretty much all the way there technique-wise. This is a technique which certainly seperates the wheat from the chaff - when I first started this, just getting it into the goal felt like an achievement, let alone doing it with any sort of pace!! :rolleyes:

RE: Spinster's tips, those are great for straight forward drags with no 'carry'. I studied Abbas' foot patterns a long time ago and his left foot placement was always identical in relation to the ball (a luxury not all of us have due to less quality injections and stops).
    I am now trying to work on the more upright technique that carries the ball into the 'd' before releasing (Think: Ashley Jackson, Jorge Lombi, Kwan Browne) and have found this really hard to do, so if anyone has any helpful tips on this one...

[EDIT] ...that said, I have just found one major difference between the two that I had been doing wrong.

8. phrack

phrack FHF Top Player

With my full run up and all that, I usually release about 1.5m+ into the circle. My left foot is placed almost on the top of the circle, pointing at the ball, then I cross over in front with a little skip type step. During the skip step I pick the ball up in an upright position and begin to drag in, then when the ball gets to my right foot I begin to get low, getting my left foot as far as practical towards the goal to get maximum drive.

Don't know if that made any sense but that's how I get a good drag into the circle. At the moment my injector and trapper aren't very accurate, so I have to come in off a shortened run up which means I get less of a drag in (because i need momentum). I can flick as about as fast, bit more accurate but because i'm flicking from further back it's not quite as effective.

9. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

@ Andy,

I tried sending you an email, but it bounced.
    Do you read your PM's or is there any other way I can contact you?

10. spinster

spinster FHF Starter

pm's are good

11. OAP

OAP Guest

Hi if you go to the Dutch National Web site they have CD,s for sale one of which deals with the drag flick, it was about 20 euro to get. I would give you the exact name but on of my players has borrowed it and they are about 300 miles away so not exactly handy. Hope this helps.

OAP

12. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

Andy,
    Did you read my PM? What about it?

13. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

Atm I have two techniques, one that works and is good at getting a flick on target, and the other that is better but I haven't learnt the footwork for. It is all technique a smooth action will give you power, get lower and just got through the action.

The footwork im working on is, right foot about 40cm from top of the d left foot just over the line, right foot inside that say 10 cm then a big stride. Whilst doing the cross over you ahve to pick the ball up as well :eek: But everything works with practice.

14. keely

keely FHF Legend

Can you explain that again but more elaborately, Craggsy? I don't understand the sequence of footwork.

15. phrack

phrack FHF Top Player

http://www.twixster.orcon.net.nz/df.png
    red is left foot, right is blue foot. this is my shortened run up. black is the dot, yellow the ball.

I start left foot forward of my right. step forward with the right. step with the left, toes pointing at the ball, about in line with the ball. short cross over step with the right (i do it in front) just into the circle.Pick up the ball, then start the big stride with the left, this is where i get low, and end with the toes pointing towards the target.

Think this is the same sort of footwork as craggsy said. I think where my left foot is just out of the circle, his is inside the circle.

16. RussellButt

RussellButt FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

If you watch Abbas flick, he plants his left foot literally inches away from the ball - He doesn't have the big gap indicated in Phrack's graphic, the right foot never passes between the left foot and the ball.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Avr6IdsFnE
    That's not to say Phrack's technique or diagram is incorrect, as I will explain, and everyone adapts their own footwork pattern.
    I found Abbas' left foot plant to be the most efficient to force you into getting low to execute the drag.

By contrast, for the 'carrying' style of drag that takes the ball further into the 'd' (Jackson, Lombi), plant the right foot next to ball, stride in with the left (this would be much closer to what Phrack is doing). Then the next step is the crossover step, which occurs a full stride further into the d as a result of this foot planting. This is a much harder variation to use, but allows much more deception with the later release and the chance, once you perfect it, to adjust the release to wherever the gk isn't.

17. phrack

phrack FHF Top Player

You are right, the gap indicated on my diagram is too far. I just did a few and my left foot is about 1ft away and right next to or slightly in front of the ball.

I watched that clip and it seems the main difference between what I was trying to describe and Abbas' technique is I crossover in front, and he goes behind, and that's why his left foot is placed a lot closer to the ball.

18. keely

keely FHF Legend

Is that common, crossing over in front? To be honest, I've never seen it that I can remember, domestically or otherwise.

19. AgusLla29

AgusLla29 FHF Newbie

It is common to cross over in the front, but, the reason for the cross over in the back is because it empowers the twist of the hip, which adds more strength to your dragflick

20. toonboon

toonboon FHF Reserve Player

Interesting discussion still. Even though it's almost ten years old. Shows how there's still so much to question and learn about the techniques!

Regarding the crossover, here in the Netherlands the front crossover is definitely not common. I've never seen it in a match outside of Peillat when he played for HGC over here.