Dimples in Balls

Discussion in '(Archived) Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Ironbruchew, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Ironbruchew

Ironbruchew FHF Newbie

[glow=red,2,300]Some hockey balls have dimples, others dont. Is there a specific reason for this or is it just a matter of what the manufacturer chooses?[/glow] :baffled: ???

2. apreshockey

apreshockey FHF Regular Player

Think it's partly down to dimpled balls being able to travel across a wet pitch with aquaplaning.......

3. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

yeah thats what i have heard aswell dimple balls are supposed to be less sticky

4. johncoxon

johncoxon FHF Legend

The Kookaburra company invented the dimple hockey ball specifically for artificial surfaces and maybe its characterics on wet pitches was a natural benefit not orginally designed for . Kookaburra was the official ball for the 1956 Olympic Games so its design goes back further than you’d expect . My guess is that the smooth surface composite ball was invented first and some manufacturers haven’t included dimples because the smoothe ball may be cheaper to manufacture . think Apres has a point that it is an advantage on water based surfaces and of course international competitions are played on the wet.

5. Crone

Crone FHF Starter

I prefer dimple balls :yes:

6. wjonesy

wjonesy FHF Newbie

smooth ball would actually be better for hydroplaning not dimpled. but you would have to have a 2-4mm layer of water on top of the surface for this to happen, and ive only played a few times in these conditions and it slowed the ball down. i dont know if a sperical object would hydroplane, i'll look into it.

balls are dimpled for the same reason as golf balls are, increased speed in the air, or the turf in hockey. they do also make the ball less 'sticky' as NicfromSweden said.

wjonesy

7. 4star

4star FHF Regular Player

dimple helps with touch and helps a tonne on drag flicks (i refuse to dragflick smooth balls cause it can slip of stick easier)

8. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

i think the dimples also enable the ball to 'bite' into the turf for better control aspects

9. johncoxon

johncoxon FHF Legend

Didn't know that cricket balls are the same weight and dimensions as a hockey ball. ( just read on the net researching the etymology of the word hockey. Hoquet is Old French for a curved stick but that as an orgin for the name of the game cannot be proven according to my Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology , one of my favourite books and the most I ever paid for one !

10. johncoxon

johncoxon FHF Legend

Looked this up and found some stuff related to golf balls which may shed some light while i wait for Kukabora to get back to me as I asked them.

Dimples are added to golf balls based on the aerodynamics of drag on a sphere. There are two types of drag experienced by a sphere. The first is the drag due to friction but that only accounts for a small part of the drag experienced by a ball. The majority of the drag comes from the separation of the flow behind the ball and is known as pressure drag due to separation. For laminar flow past a smooth sphere, the flow separates very early but in a dimpled ball ( for a turbulent flow) separation is delayed . The dimples also help in the generation of lift. By keeping the flow attached, the dimples help promote an asymmetry of the air flow in the wake. Back to the history of the dimpled ball. I doubt that early artificial pitches were wet so can't see how the orginal design is influenced by hydrodynamics. My guess is that a dimpled spherical ball has less surface area in touch with the mat and thus travels faster?

11. fh4me2000

fh4me2000 FHF Regular Player

Dimple balls leave a nicer mark when struck on the body...... :yes: lol

12. otss

otss FHF Top Player

John - Pretty certain it was 1976 and not 1956 that Kookaburra balls were first used at the Olympics. It was also the first Olympics on a synthetic surface and the first time a non leather ball was used.

Talkinghockey.net had this discussion a while ago and after a lot of scientific reasonings and urban myths were brought up it was general considered that there was no real reasoning or advantage to having a dimpled ball over a smooth ball. Gripping , sticking to turf etc all depends on the paste compound of the ball not how many dimples it has.

SPetitt likes this.
  13. bighitter

bighitter FHF Regular Player

Dimpled balls do tend to be nicer to hit, though I think not because of the dimples. They're harder to make, so cheap nasty balls are often smooth, and well made balls might be smooth or dimpled. So chances are that dimpled balls are better balls.
    The other week our centre forward said just before the game start, "Nice! It's a Kookaburra dimple!" Sure enough it was great.

14. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

Yea the something with the dimples are nicer to play with, not sure why but they are better. Also they tend to pick the sand up that they move over, and travel further than the smooth ball.

Thats jsut what ive seen, but im not sure why the dimple is used really.

15. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Craggsy - As I have explained above it has nothing to do with the dimples it is the paste compound of the ball that makes the difference. You can get pkenty of terrible dimple balls (normally made in India) as oppossed to Kookaburra or say Chingford made balls

16. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

wjonesy, you dont get hydroplaning on hard spherical objects, they need a considerable amount of area to be contacting the ground before hydroplaning will have an effect.

the dimples actually do have a few effects, contact on the ball is smoother (ie you dont get that 'stickiness' with most flat balls) basically less surface area on the stick mens less friction welds build up. as johncoxon said, putting them on the balls gives them more speed when in the air, although you would think that would be kind of opposite of what you want considering how everybody is going on about danger these days. the last one, and from what im told the reason that the dimples are used: when you hit or push the ball, everytime it will go in the air at the start, even for the tiniest amount of time, when that happens the stick will put underspin on the ball, the ball will travel a short distance with the underspin on it then will revert into overspin. this underspin slows the ball down slightly and it accentuates any error in the hit (if you are going slightly right the underspin will make you go further right) so the earlier the ball gets into overspin the better, and they found out that the dimpled balls did this faster. its the same with gold balls while putting.

17. G

G FHF All Time Great

Yeah, this was a topic I brought up over there about 5 years ago (but the original post has been archived - in fact it might have been before George has his website URL hijacked back when it was talkhockey.net) and again more recently - http://www.talkinghockey.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1162992379/1#1

There was lots of discussion in the now archived thread by some guy who had carried out serious research into golf balls and the results if extrapolated into hockey should show that we use a smooth ball on sand turfs and a dimple on wet turfs.

I liked the best idea - it stops snakes in Australia mistaking them for eggs and trying to eat them after practice!! lol lol lol

18. johncoxon

johncoxon FHF Legend

according to what I have found on several websites including K's , it was back in 1956 " Kookaburra Hockey Balls have been exclusively used in every Olympic Games since 1956 "

19. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

yes but they were leather I think
    Wasn't it Victa who produced a synthetic covered ball with traditional wound string center?
    Players seemed to like them..... I wouldn't be qualifed to comment
    the biggest advantage of synthetic balls is not having to re - paint a dozen of the things after every match!>

SPetitt likes this.
  20. johncoxon

johncoxon FHF Legend

According the company website the dimpled ball was introduced in 1956 and must have been a composite.