Disallowed Field Hockey Goals

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Fieldhockeytube (FHT), Nov 30, 2017.

1. Fieldhockeytube (FHT)

Fieldhockeytube (FHT) FHF Starter

We have decided to put this thread back up again as this video caused some controversy about whether or not some of the goals should have been disallowed or not. We have also changed the name to something that is more suited for a video like this. We are not saying in any means that the umpires are wrong in any way. We just made this video to show a few examples of when a goal is disallowed. Sometimes it is easy to understand why the goal is disallowed like for example, when the player hits the first shot above the black board, or a player shield on of the runners, while other are a bit harder to understand.

We are open for criticism about whether the goals should have been allowed or disallowed and criticism on our video and what we can do better next time to improve our videos and channel.

Disallowed Field Hockey Goals

We hope that you will enjoy the video and check our channel out for more awesome field hockey videos.

Beardymanbristol and Nij like this.
  2. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Moderator note: Everyone play nicely, please, or Daddy will delete the thread.

Pippinn likes this.
  3. Mac

Mac FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity; Adidas HS1 XXtreme; Adidas TT10
    I think this is where the internet requires me to say something like "In b4 loc!!!1!"

4. Gingerbread

Gingerbread FHF All Time Great

The clip still says worst in the screen text though, could do with being edited

5. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

Let's acknowledge a good effort to learn and reframe the discussion. Second thoughts led to a much improved presentation. well done.

6. Krebsy

Krebsy FHF All Time Great

The only one I cannot see enough to agree with is the first. There was no replay available presumably and it all happened rather fast.

The penultimate (I think) goal with the drone taking the images should have been stopped a long time before it got to the goal as the attacking player (closest to the drone) appears to enter the D before the injection.

The GB-NZ women game, I guess there is an argument as to whether or not it is a hit, it seemed to me to be a slap and as such a hit, so I can see why it was disallowed for being too high and it was certainly the first attempt at goal.

The ARG-USA game I particularly enjoyed as that is the sort of blatant obstruction (cheating) that seldom gets seen and to see it come a cropper makes the GK in me smile.
    (Bee in my bonnet declaration: goal awarded against me last week after player challenged me for the ball by grabbing my helmet by the grille, yanking it off my head and pushing me to the ground by my face, umpire never saw anything)

My only criticism on your video is that it is unclear by the title whether you think think that the disallowing is the worst in the world, or the actions by the players are the worst. The title is very "social media" insofar as it contains a lovely hyperbole but no actual information.
    Otherwise it's a fairly interesting selection of videos in my opinion. But the engineer in me does baulk at saying they are the worlds greatest examples of whatever it was you were trying to exhibit, when you clearly have no empirical basis for your claims.

7. scmods

scmods FHF Regular Player

I remember that one. The ball got hit across about chest high to Dwyer and two defenders. Dwyer being Dwyer just controlled it out of the air over his head and into the net, but didn't really argue that much when it (the original cross hit) was pulled up as dangerous. Nobody really disagreed with the decision, it was more a case of disappointment that such an amazing bit of skill couldn't count!

As for the rest, I can see why they were all disallowed, no problem with any of them really, though in some I also would be quite happy with the decision if the goal had been given.

The only one I couldn't figure out what happened was the last one, but I think that might be because I was so distracted wondering how on earth you could play or umpire on a ground that appears to be marked for about 47 different sports.

8. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

It didn't leave the circle.

4 out of 7 would have been terrible decisions to award the goal, as they were all clearly a case of the first shot being too high.

Jamie Dwyer's effort, and the US goal overturned on review for obstruction, are the only two that could have conceivably been allowed. One was an obvious set move to block the first runner, one was a tomahawk hit directly at two players, rising just over their heads. No problem calling those obstruction & dangerous.

9. scmods

Ah, OK. I don't think I ever quite worked out exactly where the circle was on that one.

Yep but I wouldn't be surprised to see one like that first slap hit one awarded.

On a related topic, here's one I awarded a couple of years ago:

Penalty corner goes out, trapped and brought into the D for a hit at goal. The runner gets out there and gets a stick in against the hit right in time, so you have the striker hitting the ball from one side and the runner's stick coming onto the ball from the other side at the same time with the result that the ball goes nowhere.

The runner's momentum takes him on out of the D and out of the way, and the striker steps in and hits the ball into the goal just above backboard height. I awarded a goal and when the team queried the height my ruling was that the initial blocked hit was the first shot even though the ball didn't go anywhere. The defending team were happy with that, and I'm quite comfortable that I got it right, but does anyone have a differing view?

10. sanabas

Field is marked for US football, so it's easy to see where 16 yards is. The circle is the red line.

11. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

Seen it happen a couple of times, and more usually the ball pops a half-metre in some odd direction, whereupon somebody will take a swing (either to score or to clear, and occasionally one of each).
    Unless you want to decide the blocked shot was going high, or was actually going to be a pass, it's a legitimate goal.

12. scmods

Some soccer markings on there too I think. I only watched the video once, and didn't get as far as working out what colour the hockey lines were (and of course didn't know that the ball not leaving the D was the important bit to watch for!)

13. scmods

It was an unusual one, in that the ball really did go absolutely nowhere and was left sitting stationary a few inches inside the line.

14. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

Off topic - but was the game ' 3 mins played on a a hockey-unfriendly 3g pitch (the one with all the lines on)? if so I can see what all the fuss is about!

15. sanabas

Fairly sure that's a US high school game, and the field is marked for gridiron (white), soccer (yellow) and hockey (red)

16. Ian P.

Ian P. FHF Newbie

I’m really 50/50 on the guy in the orange shirt. It looks to me like he tried a shot which didn’t come off, and thus his backhand shot was not the first shot at goal; that said, it is unclear and I wouldn’t like to get to the stage where players begin to take fake shots deliberately in order to carry out such a routine. On balance, I edge towards thinking it should probably have stood, but I can well see why it didn’t.