Distance covered per game?

Discussion in '(Archived) Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Wilster, May 28, 2008.

1. Wilster

Wilster FHF Regular Player

Watching all the champs league stuff this year on ITV and saw the distance covered stats they had for players, was wandering if anyone had ideas on how far hockey players do per game?

2. keely

keely FHF Legend

The Loughborough University hockey program has been conducting studies where their players wear GPS units that monitor their exact movements throughout the entire 70 minute match - not only the distances covered but their pace over all of those distances. The ENG and GB teams have also been collecting this data in some of their friendlies. Unfortunately I didn't ever hear what those numbers were - presumably because part of the study is to determine which players are running the most, what positions require precisely what kind of fitness - and that varies immensely across the team.

As an umpire, I've worn a Nike+ iPod sport kit (just running my Nano without music or headphones, of course!!!) to get a gauge on how much I run for my health care providers who are trying to get a handle on what stress I'm putting on my knees.

During National League Premier games, I've apparently run approximately 7km. As the level lowers, I've run less than that, down to 3.75km for a high school game (hmm.... a bit lazy?). I've never measured my distance in an international game but I expect it would be a bit higher than for Prem.

I've also tried to measure my distance in the same way playing club hockey, and the numbers are far lower. I am a sweeper or centre back who injects on PCs. Our matches are only 60 min. here in Calgary and on the two occasions I measured it was between 5.25 and 5.5km.

3. John

John FHF Legend

I must manage at most 500 yards lol

4. DutchGoalie18

DutchGoalie18 FHF Regular Player

Does that include walking to the dug-outs and the other side? lol

5. John

John FHF Legend

no I strike Penalty corners and its abotu a 100 yard round trip! lol

6. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

I would love some figures on this, trying to explain to my mates who play footy that hockey has a lot more running than footy. I have a pedometer but its not exactly accurate and you can't really wear that playing. I'm guessing I would run around 8km maybe more or less I'm not sure.

7. mspice61

mspice61 FHF Regular Player

ill ask my bro on this... think his uni course did some testing of the GPS stuff for GB hockey... will return with more info

8. Bulsara

Bulsara FHF Regular Player

I have worn a pedometer, which I know is not that accurate during games which I have umpired in and also played in. The results were really quite interesting but as I was a GK not really comparable. My results would back up what Keely said about distances in that I averaged just over 7km a game for a National game and just under 8km per game for internationals as an umpire.

At a seminar I was involved with recently the more interesting statistic was that an umpire was only static for about 5% of a game, ran at less than 50% intensity for about 60% of the game, between 50 and 75% intensity for 30% of the game and over 75% intensity for about 5% of the game. This was done using heart rate monitors on selected umpires over a whole season. What that shows is that we are constantly on the move but often at a low intensity and this sort of information should structure the type of training we, as umpires, do.

It also goes to show that umpires need to be as fit as players and that we don't stand about during a game doing nothing!!!

9. Wilster

im getting the nike sports kit (sensor and ipod connection), will use it during summer training, but would be interested to see other peoples distances during the season!! of course, helps if its same position as me (Center mid) to give a direct comparison between distance depending on level! might show if im being lazy or not ;)

one question for keely, what battery life do you get out of it? i read reviews its quite shoddy..?

10. keely

keely FHF Legend

No problems with battery life here. I make sure when I'm recording a game that I turn off the music and the back-lighting, and then use the hold button to make sure I don't accidentally pause the "workout" before the half-time or end-time whistle. When I'm umpiring I put my Nano down a sock or leave it in my card pocket in my skirt if it's secure enough (wearing an armband just doesn't look right, no need to draw attention to one's crazy use of technology!) but I use an armband while playing.

Before I stopped running on land as a workout, I really enjoyed using the Nike+ to track my runs as well. The whole sensor thing does work for running in water (which is what I'm limited to now to save my knees as much as possible), I'm afraid!

11. garli

garli FHF Staff

I love my nike sport kit. If only my nano hadn't decided to go bad on me I'd still be all over it. (Might be time for a new one)

Did you calibrate it on turf before you tried it? Nike recommends that for different surfaces.

12. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

I would like the kit, but as I don't like nike trainers, or I-Pods so i'm a bit screwed on that front.

13. garli

garli FHF Staff

I heart ipods, and you so don't need nike trainers. You can get one of those little 'key pockets' that laces into your...laces. They perfectly fit the nike accelerometer.

14. leaping badger

leaping badger FHF Regular Player

what exactly are these devices? i've seen shoes in a JJB shop with something about a nano and was like double you tee eff mate.

15. RussellButt

RussellButt FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Sorry to jump back on topic - Lisa Wooding I think recently covered 10 or 11km in a recent England international, so really no difference between football and hockey players.

16. Wilster

ahh nice ragy, where you get that stat from? not trying to say you're lying, just wandering if I can delve into it a bit more :)

on the nike topic http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/ is where you can check it out, if not check play.com and just search nike

17. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

I would have to buy an ipod whihc is £120 i'm not willing to spend saying as my zen v is suiting me fine for now.

Just a point you would need a very accurate GPS system to measure how far you run, as most the off the shelf models are only accurate to around 10m.

18. Wilster

19. keely

keely FHF Legend

I have no idea what any of that meant LB, but just go back to this post where I conveniently hyperlinked the Nike+ website where all the product information is.

You're right Wilster, the new Nike Sportband means you don't need an iPod in order to record your workouts and upload them to the Nike+ website.

20. Number13

Number13 FHF Regular Player

I was on the BBC live update site a few weeks ago following a Chelski game. Joe Cole ran 6km in the first half. So adjusting for a 35min half from a 45min half that's 4.67km. Also, adjusting equally for the difference in pitch size (call it 120yds vs. 100yds. (it doesn't matter if it's in yard because I just need the percentage diff.)) that's 3.9km on a hockey pitch in one half. I'd reckon that a MF player might run 7-8km in a game then. Thoughts?