Discipline - on and off the Field of Play.

Discussion in 'Game Management & Communication' started by controller, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Hockeyjon

Hockeyjon FHF Regular Player

Foozbear
    I can relate to your style of umpiring. I think the majority of players across the spectrum of standards prefer an umpire who is approachable.
    In saying that there is a time in a game when the soft skills have to be put to one side and the dictitorial dynamic umpire in you has to come to the fore.
    In the incident you discribe you have exhausted all avenues to determine what the decision should be, perhaps this is one time when you have just got to sell a decision to players, based on what your observations are of the particular incident in question. I would contend that if you have not seen the attack touch the ball in the circle because of the position of you in relation to the play and the goalkeeper don't give the goal. You have just got to determine what you can do differantly next time to avoid being exposed like that again. (Not easy I know but self analysis is a huge facet of umpiring).
    I am wondering if your pre match chat with both captains prior to this particular game had the desired effect, because it may be a contributing factor in the 'confusion' that seemed to ensue at this incident.

2. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

well the warnings were more towards the lifted sticks near players heads...following through on the hits and silly play with the stick.

I had not had ANY trouble and in fact over the last 2 moths of umpiring ONE team they had changed from mouthy kids to very disiplined players...
    The other team I hadnt seen since last season and I didnt expect that incident, So It never occured to me to bring it up.

To the other responses....

On positioning Yup...your correct that maybe a different position could have been a good idea...and looking at it I would need to be closer to the play and post for me to see the play OR from closer to the top of the circle. Something to keep in mind for next time.

as for being considered coaching....it cant be considered coaching if you say oh nice run....good tackle...nice save.....

You can even have a mini commentary of the game (as I have witnessed one umpire doing) EVERYTHING is talked about....tackles made...good tackle...no problems...play advantage....play, you got it( thats my latest one)...another one im using is, Good 5 meteres guys....one more step (colour), good for (colour), all teams 5....anything to make you seem less the policeman....

This is ONE thing I am really trying to do this year...is break the policeman.

3. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

"...as for being considered coaching....it cant be considered coaching if you say oh nice run....good tackle...nice save....."

I assure you that it can be and was, FB ....albeit incorrectly :(

4. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

That's just ridiculous!

5. Resslys Agent

Resslys Agent FHF Starter

Where does discipline start and end?
    After my match on Saturday my colleague and home side had left, I was sitting with the away side. Thet were doing their DoD and MoM.
    Various names were mentioned then one came out

'Umpire ******, absolute rubbish'
    Now I know who wrote that comment but what can be done about it? After all these comments are anonymous!

I've had plenty of problems with the player in question before and although I try to start each game afresh, we all know some teams or players don't!

I think he should be banned by his club for the good of the game for a considerable time. Sad thing is his son is playing now and it's obviously rubbed off on him!

Good thing is revenge will be sweet and I've got his side in two weeks time, so I hope he reads this and doesn't play!

So it's the clubs and officials (chairman, secretary, etc.) who should responsible for discipline within their club!

6. Hockeyjon

Hockeyjon FHF Regular Player

Resslys Agent
    I implore you to continue to rise above this. Posts like yours only help polerize players perceptions that we go onto the pitch with a hidden agenda to 'get' players who have given us a hard time.
    I know its difficult but I think as a group the great majority of us go onto the pitch and just umpire what is in front of you 'for better or worse'.
    The player who makes vocal opinion like that should be made to umpire himself next time you come across him ask him if he ever has?
    Can you engage with him to encourage constructive rather than destructive feedback, as that is more likley to get umpires to alter their style.

7. Resslys Agent

Resslys Agent FHF Starter

He has never had a constructive comment to make ever and is never willing to chat in the bar afterwards.
    As I said, I go into the games with a clean slate for almost every team and players but hearing comments in the bar like that certainly don't help this players case!

8. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

Resslys.....let me asure you that your person is not the only one out there.

In fact the same player HAS been more and more aggressive in his dissent of me with each game I umpire.

It seems the rest of his team are able to abide by the rules of hockey and stay on the field yet HE cant....does the trouble lie with me? I dont think so.

Im going to presume the guy is smart....he will get it eventually...If I call a game the EXACT same way each time it also makes it easier for these people to figure it out.

I recieved a letter from a player that was involved in a game I recently umpired....and its things like this that REALLY make me think Im doing a good job. (im going to post it for those to see that their are players that DO like your umpiring BUT wont neccesarily do anything about it.)