Different Styles of Indoor in different Nations

Discussion in 'Indoor' started by DoubleR, Sep 29, 2008.

1. DoubleR

DoubleR FHF Regular Player

Guys I'd like to ask a vague question and I hope it can be met with some answers.

I am aware that around Europe different nations take vastly different approaches to indoor hockey. Can anybody summarise the approach of their country in contrast to another? For example what is it about Sweden that makes them different to Australia? Is it in the shapes you play? Movement of players? Is it that you have more set-plays to run?

I really want to understand as many different ways of approaching the indoor game as possible to make my indoor coaching as effective as possible for the coming indoor season.

Many thanks,

RR

2. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Sweden and the whole of scandinavia play hockey the German way which basicly is a 2-1-2 zone defence that can either be offensive, semi offencive or defensive i would say a lot of the goals are scored during counter attacks in this system, the downside is that the team have to be very tactical and know how to play together to make the zonal defence work on the oposite of a man to man defence where you your ability to run for a whole game is more important

3. DoubleR

DoubleR FHF Regular Player

Thanks Nic!

I am curious about the zone defence - playing against a team using a zone defence I may be tempted to overload one of the zones... how do you work against this?

Can I ask what different styles you come up against and why you find this system effective against them?

Also do you run set-plays often in the game? Like specific systems for working the ball from defence to attack?

Thanks again! I know there is not always a "correct" answer and apologise that some of these questions are not very specific!

4. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

we play against zone defence about 90 percent of the time but there are ways of trying to break it down

the most important thing is the pass a lot betwen the defenders so you force their forwards to moveyou can also pass your midfielder who should move betwen the mid and the sideboard marked as xm the forwards marked as xf should move betwen these 3 positions and if the ball is on their right side you should have one player in the right corner and one in the middle, if the mid player get the ball by the sideboard you should have a forward in the middle for a quick pass past the forward to the top of the cirkle

| |
    | |
    | xm|
    |____x_______x___|
    | xm |
    | x |
    | |
    |x xf x|
    |xf xf|

i know the diagram is poor but i hope it helps i just want to remind you this is not THE way to do it its one way to do it